Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rhesus D Negative

(12 Posts)
Bumpngrind85 Mon 01-Sep-14 15:58:37

I am 22 weeks pregnant and have just received a letter from the hospital saying that I am part of the 15% of people who are Rheseus D Negative. I am being advised to have an injection to protect the baby. I don't really understand the implications of this - any one else in the same boat?

its more to prevent issues in subsequent pregnancies. It is an anti-d injection you get.

TinyMonkey Mon 01-Sep-14 16:53:40

Yep, it's nothing to worry about. I'm Rh- and have had Anti D injections twice before (following a termination and a miscarriage). I'm due one in a couple of weeks as I'm now 26 weeks pregnant.

Athyrium Mon 01-Sep-14 16:58:56

Can sound a bit scary if you have not heard of it before, but was nothing to worry about in the end. Quick jab prevents any issues. Hopefully link above will give you all the info you need, else just google it. Not often I suggest that with health related stuff!

Bumpngrind85 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:02:19

Thank you for replies everybody. From what I've read so far I can see only real complications are with a second pregnancy. I did have a miscarriage about 5 years back so technically my second baby. I was wondering whether the blood test I've just had would acknowledge any anti bodies I may have devolved since MC... hope that makes sense.

Athyrium Mon 01-Sep-14 19:17:29

Hmm don't remember..possibly. But the jab would be done as a precaution regardless I believe. And definitely more important to have it if you have had any kind of pregnancy before from what I recall. I was in the same boat, had had a couple of miscarriages...but now have 2 lovely boys that drive me mad that I adore so congrats and try not to worry, you don't need to over this. smile

BeetleandBug Mon 01-Sep-14 19:29:34

If you have a miscarriage or bleeding in pregnancy prior to 12 weeks then anti-d is not given. I think that the routine bloods taken at 12 weeks may check for antibodies, but best to check with your midwife.

I am A neg and recently had my jab, hardly felt it so nothing to worry about on that front.

I had to have it with DD as I'm O- and my dp is O+. It's fine, I hardly felt it.

Bumpngrind85 Tue 02-Sep-14 09:19:00

thank you everyone

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Sep-14 09:23:58

I am AB- and was given the Anti D jab last pregnancy. When dd was born she was also -, so I didnt need another jab after the birth (would do if she was +). This means DH is also -. However, this doesnt exempt me from needing Anti d in this pregnancy (even though it would be impossible for thos baby to be +), as, in the MW s words, "the baby may not be DHs" shock

OP your older relatives may know of this as it was referred to as Blue Baby years and years ago.

stinkypants Tue 02-Sep-14 09:24:04

If you have any bleeding you may need the jab. This was overlooked in my recent pregnancy (at 12 weeks) and the consultant was a bit twitchy about it as it was not clear where the blood was coming from. If it had been from placenta it could've been a problem. Turned out fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now