Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta praevia - when did they book your c-section?

(20 Posts)
Annbag Mon 01-Sep-14 18:49:35

Hi all,

I had this identified at my 20 week scan and at 35 weeks its still covering. The sonographer and the 2 doctors I saw said they'd be surprised if it moved now but they'll rescan at week 37.

I'm a bit worried because they are looking to book me in for week 39, but I've also been told it's extremely dangerous to go into natural labour, so seems a bit late to me? Anyone else had an experience of this? Should I ask for an earlier section?

Thank you

I had mine at 37+1

No complications, it just hadn't moved. I was different though in that I lived in the middle of nowhere so had to rent a place near a hospital as if is gone into labour I'd have probably died (not over dramatic, I was at least 2 hours from a hospital)

If I hadn't been paying rent and away from my family just waiting they'd have let me go till 38 or maybe 39 weeks but for the sake of my bank balance I begged for it to be earlier!

Annbag Mon 01-Sep-14 19:05:02

Thank you, I'm fairly near the hospital but I think I'll ask for earlier, I don't fancy risking it!

HaPPy8 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:08:11

My hospital admits you from 36 weeks in case you start to bleed, but the section is booked for 39 weeks if you don't.

AuditAngel Sun 07-Sep-14 09:22:47

I had PP twice. The policy with DD1 was 38 weeks, but this was my birthday and I refused that date! Eventually negotiated to 37+4, but had been an in patient (only due to continuous bleeding, not hospital policy) since 31+4.

With DD2 my EMCS was booked for 37 weeks (hospital policy by then 39 weeks) but had been in and out since 24 weeks with bleeding), had been in since 33 weeks this time, eventually had EMCA at 36+1

Panzee Sun 07-Sep-14 09:25:03

I was in hospital "just in case" at 37 weeks, and had my section at 38. No bleeding.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 07-Sep-14 09:31:41

34+5 ELCS here, but I had placenta praevia with percreta and been in from 26 weeks with bleeding, had huge baby, extra amniotic fluid and was having contractions. They originally said 37 weeks to me.

I think 39 weeks is to give the baby's lungs the best chance of development, but if you bleed before then they will keep you in and likely give you steroids to mature the baby's lungs just in case. They can have you in theatre having baby within roughly 10-15 minutes if you are an inpatient and half an hour if you are coming from home. Anything after 37 weeks is considered full term though, other ladies with PP without my extra complication were being told 38 weeks at my hospital.

Annbag Sun 07-Sep-14 11:20:01

Thanks for all your replies. I understand about waiting until 39 being better for baby, but then I've also read that if I go into natural labour that can be a big problem. As they do the ELCS on certain days of the week looks like I'll be 39+6. Am I being ridiculous asking for it to be done earlier? Haven't had any bleeds recently, not since about 20ish weeks

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 07-Sep-14 12:12:58

Push for 38+6 or 37+6. I wouldn't have wanted to go past 38 as my first two came at 39 weeks.

HaPPy8 Sun 07-Sep-14 17:12:32

I think they would be much more likely to do it at 38+6 than 39+6.

Annbag Sun 07-Sep-14 19:47:42

Thank you all. Yes, I will push for 38+6 at the latest at my next appointment, or maybe even 37+6. Feels quite funny in a way that I'm haggling with doctors over this :-) "39+6" "What about 37+6" "38+6?" "Deal!"

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 07-Sep-14 20:57:55

Haggling works, mine were saying 37 weeks for my elcs. I kept on at them saying big baby, excess fluid, high chance of early and quick labour in an emergency over stressed out, understaffed Christmas period or planned, well resourced elcs a bit earlier. Hmm which one would be better? They finally took notice when I visited labour ward three times in one week with contractions and bleeding.

FixItUpChappie Mon 08-Sep-14 02:16:50

37+1 - steroids at 34 for the lungs. I gather their are degrees of Previa though...mine was a grade 4 100% pancake on top of my cervix and I would not have been comfortable waiting till 39 TBH. it was like waiting on a pincushion for all the worry in the final stretch as it was.

All turned out fine though OP - I just want to stress that.

FixItUpChappie Mon 08-Sep-14 02:17:18

There not their - blah!

Pinksun12 Mon 08-Sep-14 03:40:35

Mine was 37+4, in-patient from 33 weeks due to bleeding, also pancake grade (liking that term fixitup) and got steroids on that day. As an in-patient they put me on a ctg nearly every day to make sure I was not having contractions and their policy was ELCS at 37/38 weeks, I don't think they would have let me go on to 39 weeks (but by then I couldn't wait to get out of hospital anyway, this was DC2 and I missed DC1!)
Good luck!

Annbag Mon 08-Sep-14 19:07:48

Thank you for all your replies. I have partial coverage, a grade 3 - a half pancake? Its reassuring to know it all turned out well for you all

Annbag Sun 21-Sep-14 17:47:17

So, in the end I never did get to that next check up and negotiations! Gave birth to DS by EMCS at 36+1 due to 2 massive bleeds. Very scary but we're both OK now. Thanks for all the support and advice mumsnetters x

FixItUpChappie Sun 21-Sep-14 18:32:37

Previa can be so frightening.....so glad you and baby are safe OP - Congratulations!!!!

thanks

LBNM19 Sun 21-Sep-14 23:01:43

Glad your ok and congratulations xx

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 21-Sep-14 23:03:54

Congratulations, glad you are both OK thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now