Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Costochondritis/Tietze's in pregnancy

(19 Posts)
Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 31-Oct-14 19:50:36

After lots of drama I was diagnosed with costochondritis or Tietze's syndrome today. The doctor said it could clear up in a few weeks, but anecdotally it seems to vary and some people still suffer for years.
I'm sure that if I were able to take anti-inflammatories now it would ease it up sooner, but obviously can't due to the pregnancy.

I'm 32 weeks tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone has had this pain so late on in pregnancy and whether it affected delivery? I can barely breathe without horrific pain, so panting and pushing is going to be impossible if I'm still feeling the same as I am now. I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily and that the pain will ease up (hoping it peaked yesterday/today) and I'll be back to normal by 37 weeks, but reassurance from anyone who has experienced this would be marvellous!

Thanks smile

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 31-Oct-14 19:54:51

Not quite what you're looking for but I had it in early pregnancy (8ish weeks). It actually cleared up on it's own within a few weeks. I've had it before, a few years ago. I feel for you, it's horrible. No advice but thought I'd bump for you.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 31-Oct-14 20:01:02

Thank you Gottobe! Obviously Google only shows the extreme end of the scale, so it's great to hear from real people who did feel better within a short time!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 31-Oct-14 20:05:30

Oh and Gottobe, when it was healing did it ease gradually so you could slowly get back to business, or was it just gone one day?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 31-Oct-14 20:19:34

It eased off fairly gradually, then one day noticed it just didn't hurt anymore! Fingers crossed for you thanks

cheesecakemom Fri 31-Oct-14 20:42:42

I had this outside pregnancy for a long time. Nothing serious - I don't even think I took much other than ibuprofen (which you can't take in preg).

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 31-Oct-14 21:28:35

Cheesecake I know it's not serious, but my god, it's seriously painful grin I'll never take ibuprofen for granted again.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 31-Oct-14 22:12:13

Relaxin production during pregnancy makes ligaments softer and joints more flexible. This is a reasonable explanation for you developing costochondritis recently. It is very painful. Maintaining good posture might help (don't slump or hunch as this will compress the joints/cartilage), it's slso worth thinking about sleeping positions to avoid compressing the breast bone. Underwiref bras can sometimes aggravate it. Unfortunately thats pretty much it when you're pregnant.

If it is down to your hormones it may improve/worsen as level of relaxin changes throughout your pregnancy, and should completely resolve once you have the baby.

cheesecakemom Sat 01-Nov-14 05:49:47

Are you on paracetamol ? Was advised this for my spd and hips + an ice pack! Hope you feel better soon.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 01-Nov-14 07:48:32

I had before pregnant with ds1 now 4yrs was admitted to hospital as was having pain on breathing and they didn't know what it was and then diagnosed that n I am allergy to anti inflam drugs so had co codamol which is safe in pregnancy with medical agreement

Is it chosto or tieztz as the latter means the lining is infected as well as inflamed whereas chosto is just inflamed.

Bloody painful n hope you feel better soon although sure baby position won't help too much.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 10:42:56

Eastmids I'm not sure which I've got as the doctor used them interchangeably, though I know from reading that there's a difference.
I also spent all night in A&E being tested for heart attack/blood clot in lung, but they didn't diagnose this, just told me it was muscular and to go home. Went to the GP in the morning as I was in so much pain I felt suicidal, and he diagnosed this.
I'm on 30/500 co-codamol though it's not touching the pain, it is at least making me drowsy now it's accumulated a bit.
Thanks for all the advice and sympathy! I'll just hope that it clears itself up before delivery; I'm scared of not being able to breathe through labour pain because of this chest pain!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 10:44:26

Ah just remembering that the hospital mentioned that my white blood cells were up, so that could signify an infection. Could well be Tietze's then? Bleh.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:08:41

Tietze's isn't due to infection. (Not as far as I'm aware confused) It's inflammation and swelling of the cartilage.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 11:14:41

Yeah the NHS website says the difference is swelling. I don't know. All I know is pain.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 01-Nov-14 14:50:50

No chance you could have a chest infection is there?

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 15:46:42

I had a chest infection recently Bellyrub; the GP said that and the six-week cough I had probably contributed to the inflammation?

Bellyrub1980 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:19:51

Definitely, especially combined with the effects of relaxin. A pp mentioned ice, I'd second this actually, or maybe something cool. And posture, keep your chest open.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 19:18:52

Yy sitting up with a straight back is the only comfortable position; assume that's because my ribcage isn't being crushed or leant on.
Fingers crossed it clears itself up in enough time that I'm back to normal before delivery. I've got so much still to do!
Thanks for all your comments smile

Katejudgemusic Sun 02-Oct-16 14:33:07

Did you ever find relief? Or did your Costo subside after pregnancy? Feeling so hopeless and in agony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now