Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Wine in first trimester - how bad?

(5 Posts)
partyskirt Mon 01-Sep-14 12:13:29

I am 8 weeks pregnant and have cut out drinking as soon as I suspected I might be. I'm never a big drinker but sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner.

Well for the past few weeks I have been sleeping so terribly -- tossing and turning and having weird nightmares. I'm awake literally once an hour through the night and so, so tired.

The other evening I had half a glass of red wine with supper and a bath and had the most blissful night's sleep. A proper, deep sleep with no nightmares. I felt so much better the next day.

I just wondered whether it would be so bad to do this again at some point so I could relax and have a really nice night's sleep?

I have a toddler, and am exhausted!

squizita Mon 01-Sep-14 12:22:52

The medical advice is to avoid it alltogether, although many women have the odd glass later in pregnancy. I don't think anyone recommends it regularly in early pregnancy though.

If it is just to do with sleep, I would ask your GP or midwife for a solution - there may well be something you can use which has no controversy or risk. I know it sounds woo but I have a hypno/relaxation CD which I crack out when my insomnia hits and have for years, it seems to work wonders. I have also used herbal remedies (however you do need to speak to a trained professional if you are pregnant before buying anything as herbs are generally more dilute versions of pharmaceuticals in a way - so some definitely cannot be used in pregnancy).

partyskirt Mon 01-Sep-14 12:27:01

Yeah - it is just to do with sleep. I don't really fancy the wine otherwise, I just tried it as was crawling the walls with fatigue.

Lindalove Mon 01-Sep-14 13:07:15

The medical advice I think a bit of a misnomer. Read up on it - I think its okay to have maybe a very small glass once a week if you drink it slowly with food. I think the doctors say don't drink at all as they worry most women can't get their heads around the concept of very light drinking.

I'm avoiding it in the first 3 months (though have had half a glass of champers at my best mates wedding!) but intend to have a small glass of the best wine I can lay my hands on one a week come sept 23....

But if this is more of a relaxation thing I'd advise trying meditation, works every time for me to get me off to sleep.

juneavrile Mon 01-Sep-14 13:55:53

warm milk works for some people - like it works for babies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now