Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

9 weeks and measuring 5.5!

(29 Posts)
RaRa74 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:22:07

I have been for an early scan (Last Thursday) at 9 weeks but the scan showed baby measuring at only 5.5 weeks. There was no heartbeat detected (but would not expect this at 5.5 weeks) and I have had no bleeding or cramping. Could the dates really be 3.5 weeks out? Has anyone else had this situation?

losthermind Wed 27-Aug-14 12:31:26

Are they going to re scan ?? Have they taken bloods to check hcg levels ??

RaRa74 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:43:09

I had bloods done at my booking in appointment on 14th August but none since. I am due to have another scan on Friday coming (29th August)

Roseblossom2 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:43:18

When I went for my 12w scan they were two weeks out and I had to come back 2 weeks later as baby was too small to measure. So it's possible!

Bondy83 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:43:52

I've been in a similar situation unfortunately for me it turned out to be a missed miscarriage they told me to return in 2 weeks time to see if there had been any growth which there wasn't. It was a devastating time not knowing and the 2 week wait between scans felt like a lifetime. I'd had no bleeding cramps etc I was then given the options to wait and miscarry myself as my body would eventually reject the pregnancy have tablets to induce the miscarriage or have the d&c under general to end the pregnancy. I chose the d&c as I wanted it over with asap. It's a horrible experience but there is life after it and after a 12mth wait I'm currently 14wk with a healthy baby.

Metalhead Wed 27-Aug-14 14:03:07

If you're sure of when you ovulated, then I'm afraid there is no way the dates could be that far out. A week maybe, but not 3.5 weeks. I too was in a similar situation earlier this year, I was sure of my dates (used opks and only had sex once that month!) and should have been 8 weeks, but baby only measured 6. I wasn't even offered a rescan as there was a heartbeat and no one believed me when I said this can't be right, so I paid for one privately two weeks later where a missed mc was confirmed. In your situation I would prepare for the worst. I'm sorry you're going though this, it is a horrible experience.

RiverRocks Wed 27-Aug-14 14:06:41

RaRa, when did you get your BFP? There is a big size difference (relative to the size of the embryo) between 5.5 weeks and 9 weeks, and at 9 weeks there should definitely be a heartbeat. Is it possible you conceived the cycle after you thought you had?

I had a mmc earlier this year, and as Bondy says, no bleeding or cramps to indicate a problem. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Friday flowers

RaRa74 Wed 27-Aug-14 14:24:04

My last period was on 18th June. I only know as it was 2 days before our wedding. I have never had a 28 day cycle but I could not tell you how many days I am, but it is longer. I was on the pill injection and that has made me irregular. I was testing quite a lot as we have been trying for a baby. I cannot remember when I took the tests but at the doctors she stated I was 4 weeks and conceived about 2nd July. Would it be possible to get a positive result within a few days? If so, this may explain the 3.5 weeks that I seem to be out.
I am so sorry to hear of your losses. It must be so awful to have and to lose. Fingers crossed x

littlemissy12345 Wed 27-Aug-14 15:16:05

I went for a scan last year at what I thought was 7+5 and was told I was 5+5. Since they saw a heartbeat they didn't offer me another scan but it worried me a lot. I ended up going for a private scan at 10 weeks where it showed I got to 8 weeks before the baby died. I think it must have just died but they classed it as a missed miscarriage. I must admit when I had an early scan this time I swore I would ask for another scan if my dates were even a little bit out.

butternut22 Wed 27-Aug-14 15:20:47

My dates were out for both my babies due to longer cycles. I was 4 weeks earlier than thought for both.

ColdTeaAgain Wed 27-Aug-14 15:29:36

Yes with an irregular cycle it is possible that your dates are out and you aren't as far along as you think.

For example, with a regular 28 day cycle, using your last period, 6 weeks pregnant actually equates to a 4 week old embryo in reality as you ovulate at around 14 days from your period but we use the extra two weeks make dating pregnancy easier. But with a longer cycle, 6 weeks pregnant could mean a younger, smaller embryo as you might ovulate more than 14 days after your period starts.

This is why we often need to use a bit of 'wait and see' in early scans to see if embryo increases in size when it is measured again. Fingers crossed for you OP flowers

Metalhead Wed 27-Aug-14 17:07:08

The earliest I've seen people on here get a positive test is 8 days after conception, though it's usually nearer to two weeks. But if your GP only calculated how far along you are from your last period then yes, it could be that she's quite a way off the mark if you have irregular cycles. Fx for you.

LIG1979 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:24:00

I think the key is when you got a positive pg test. If you got one more than 3 weeks ago then it is unlikely to be good news. Fingers crossed it isn't that.

RiverRocks Wed 27-Aug-14 18:53:16

If you have irregular cycles, your gp's estimate is likely to be wrong. Some people get positives quite early after ovulation, but I don't know about a few days. I think you'll have to wait and see on Friday flowers

RaRa74 Thu 28-Aug-14 08:10:53

Thanks all. My positive was about 5-6 weeks ago. Just keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow x

Myhensareladies Thu 28-Aug-14 08:21:23

Thinking of you today, good luck.

RaRa74 Thu 28-Aug-14 08:35:57

Thank you x

dancestomyowntune Thu 28-Aug-14 08:41:45

TaRa twelve years ago I went for a scan (suspected ectopic) @ what I thought was about eight weeks pregnant. Nothing there sad I was distraught but the epu nurse was excellent and took bloods. Later that day she phoned me to say that the hcg levels indicated an early miscarriage but she had a funny feeling, so two days later I had bloods repeated and I was indeed pregnant. She felt I had lost a pregnancy and fallen pregnant straight away without really noticing! Therefore my dates were about four weeks out. I now have a beautiful eleven year old starting secondary school on Wednesday. Don't give up just yet!

RaRa74 Thu 28-Aug-14 09:12:15

Oh god, that's amazing. you do hear of D&C's being offered and then people have had healthy babies. I am just clinging to the fact I have had no cramping or bleeding. I would have thought that if bump had stopped growing at 5.5 weeks, I would have had some indication now as should be 10 weeks now!

Bondy83 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:14:04

I didn't have any miscarriage symptoms at all but looking back I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms either no sicknesses tiredness etc just thought I was lucky. I found out on my 12wk scan the sac measured around 8wk but was empty was exactly same 2 weeks later when I should ve been 14wks. I'd prepare for the worst then if it is good news that's brilliant

RaRa74 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:23:54

I have had tiredness but no sickness. The odd day of feeling queasy though. On the scan last week the sonographer said it was a viable pregnancy. I have a belly too which is strange.

RiverRocks Fri 29-Aug-14 08:23:31

Fingers crossed for you today RaRa flowers

RaRa74 Fri 29-Aug-14 08:59:52

Thank you x

Babiecakes11 Fri 29-Aug-14 11:01:38

Hey good luck today we went for an early scan and measured early then went back and the baby had grown to the correct size, hope everything works out well for you x

RaRa74 Fri 29-Aug-14 11:13:47

Thank you hun. Let's hope bump is a late developer smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now