Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this carpel tunnel?

(2 Posts)
ilovechops Mon 01-Sep-14 09:09:03

Hello, 11wk pregnant with DC2. First time around no major issues so I don't have much to compare this to.

For the last 4 days I've had a really weak left wrist, I can't think of anything I might have done to cause this unless I slept awkwardly and didn't realise (?!) but it hurts a fair bit. Today my right wrist hurts slightly too but I wouldn't notice I don't think if it weren't for the other making me aware.

The pain is literally just in the wrist (doesn't extend Into the fingers at all).

Is this anything pregnancy related or just nothing? It's ok as it is but I'm guessing it might get worse if it is carpel tunnel and I'm only in the first trimester.

Anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

MummytoMog Mon 01-Sep-14 09:53:08

Unless you're puffy already, I don't think it's likely to be carpal tunnel yet. I've had it all three times, getting worse each pregnancy. With me it always started with numbness and tingling before pain, and always in the fingers before the wrist. But there's lots of other things it could be, mostly around your shoulders. Part of my problem is also caused by a trapped nerve in the shoulder and that causes pain more than numbness, in my elbow down to my wrist. I think you should see your GP rather than ask the midwife though. There's a nerve conduction test and some really simple physical checks they can do to see if it's carpal tunnel.

Try drinking lots more water (good for you anyway) and resting your hands as much as possible. Gentle massage is also good, focusing on the muscles in your forearms and the pad at the base of your thumb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now