Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan, very worried!

(31 Posts)
cremedecacao Mon 24-Nov-14 20:43:50

Had an early scan today (6 + 3 weeks)after very light spotting (which has now stopped) and we could only see the gestational sac which was 12.7mm. No yolk sac or embryo. Not what I expected for a 6 week scan.

Dc says he thinks I am actually 5 weeks and that I need another scan in 2 weeks. Struggling to see how I am 5 weeks as I track all my dates carefully.

Although I still feel pregnant I am worried it is a blighted ovum as I have read that empty gestational sacs over 12mm are usually a failed pregnancy sad

Any advances on my theory?

addictedtosugar Mon 24-Nov-14 21:08:57

6 week scans are not guaranteed to see a hb.
My no hb at 6+4 is now 5 yrs old.
His brother had a hb at 6+0.
Both were born within 1 day of the edd.

The sizes of something so small, via ultrasound aren't massively accurate, and a mm is enough to make a big difference in dates.

You say you know your dates, but do you know when conception actually occurred? Unless via IVF, you don't know exactly when sperm met egg, so if you ovulate slightly later that average, and it took a few days for fertilization to occur, you can easily be slightly earlier than you think.

The fact that you have stopped spotting is really good news, and hopefully in 2 weeks (which are likely to be a very long 2 weeks, on constant knicker watch), you will get to see a bean with a heartbeat.

cremedecacao Mon 24-Nov-14 21:17:01

Thank you. It just worries me that we saw a healthily growing sac with nothing in it. Hoping Dr is right and that I ovulated late/sperm took longer or something.

He also told me I have a tilted womb, this wouldn't affect the scan though, would it?

Very tearful tonight thinking that there may be no baby sad must keep positive!

mumxof3x Mon 24-Nov-14 21:30:40

My gestational sac was 17mm and empty, I also have a titled womb. I went back 12 days later to a fetal pole with a hb. Iv also found tilted womb in my case has caused the measurments to be innaccurate before 12wk scan. I was always put back when I knew it wasnt possible. Then by 12wks its been fine. I wouldnt worry too much just yet having a tilted womb can make things very tricky for the scanner to pick up so early on x

Purplefrogshoes Mon 24-Nov-14 22:43:06

I had a 6 week scan and could only see the sac went back 2 weeks later and could see yolk sac etc. I measured 2 weeks out but I also have a tilted womb and when I went back 3 weeks later all was well and my dates matched up to the scan. I'm now 15 weeks. I wouldn't worry at this stage

cremedecacao Tue 25-Nov-14 19:05:23

Thank you thank you thank you.

This is what I needed to hear after reading a lot of gloomy reports about blighted ovum.

Interesting that we all have tilted wombs, I have read that there could be a link. He spotted the tilt straight away and had a big of a dig around with the camera(not terribly comfortable) but couldn't see anything other than the sac.

Fingers crossed for me!

JollyGolightly Tue 25-Nov-14 20:25:37

I had a worrying early scan yesterday, saw a heartbeat but the measurements put me at 5+2 when I'm 7+3 by my dates. I also have a tilted womb! Didn't realise it could be so problematic, it never has been before. I've now got to wait till Monday 8th for a follow up scan. So little comforting advice from me but we are in the same rather anxious boat. Xx

Pandapickle100 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:39:31

Hi, I had a 17mm sac with no hb at 6 weeks with tilted uterus and 10 days later a hb... I convinced myself it was a blighted ovum and put myself through hell. Stop googling and try to relax... It doesn't have to be bad news. I'm 36 weeks today! Good luck x

cremedecacao Tue 25-Nov-14 22:21:44

Jolly- my next scan is also the 8th and my scan was yesterday too! We are in this together.

These stories of larger gestational sacs is so encouraging. I thought it was doom and gloom if over 12 and empty, but evidently this is not always true. Thank you Panda, I am relaxing a little more after a night and a day of feeling sick with worry.

JollyGolightly Wed 26-Nov-14 13:06:35

It's crap, isn't it?

I convinced myself that my symptoms had disappeared this morning but then had a dizzy turn and had to sit down with my head on the table.

I've had miscarriages before so not wildly optimistic for myself. But it is interesting about the titled womb issues.

In your case, 6+3 would still be quite early to see an embryo/heartbeat, and if you were even slightly out with your date calculation it would make a difference.

cremedecacao Wed 26-Nov-14 17:56:31

Do you think? It's my first pregnancy so I don't really know. I keep checking my symptoms too. The head over toilet bowl at work this morning was a pretty good one! Fingers crossed for you x

JollyGolightly Wed 26-Nov-14 19:24:22

Yup that does sound convincing!

cremedecacao Tue 02-Dec-14 23:08:54

I had started to relax, but I am now worrying again even though I am still having lots of symptoms.

Mumof3x - you say your G Sac was 17mm and empty, do you mean no yolk sac or fetal pole? I thought above 12mm and no yolk sac was almost always bad news? I had neither at 12.7mm a week ago.

Allstoppedup Tue 02-Dec-14 23:12:56

My 6 week empty yolk sac is currently 21lb and having a little late night boob feed and making yummy noises.grin

Hope everything goes well at your next scan. flowers

Allstoppedup Tue 02-Dec-14 23:14:49

That was with a 14mm sac, no foetal pole by the by. flowers

cremedecacao Tue 02-Dec-14 23:30:03

Thank you. Was there a yolk sac? I'm not sure of my chances with no yolk sac OR fetal pole confused I am so hoping this works out.

Allstoppedup Tue 02-Dec-14 23:41:02

We just had a gestational sac on the first go, then I went into hospital with HG (at 7 weeks) and we had several scans after that. It went Gestational sac- Yolk sac- foetal pole- heartbeat.

Hope you get good news. It's such an anxious time. I know it's not an exact science but morning sickness is supposed to be a good sign Sorry, I heard this a lot whilst being sick every hour, it made me feel stabby

cremedecacao Wed 03-Dec-14 07:08:10

Thank you smile

Yes, morning sickness is so frustrating. I keep thinking "I'd better bloody be pregnant after all this!" Feels like my body is playing tricks on me.

mumxof3x Wed 03-Dec-14 09:57:21

Sorry missed your post, no nothing at all in it on the scan just a 17mm sac with no yolk no nothing, other then a 19mm subchronic heommorhage.
Im obviously sure that there was something in it the scan just wasnt picking up as my womb is quite badly tilted and something so small can be hard to pick up anyway.
And then this pregnancy again sac was measuring 5+3 (not sure what that is in mm, but am guessing over 12mm and nothing in it again (well on the scan). All fine though 16 week now x

cremedecacao Wed 03-Dec-14 18:19:57

Thanks for replying- sorry to drag this on! That is reassuring. I think you are right, there must have been something there. The doctor did say "ooo you have a tilted womb' pretty much straight away so I guess it was quite an obvious tilt. Pleased it worked out for you!

mumxof3x Wed 03-Dec-14 19:16:19

Yes it will have been. Wish you the very best of luck smile keep us updated xx

cremedecacao Mon 08-Dec-14 12:57:34

Bad news everyone. Blighted Ovum as expected. GS had only grown a few mms. It could have gone either way I guess.

Thank you all for your support, we will try again soon.

JollyGolightly Mon 08-Dec-14 19:59:25

Oh, I am sorry. It seems very cruel to feel so awful with it, too.

My story also ends badly - I'm going to hospital for final confirmation tomorrow but the mw couldn't find a heartbeat on the scan today and it looks like the growth stopped last week.

cremedecacao Mon 08-Dec-14 22:57:59

Sorry for you too sad

Guess these ones weren't to be. I am going back tomorrow hopefully to pick up some tablets to speed up the MC. I just want it all over with now so I can move on and try again when my body is ready. Take care x

JollyGolightly Tue 09-Dec-14 20:19:55

I'm opting for medical management too. But can't get the tablets until Thurs. Currently having a bath with clary sage in to see if it kick starts the process. And a glass of champagne, what the hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now