Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GD symptoms?

(9 Posts)
FTMK Mon 01-Sep-14 08:49:37

Anyone with GD who had symptoms before diagnosis got a minute? Had a couple of funny turns in the morning - v similar to a hypo (low blood sugar) - hot, sweaty, feeling faint, dizzy, sick. Last about 10 mins. Often after first "active" bit of day e.g. Going out of house, midwife appt etc. relieved by stopping and lying down. Had one whilst at midwife appt and she took BP which was a bit low at 100/50 (obvs only 50 was low). Seem to only be mornings. I've had one urine dip with glucose but none since. She's sent off a random blood sugar and she's spoken to the doc about it and they're also sending me for a GTT but I wondered if anyone else had hypos as a symptom rather than just the highs / excessive thirst / weeing / tiredness? I appreciate that they're a result of not enough sugar but wondered if the insulin not converting the food properly could make me low in a morning hence theses episodes in a morning. Any ideas GD people?

FTMK Mon 01-Sep-14 08:50:46

Oh and I do eat breakfast and the timing seems unrelated to that - earlier or later breakfast has still caused the attacks, other days nothing.

gunwalloe Mon 01-Sep-14 10:32:34

Hi I have GD and regularly wake under 4.0 which is considered to be in a hypo. I stupidly had one yesterday while out as hadn't realised how long it had been since I had eaten. What you describe does sound like a hypo but also sounds like a anxiety attack so I wouldn't want to lead you to into any kind of diagnosis.

devoncreamtea Mon 01-Sep-14 11:32:17

I have GD too, but no hypo symptoms all though do have occasional 3's.

It is wise to be checked out, bp can cause funny feelings too - or anaemia - so may be worth keeping an eye on those too? perhaps you need to increase the cals a bit - try more protein/fat - it levels out the blood sugars and is slower metabolising. If you have a cereal based brekkie it may be that you are burning up the carb energy a tad fast and a bit of scrambled egg on wholemeal or similar, might last a bit longer. hope you don't have GD - it's a bit of a pain (in the finger...!!!)

FTMK Mon 01-Sep-14 19:04:19

Thanks ladies. I'm assuming you had other GD symptoms at some point? It's just weird as these can be anywhere between 30 mins and 2 hours after food and seem to have no link to what I've eaten or not. Will have to see what happens this week.

littleomar Mon 01-Sep-14 19:08:22

I had gd last pregnancy and had no symptoms at all. Had gtt because I was >35 and wouldn't have known otherwise.

gunwalloe Mon 01-Sep-14 19:28:29

The only other symptoms I was having which I had no idea was related to GD was thrush that wouldn't budge and reoccurring infections. Everyone's different though.

devoncreamtea Mon 01-Sep-14 20:37:10

hiya, I had the exhausted, thirsty hot thing. thought it was just work stress...! take it easy though, OP, sounds pretty unpleasant whatever it is!

FTMK Tue 02-Sep-14 18:03:48

Thanks. Not really any other symptoms. All a bit odd - same time each day (had another this morning). Earlier breakfast and getup as back at work. Really hope it's not GD but if it is at least it would maybe explain the symptoms!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now