Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton Hicks - but I can't feel at thing??

(17 Posts)
kitkat321 Tue 02-Sep-14 21:15:50

Had an appointment with the MW today- just under 27 weeks.

All was fine and well - baby kept trying to kick the doppler mic away again (she does this every time and seems to be quite an angry baby when disturbed!).

When MW went to examine my tummy she commented "oh you've got Braxton Hicks - can you feel that". Erm no, I couldn't feel a thing which she seemed a bit surprised at - no tightenings or crampings - nothing other than baby kicking the crap out of me as usual.

I always though it would be something that I'd noticed - I haven't even noticed my tummy getting tight.

Is this quite common or am I just not paying attention? Been trying to concentrate it all day but still can't feel a thing!!

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 02-Sep-14 21:24:52

Do you feel period pain normally? If not then you probabky won't feel it. (High pain threshold I was told). I didn't feel any braxton hicks at all with my first. During labour, I also don't feel all my contractions.

With my second, I'm much more aware of changes. It is not painful at all but I now know what a braxton hicks feel like because I have felt contractions.

HTH.

ajandjjmum Tue 02-Sep-14 21:28:25

For a good month before DD was born I was having regular traces, and apparently contractions were always showing, but I couldn't feel a thing. When they came to induce me, I was 3 cm dilated - nice surprise! grin

MrsWombat Tue 02-Sep-14 21:29:16

I had the same. Went in to hospital to be induced and got put on the monitoring machine and the midwife couldn't understand why i couldn't feel the contractions.....until I had the drip....

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 02-Sep-14 21:31:55

Yes basically I discovered I didn't feel all contractions because of the monitoring machine during labour. And also when in second stage, the midwife had her hand on my tummy to tell me when to push.

kitkat321 Tue 02-Sep-14 21:36:20

I used to get horrendous period pains when I was younger but not any more - I barely notice when I have my period.

I wouldn't have said I have an amazing pain threshold but clearly I'm not very well in tune with my body although if that bodes well for a less painful labour I'll happily take that!!!

MrsPatMustard Wed 03-Sep-14 09:08:51

Exactly the same happened with me. As the pregnancy went on they became more noticeable - the bump goes all hard and sometimes would be a pointy shape during Braxton Hicks.

Missingcaffeine Wed 03-Sep-14 09:25:49

I don't generally feel braxton hicks, but notice if I poke my tummy it is rock hard all over when I have them, and then it softens again. Some braxton hicks are a bit uncomfortable all over tummy, but I'd never describe as a pain.

squizita Wed 03-Sep-14 10:13:56

Not everyone feels braxton hicks: nothing to do with being 'in tune' - just one of those things (HCP and leaflets do mention they vary wildly as to how they feel). My belly goes tight and I notice it then, but nothing more. It has no bearing (based on anecdote) on pain during labour.

Sadly period pains (or lack thereof) also have nothing to do with pain threshold: the sensation isn't there in all women, and not all women cramp during their period. It doesn't mean you'll cope with pain easier (also pain thresholds vary depending on the type of pain and location: for example someone with 'asbestos hands' who can hold a burning hot pan no one else could bear, but muscular pain which another person would 'stretch through' plagues them).

I know a couple of people who thought lack of period pain and Braxton Hicks would mean an easy labour... theirs were the same as everyone elses!

squizita Wed 03-Sep-14 10:16:27

To put this into context - I have such a low pain threshold it helped diagnose a condition I have.
I've never really had period pains (although I have very heavy periods).

CoolCat2014 Wed 03-Sep-14 11:17:10

I get braxton hicks without feeling them.

I get very severe period pains, so nothing to do with that! Prob would say my pain threshold is higher because of it... But don't know what I'll be like in labour yet!

ruth1104 Wed 03-Sep-14 17:51:51

I've just realised in the past couple of days that the reason walking (or moving) is sometimes more of a strain than others is because I'm having Braxton Hicks. Like you I've got a super active little one, a lot of the time it feels like it's pressing it's back up against my tummy or trying to get out through my belly button! So up until now I've assumed the pressure I was feeling was just the baby. I have read that it's usual to not feel much and for them to gradually get stronger through the pregnancy though (I'm 34 weeks)

splendide Wed 03-Sep-14 18:25:11

Oh hang on then - I think I'm having some Braxton Hicks! I didn't know that's what the tightening was. I thought it was the baby pressing back.

redexpat Wed 03-Sep-14 21:01:07

Didnt feel them at all with my first. It was only when I was hooked up to the monitor that the very sweet and lovely student mw told me I'd had 2 in the last 20 minutes. Am 29w with no.2 but havent felt any yet.

jaykay34 Wed 03-Sep-14 22:03:12

Exactly the same happened with me the other day ! The midwife literally told me that I was having strong BH and I felt nothing at all !

kitkat321 Thu 04-Sep-14 08:52:19

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I almost felt the need to "fake it" when she kept asking me "do you not feel that?"

Still haven't felt anything other than the baby's usual kicking/sommersaults!

MrsPatMustard Sat 06-Sep-14 06:56:05

I think the 'easier labour' thing is a myth. I certainly didn't find it easy. My baby got stuck and was pushing for nearly 3 hours before they intervened with forceps. However, Braxton Hicks are there to help prepare the body for labour, and as such, some people say they can help make the contractions more efficient and help things progress in the early stages. Don't know if this is true or not but I did go from 1cm to fully dilated in 6 hours, which the midwives said was pretty quick for a first labour....so maybe there's something in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now