Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should DP stop drinking for impending labour?

(12 Posts)
Rhubarb321 Tue 02-Sep-14 19:27:37

If your partner lived/worked roughly 50mins away (and all your other labours have been precipitous) when would to expect him to pack in all drinking to be on immediate call for labour?

ohbladee Tue 02-Sep-14 19:31:33

Meh. He could get a taxi.

(I would hope we'd be living together by that point though tbh...)

Inbl00m Tue 02-Sep-14 19:37:12

I'm not sure I would tbh. He could still have 1 and drive, or just get a taxi. I'm due in a coupld of weeks and have asked dh to let me know roughly where he'll be for work but not much more than that. He'll be there when he needs to be.

squizita Tue 02-Sep-14 19:37:40

Mine doesn't drive but I have told him not to even tiptoe near the tipsy zone after 39 weeks. As it is he checks whenever he picks up a couple of beers on the way past the corner shop at 38 weeks (Erm like I'd be sitting here contracting and not tell him)!

Inbl00m Tue 02-Sep-14 19:40:51

Argh posted before I'd finished writing, stupid phone thumbs. Meant to also say I'm sure what works will be different for different couples!

CleanLinesSharpEdges Tue 02-Sep-14 19:41:35

I wouldn't.

I would however expect him to be responsible for getting himself to the hospital/birth and if that means he has to pay for a taxi because he's over the limit to drive himself, then that's his problem.

Rhubarb321 Tue 02-Sep-14 20:06:15

I'm talking not going out and having 4+ pints!

I have made my own arrangements for getting to hospital so not relying on him for anything and considering the length of my other births if he is not with me when it happens then he will not make it anyway!

Yes he could get a taxi but calling and waiting on a taxi will add prob at least another 30 mind to journey!

With just over two weeks to go I thought he would now be making a effort to not be drinking so he is unable to drive and would at least be ready to get the call and jump into action ASAP, but maybe I'm unreasonable to expect him to try his best to be at the birth of out child

Rhubarb321 Tue 02-Sep-14 20:07:52

Also if it was one pint after work then that's no issue but he even admits himself it's never 1, 4 is the absolute minimum he would drink if popping in pub

BeginnerSAHM Tue 02-Sep-14 20:21:31

Two precipitous labours here too. And they were both early. So would be annoyed if my DH had more than about 3 pints after I hit 32 weeks... Were your last births near the due date? But my DH is a light weight wink and I kind of need him to be functioning enough to deal with any premature/having a baby at home with paramedics on the way situations. Can live without him driving although prefer him to be able to. I'm mostly worried about the current two children - I need him to be able to at least keep them calm and out of the way. (Luckily, I have nice neighbours and very lovely very local friends if necessary...). Eek. You've got me thinking about the actual birth bit now... Seem to remember it hurting quite a lot too... wink. Anyway, my DH isn't a big drinker so I doubt that'll be an issue (touch wood).

RetroHippy Tue 02-Sep-14 20:28:02

Around the time you concieve.

DH is currently drinking for two and giving me the rage angry

Rhubarb321 Tue 02-Sep-14 20:34:03

Beginner I have had 3 precipitous labours, my first was 50mins from waking to having dd in my arms, my last was one mild pain at 5pm, one mild pain at 1.30am when I went to hospital to get checked sat chatting to midwife who checked me at 2.20am said I was 5cm with that contractions started, waters broke and went from 5cm to her on my chest in 12 minutes, it all happens do fast midwife had her hands there trying to slow her down and stop her flying out because I didn't even push!

All my 3 dc were a few days late but this pregnancy has been very different and I'm having a lot of braxon hicks and a lot of pressure down below and midwife has confirmed baby is very very low so part of me wonders if this one may come any time!

I have excellent support around me in friends/neighbours just minutes away who will be on call so not worried snout that.

Just a tad annoyed that with two weeks Togo he is still off out for the night and has a few more booked in where he will get pretty pissed, due to work we are only together half the week then rest of the time he is 50 mins away

And yes your right when they are that quick it does bloody hurt shock

butternut22 Tue 02-Sep-14 20:43:05

I would not want my husband to drink at all from about 36 weeks. If he was pissed during my labour it would infuriate me beyond belief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now