Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High resistence flow in umbilical artery

(14 Posts)
Keenoonvino Wed 27-Aug-14 13:12:05

I have been being monitored for 2 days in day assessment unit for reduced movements and because one of my traces was on the high side they sent me for a scan. The sonographer reported a higher than normal flow in one of the umbilical arteries. Does anyone have any experience of this and if so, what is they do for you re delivery? I will be 33 weeks tomorrow. I am going back tomorrow for another trace and scan...

ColdTeaAgain Wed 27-Aug-14 16:47:00

High resistive index in the umbilical artery is often associated with pre-eclampsia or growth restriction. They will check it again tomorrow and if it is still reading high, they will want to keep a close eye on you.

Did they measure baby today at the scan, where the measurements ok?

Please don't panic, if there is a problem then the main is that it's been picked up. Much worse when these things go undetected.

Keenoonvino Wed 27-Aug-14 17:14:14

Thanks so much for the explanation. It's so hard when you're in hospital, they almost talk to you like you're a fellow medical professional and assume a lot of knowledge.

Yep baby's measurements were fine, what worries me is that if I hadn't gone in for reduced movements this would never have been found. How often does this go undetected??

Will it mean I have to be induced early or have a c-section?

ColdTeaAgain Wed 27-Aug-14 17:25:06

If it turns out to be the start of pre-eclampsia, they will keep a very close eye on you and baby - regular growth scans and monitoring. It's a case of trying to let the pregnancy get as far along as possible whilst making sure the baby is not at risk. In most cases of pre-eclampsia they tend to induce at 37/38 weeks or can be a section in some cases.

I don't think it gets missed very often these days as pregnancy is monitored so well - urine samples, blood tests, blood pressure, growth scan for reduced movements or measuring small for dates.

Don't be afraid to insist that the doctor explains it all better to you tomorrow. They often give very brief explanation using too much jargon, hardly helps the anxiety levels!

Keenoonvino Wed 27-Aug-14 21:52:24

Thanks coldtea I'll let you know what they say tomorrow. So odd because my blood pressure has always been "great" throughout pregnancy, No problems with any urine, baby growing fine. I'm hoping it was a blip and it looks totally
Fine tomorrow!

ColdTeaAgain Thu 28-Aug-14 08:13:45

Yes fingers crossed it was a one off, good luck today smile

PuppyMummy Thu 28-Aug-14 08:22:32

I had this, it was picked up at a midwife apt as bump suddenly hadn't grown.

it means the blood flow to placenta is restricted and so can affect growth. I was 37 weeks so they weren't too worried (as has done most of his growing) but they will monitor you more if you are earlier.

I had to wait a week and then had another scan and it was fine, the blood flow was normal again.

I was told that if it didnt improve they would induce me as I was 'term' anyway but it was fine and I gave birth at 40+4

baby weighed 6lb 11 so was fine too.

Keenoonvino Thu 28-Aug-14 19:57:14

Thanks puppy that's reassuring! They couldn't get a good enough reading today as baby moving a lot but doc said what he could see looked good.
Going back in a week for another scan... I pray it's all back to normal and I won't have to be induced!

ColdTeaAgain Thu 28-Aug-14 23:21:03

Sounds really promising smile

Keenoonvino Fri 29-Aug-14 07:20:53

Puppy I'm just wondering if they let you have a "normal" birth? The midwives mentioned that I probably would need to be Hooked up to a monitor the entire labour and wouldn't be allowed in the water. I had an induction on drip at 42 weeks last time and wanted to avoid the whole bed bound, strapped up to a monitor thing....

PuppyMummy Fri 29-Aug-14 07:23:32

yes I had a normal birth, no extra monitoring.

no one mentioned the restricted blood flow again once I had the second scan and it was fine...

grobagsforever Fri 29-Aug-14 10:05:45

I had this. picked up at 20 weeks and had growth scans every four weeks after that. Went into labour at 40 plus 4 and had text book home birth. DD was 7 pounds 13 and is thriving.

Keenoonvino Fri 29-Aug-14 11:05:29

Thanks so much. If things look good next week on scan I will then stand my ground and really question them if they tell me i need to stay hooked up. I was told I now wouldn't be able to go to birth centre, but if everything looks good I don't really see why...

ColdTeaAgain Fri 29-Aug-14 17:37:06

I see no reason why you can't continue with original birth plan if your follow up scans give normal readings. It is still a bit early for them to be making decisions like that imo.

Remember it is your decision, I'm sure you are perfectly capable of making a sensible, informed choice depending on the outcome of your scans!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now