Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reassurance Scan

(13 Posts)
Gudgyx Wed 27-Aug-14 11:09:27

Good morning lovely ladies!! Hope you are all well <3

Was having a browse online this morning, and noticed that an ABC4D clinic was very near to my house, and they do a reassurance scan for 6-14 weeks.

Also, found a discount code (SALE2014 for 50% off) so managed to get it for �49.50.

Thought this would be a good idea as we really are in the dark with how far along we are. Clearblue Digital said 3+ weeks, but I havent had a period since end of May so could be as much as 12. Dont have my first antenatal meeting until next Thursday, so a first scan could be weeks away!!

I just want to know there's definately something there if you get me? I'm terrified in case I've had 5 dodgy positive tests!!

Has anyone had one of these reassurance scans? Can you enlighten me as to what it was like?

WaffleWiffle Wed 27-Aug-14 11:22:28

I work it out as at least 11 weeks since the end of May.

You get an NHS dating scan at 12 weeks, free of course. I would imagine that when you have your first anti-natal appointment next Thursday, you will be booked in for your dating scan straight away.

Gudgyx Wed 27-Aug-14 11:27:34

I dont want to wait that long haha, least this one wasnt too expensive. All worth it though for that extra peace of mind.

I was on the injection until last August, so my periods were only just starting to get back to normal (think I had 2) before they stopped again. I just assumed that was my body getting back to normal after the injection, now I'm not so sure!

firstpregnancy2014 Wed 27-Aug-14 11:30:06

I had an early scan- not private it was at my local hospital as i had some slight bleeding.
It was massively reassuring to me as im sure it will be to you it also feels more real when you see something on screen in my experience.

I thought i was much further along when i went for my scan as i have very irregular periods- i could remmber my last normal period being 11 weeks before hand- but then i realised i had a very slight bleed about 4 weeks later so i wasnt as far along as i thought.
Are your periods regular? dont panic if not you might just not be as far along as you thought
good lucksmile

Gudgyx Wed 27-Aug-14 11:37:19

No theyre not regular at all! Well they were starting to go back to being regular then stopped completely again (I didnt have any while I was on the injection) thats why I'm so confused!

Hopefully they can give us an idea on Saturday of how far on we are anyway, and a bit of reassurance that all is as it should be

Babiecakes11 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:51:35

Hey we had a reassurance scan on the nhs at 6 weeks then on Sunday there also got a 50 percent off a reassurance scan for £49.50 at 8 weeks 3 days it was amazing to see the jellybean growing. I preferred the private one as we got to stay watching it for longer x

Gen35 Wed 27-Aug-14 13:22:27

I had scans at 6 and 9 weeks and t was massively reassuring. I'd go for it - later on you can feel the baby moving so that's reassuring but in the early part you just feel lousy and worried. Good luck!

Lottiedoubtie Wed 27-Aug-14 13:26:32

I had a scan at 9 weeks. Baby was very small (obviously) and didnt really look like 'a baby' on the screen. That said it was massively reassuring and we got to see the heart beat rising and falling on the screen which was amazing. Be warned though the picture isn't much cop grin

If it gives you peace of mind go for it!

kulashaker Wed 27-Aug-14 14:11:01

Go for it! as you say it will give you peace of mind plus better idea of how far along you are.

i had a scan at 9 weeks due to bleeding, and as you say, its nice to know there is actually something in there! and for someone else to confirm it for you. i have my 12 week scan next week, and feeling much better it now. Its natural to worry all the way through i think, but 12 weeks is a long slog, so if you can get a scan in between go for it!

ScottyK Wed 27-Aug-14 14:22:40

I had a scan at 8 weeks last weekend, private through baby bond. Best thing we've done. Feeling much better to know and have images of it there and a record of the heart beat. Given my booking appointment isn't till 12/13 weeks I would have lost it before then. If you can do one, do so the peace of mind is worth hundreds in my mind! X

Gudgyx Wed 27-Aug-14 15:03:31

Thanks everyone <3

Its just so hard to believe there's something in there. My friend told me that doctors dont even bring you in now for a test if you have done a few at home and got a positive result. I think I would believe it more if I had had a test from there, but I cant get in til next week.

Got a forced appointment with my crohns consultant tomorrow too, so will see what he says.

:D

kulashaker Wed 27-Aug-14 15:10:52

Gudgyx - thats what happened when i went to doctors when i said i had a positive test, she just said to make an appointment with Midwife. when i went for my booking in appointment, i just sat there thinking what if i have done the test wrong?! why is no one else testing me! when i was told i was getting an early i was thinking at least i will know if there is something there or not haha!

just be prepared to not see much if you are not as far along as you thought, it might just show the sac with no heart beat, dont panic though, it could just mean its to early to show.

good luck!

Gudgyx Wed 27-Aug-14 15:31:33

Thank you kula!

Even if it does just show the sac and no heartbeat yes, at least I'll know its there!

Although dont suppose 5 positive tests can be wrong. Still feels a bit strange them not confirming it though, and just leaving us for weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now