Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tips for surviving office work

(11 Posts)
firstpregnancy2014 Tue 02-Sep-14 12:39:14

I am 28 weeks pregnant- due to finish maternity at 39 weeks exactly. Boss understand i might change my mind about this and go off earlier- work wise im fine, i get home everynight and feel fine at the moment and i am more than capable of continueing my work for now however

My back is killing me, my upper back aches and i get so rest-less sat down in the same place all day- doesnt anyone have any tips?
I have tried to improve my posture and sit straight back in my chair but then my bump hits the desksad

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 02-Sep-14 12:53:49

I experienced similar. I took regular breaks to ease my back (every hour) and my office also had a small "first aid" office with a medical bed where I'd go to lie flat and ease my back half way through the day. Not all places will have something like that, although it's worth asking...

Flissity83 Tue 02-Sep-14 12:57:11

I also recommend getting up and walking around. Drink lots of water. It's uncomfortable but try and stay as close to due date as possible. You'll want those extra weeks when it's time to go back.

booksshoescats Tue 02-Sep-14 12:58:23

I've had very stiff lower back and pain in my coccyx since early second trimester. Have been seeing an osteopath and it has made a huge difference. I try to see her every two to three weeks - if I leave it longer than that the pain definitely increases, with regular visits it's more than manageable. I also do a sedentary office job, so I feel your pain! I also get restless legs (although at night) and acupuncture helps with this (if that's what you mean by 'restless').

Ange77 Tue 02-Sep-14 13:01:13

On my previous pregnancy (last year) I had the worlds worst posture at my desk, I was slouched down in my chair with my legs crossed under the desk. It was the only way I could sit for longish periods of time. I also had a foot support which was suppose to help by raising my feet up but I kept forgetting to use it.
Its really tricky to get comfortable especially the further you get into your pregnancy. Best advice is get up and walk around quite regularly. Incidently, I found that if I was really stationary throughout the day I ended up with really painful leg cramps in the evening. Hope you find a comffy position. Try and stay at work as long as you can though, those extra weeks mean so much more once your baby is here then before.

Ange77 Tue 02-Sep-14 13:01:59

On my previous pregnancy (last year) I had the worlds worst posture at my desk, I was slouched down in my chair with my legs crossed under the desk. It was the only way I could sit for longish periods of time. I also had a foot support which was suppose to help by raising my feet up but I kept forgetting to use it.
Its really tricky to get comfortable especially the further you get into your pregnancy. Best advice is get up and walk around quite regularly. Incidently, I found that if I was really stationary throughout the day I ended up with really painful leg cramps in the evening. Hope you find a comffy position. Try and stay at work as long as you can though, those extra weeks mean so much more once your baby is here then before.

MediumOrchid Tue 02-Sep-14 13:11:52

Can you ask your work for a better chair, one that supports your back better? Your work ought to carry out a DSE assessment where they can reccommend things to help you, like they would for someone with a 'normal' bad back.

Last pregnancy I had to sit with a cushion in the small of my back or it got too painful. Strangely this pregnancy is much better in terms of back ache (so far!).

ToniWol Tue 02-Sep-14 13:43:36

I agree a with a cushion and walking round regularly. Am currently 30 weeks and the back is playing up during the day although it eases off with movement, so I think mine is partly stiffness.

I've also got my chair back reclined quite far back which is helping a little with making more room for the bump!

Eastwiththem Tue 02-Sep-14 16:42:39

Ask for a visit from someone in occupational health (most big companies will offer this, if you work in a small company they still should be able to get someone in). They will check out your desk and chair and be able to suggest how it could be made more comfortable for you depending on which muscles exactly are hurting.

GeorgiexXx Tue 02-Sep-14 16:47:11

I take a small lavender bag into work. I can heat it in the microwave and place it behind my back when sat at the computer.

FantasticMrsFoxx Tue 02-Sep-14 21:05:49

Ask work if they can raise your desk (eg with wooden blocks) so your chair/bump fit comfortably under it. I had this in my old job cos the desks were so low and I've got long legs (so was getting sore knees) but it's already been mentioned as an option for me in my new job, as bump grows. You need to be comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now