Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy statutory sick pay

(8 Posts)
Bohemianivy Sat 30-Aug-14 18:35:46

Hi everyone I'm new to this site but was wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding statutory sick pay. I'm 21 weeks pregnant and have been off work sick for the last three weeks. I can't see me being able to return to work at the moment and my boss called me today and basically said he wants to replace me. Does anyone know if I can take sick pay until I start maternity pay?

Ohmjh Sat 30-Aug-14 18:41:25

Unless you have been signed off sick by a doctor, you will not receive sick pay unless your company does it above statutory sick pay and you cannot self certify for 7 days. It's a legal obligation for your work to modify your duties to accommodate you - if they can't do that, they can suspend you at full pay until 36 weeks when your maternity pay will set in. Be aware though, your maternity pay will be calculated soon and if you are not working, you will not meet the requirements to get anything above the statutory maternity pay of £131 per week. Even if you could just go back to work for a month, you'd have a much higher maternity pay.

JennyBlueWren Sat 30-Aug-14 20:00:01

Have you been signed off?
Your boss can't replace you if you're sick because of pregnancy.

bebebringingup Sat 30-Aug-14 20:17:31

Goodness, he can't replace you because you are pregnant!

You can take SSP or company sick pay as you would for any pregnancy/non pregnancy related sickness. However if you are still signed off due to a pregnancy related condition at 4 weeks prior to your expected week of confinement (the Sunday prior to your due date) then you will automatically start your SMP/maternity leave.

bebebringingup Sat 30-Aug-14 20:19:31

They don't have to suspend you on full pay but they do have an obligation to make adjustments to your role to enable you to stay in your role as long as possible.

Bohemianivy Mon 01-Sep-14 07:43:41

Thank you. I have been signed off by a doctor and have the evidence.

Justgotosleepnow Mon 01-Sep-14 07:49:03

You could contact the charity maternity action for advise. They will know exactly what your rights are.

Justgotosleepnow Mon 01-Sep-14 07:49:18

*advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now