Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Buying a new sofa

(17 Posts)
sarah00001 Fri 20-Feb-15 13:08:46

Hi, I'm currently 21 and a half wks pregnant. My current sofa is really old and tatty and I need to buy a new one. I have read that you should be careful when buying new furniture when pregnant due to chemicals, such as fire retardants, and that they apparently off-gas for a period of time. Should I go ahead an purchase one anyway and keep the windows open for a week or so until the 'new furniture smell' disappears, or should I not buy one at all to be on the safe side? I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you, Sarah

MissTwister Fri 20-Feb-15 13:13:32

It's a very hard question as no-one knows if they have any effect or not. There is NO EVIDENCE at all that they do any harm but there was a report from the Royal College of Obstetrics saying women 'might want to avoid, just in case.'

This 'just in case' seems to be a theme. It's all ridiculous really. I need all new kitchen equipment and apparently new frying pans are a baby death trap too. It really makes me angry that no-one has any clue so just tell us to avoid things just in case. It makes life very hard and anxiety inducing.

I bought a sofa just before I got pregnant and it did smell for a while but what are you going to do? Wait until the child is grown up and chemicals don't affect them? Me I am going to not fry things for the next 18 years....

sarah00001 Fri 20-Feb-15 13:20:47

Thanks MissTwister. I get so angry too with all the advice on things we are supposed to avoid. It makes day to day living almost impossible.

MissTwister Fri 20-Feb-15 13:24:36

Sorry I got all ranty on my post! I really do want a new frying pan though and am fretting about it but feel annoyed that I am.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 20-Feb-15 13:39:24

I didn't even know this was a potential problem, we got a new sofa when I was about 24 weeks pregnant last time round!

Stinkylinky Fri 20-Feb-15 13:59:40

All the stuff we are told to avoid is crazy! I just use common sense and gut feelings!

33goingon64 Fri 20-Feb-15 14:03:47

We had a new sofa delivered days before DS was born. I bf-ed him on it every day for 9 months!

LollieLoves Fri 20-Feb-15 14:28:23

I decided I'd rather get new furniture while pregnant than when there's a newborn in the house. Figured I'd be more worried about fumes and SIDS, than any theoretical risk from me breathing anything in that would then have to cross the placenta. Otherwise I could see us stuck with the same furniture till she went to school......

weeblueberry Fri 20-Feb-15 14:58:57

Air your living room for a good couple of hours after it arrives if you're worried. But Lollie is right. If it's something that was a concern then walking down the street and inhaling car fumes is much more likely to cause an issue.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 20-Feb-15 15:10:19

I wouldn't buy a new sofa when pregnant, but more cos there's a good chance it'll get wrecked in the next few months than anything else. Mmmmmmm baby vomit and leaking nappies grin

BitchBags Fri 20-Feb-15 15:23:16

If you're worried could you get a carpet cleaner to clean it with? we moved into our first home together in my last pregnancy and had to buy a second hand sofa due to funds but I spent the afternoon cleaning our big corner sofa with a carpet cleaner as it stunk of cigarettes. Not the same I know but if it worked for cigarette fumes it might work for chemicals?

skinnylegs33 Fri 20-Feb-15 16:05:25

Hey,
This is interesting as I'm currently set on buying a new sofa before baby arrives (currently 16w). The leather one we have is quite old, no longer comfy to sleep in, takes a lot of space (and we will need all the room we can get) and I find it filthyblush Dog's hair in places I can't possibly reach and it bothers me a lot. Dh does not agree - he really likes this one - and am trying to persuade him with no success so far.

MissTwister does that apply to ceramic pans as well? I'm currently a big fan of NaturePan, I think they're really well made and last quite a while x

MissTwister Fri 20-Feb-15 16:11:34

I think it's mostly non-stick frying pans that will kill you and everyone you know.

Will look into NaturePan, thanks!

m33r Fri 20-Feb-15 17:14:37

I got a sofa delivered a few weeks ago and it has stunk but I didn't realise this was a 'thing'. I have been religious about everything else - would be a shame to be caught out by a sofa when I've avoided goats cheese for nine months! confused

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Fri 20-Feb-15 17:19:47

What if your waters broke on the new sofa? helpful

sarah00001 Tue 24-Feb-15 02:46:41

Thanks everyone for your advice. I also emailed a furniture shop and they said it would be fine, although there would be a smell for a while. I'm going to go ahead and buy one and leave the windows open for a bit.

jennymor123 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:34:02

Coming to this late. However, it is not true to say there is no evidence that the chemicals in sofas can be damaging to health. There is tons of evidence. The government itself published links to lots of research showing this in its consultation on changing the flammability laws (in August 2014). You can't easily avoid flame retardants in sofas altogether but if you want to dodge the worst kinds, go for IKEA or leather. And if you want a completely chemical-free mattress or sofa bed (sofas to come soon) try Cambridge Natural Mattress: cambridgenaturalmattress.co.uk/ I don't work for them! But I have a background in furniture testing and can vouch for the authenticity of their products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now