Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Pelvic pain ... Am I being a baby about this or should dh be cutting me some slack?

(20 Posts)
piazilla Wed 27-Aug-14 08:39:23

I'll admit I'm not the best when it comes to getting my 5 a day fruit and veg. It's been hard to get to the supermarket because I've been crippled with pelvic girdle pain at 25 weeks pregnant and I'm having a hard time walking.
So last night , dh came home and suggested he go get some cheese breads ( afghani and delish) . Somewhere en route he changed his mind and came home with a chicken salad!
Not too proud of my tantrum but I refused to eat it - I wanted some carbs and didn't appreciate his plan change. Cue a lecture about healthy eating.

Now he won't let it go ...I was in bed crying because I was in so much discomfort with this pelvic pain and the only thing he could tell me is " well you've been eating unhealthily which is most likely causing this! " am I being unreasonable to want to hit him over the head with something blunt for his unsympathetic stance?

JuniDD Wed 27-Aug-14 10:07:51

YANBU.
My DP kept bleating on about doing some exercise which is hilarious as I didn't do any anyway! The crying/tantrums tends to help them make better decisions in the future. wink

ohthegoats Wed 27-Aug-14 11:33:04

Yes, I get the exercise thing too - I swim every other day and have a standing up job. He's not been to the gym since April. I just respond with a yeah hmm..

peanuts18 Wed 27-Aug-14 11:54:06

Ppgp has nothing to do with healthy eating or exercise, I have been suffering since wk 24 and am now 32 wks. Have seen an nhs physio and now under an osteopath, am pretty much housebound, can't drive or stand for more than about 3 mins. Can only get about the house using crutches. Check out the help group "the pelvic partnership" for more info and get your midwife to refer you for physio

bronya Wed 27-Aug-14 12:28:45

PGP has nothing to do with your diet. You do need to do the relevant exercises (physio will tell you what to do, or you can buy a book if they are useless/waiting list too long) and wear a support belt to help. Nothing else will make a scrap of difference. I was barely able to walk, saw a decent physio and showed her the book I'd bought - she said the book was spot on, made sure everything was in place again and helped with positioning of the belt (that I'd bought - NHS gives you a tubey grip thing that's not terribly effective). From then on, so long as I do the exercises regularly and wear the belt, no pain.

piazilla Wed 27-Aug-14 15:30:45

Thanks ladies ... So it seems this is something that can progress! My obstetrician told me I could take up to 3 Panadol per day but has not advised much beyond this ( although I did see her about 4 days ago , when things were a lot better than they are now!
I had a look at pelvic partnership - good info there - I'd never heard of it. I'm a teacher and am back to work tomorrow so really need to figure this out! Am overseas so I have no midwife ... Might have to push this issue with ob! The thoughts of being housebound petrifies me!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Aug-14 15:32:29

jesus I would have been livid at being told that! How can he decide what is causing your pain?? I would also have been gutted about the lack of carbs, frankly.

piazilla Wed 27-Aug-14 16:15:27

He has been apologizing all day via text saying he thought we were talking generally ( which is total BS) but he feels badly about it now...I can tell. I'm trying very hard not to be a sulky cow about it but I'm still pissed off about it! Also , Promising carbs and then falling through is also a big big no no for me lol

DownstairsMixUp Wed 27-Aug-14 16:17:04

he is wrong. I am 39 weeks and had Pgp since about your stage to. it's awful and panadol wouldn't touch it anyway! He should just feed you chocolate and offer back rubs when prompted. grin

squizita Wed 27-Aug-14 16:25:51

You are supposed to eat a carb rich diet when pregnant.

Also, he is being unbelievably ignorant and rude. I would have major words if my DH dared come out with something as patronising unsupportive and factually incorrect. Major words.

CarmineRose1978 Wed 27-Aug-14 16:31:56

I'm exactly the same as peanuts... Basically housebound, signed off, waiting for an 'urgent' physio appointment! It's grim, and your DH should really be being more supportive! It's all due to hormones, not exercise or lack of it.

CarmineRose1978 Wed 27-Aug-14 16:32:59

bronya tell us more about this book!

bronya Wed 27-Aug-14 18:18:12

The book I had (gave it to a friend who's now off crutches and walking normally with exercises + belt) is: Relieving Pelvic Pain During and After Pregnancy: How Women Can Heal Chronic Pelvic Instability by Cecile Rost (Author) I got mine from Amazon!

You still need a belt though - I've got this one: www.physiosupplies.com/serola-sacroiliac-si-lumbar-support-belt.html which has lasted me through my last pregnancy and will do this one too.

I had a private physio check me over and put everything back in place first, then used book + belt to keep going. My friend has fixed herself entirely with book + belt (NHS physio gave her crutches and told her there was nothing she could do).

3littlefrogs Wed 27-Aug-14 18:20:43

How does diet have anything to do with pelvic pain?
Is he as ignorant about other things too?

bronya Wed 27-Aug-14 18:21:32

Just to add, I've had PGP since 8 weeks, and am still walking, lifting my toddler and moving relatively normally at 32 weeks (with belt on whenever out of bed!!!). Can't run, jump, bend down too much repeatedly or step suddenly without doing some damage even with the belt, but I can usually put my pelvis back with the exercises afterwards if I have to do one of those to catch the toddler!

Gen35 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:25:34

Glad your dh is sorry...but also I don't think they do have much idea how awful it is. Even other women that have had dc but not recently can be unsympathetic as they've forgotten!

Tipsykisses Wed 27-Aug-14 18:30:27

You are DNBU !
I had what was called SPD in both of mine & on my second it was horrendous !
I had physio but it was so bad I was referred to pain clinic towards the end and given tramadol , the gap in my pelvis was large & my hips were very unstable .
I didn't take the tramadol as I was worried about them so just rested as best I could , my Ds was born 9lb 6oz & labour pain was a breeze compared to the pregnancy grin
Do what you can & don't push yourself if you can help it just incase as I am still suffering now but apparently most women get better after the birth .
Good luck ! X

CarmineRose1978 Thu 28-Aug-14 08:42:27

Thanks bronya. That's going in my basket now.

JennyBlueWren Thu 28-Aug-14 09:38:38

My husband only cooks/buys unhealthy food but if he catches me eating a packet of crisps that I bought I get a lecture about what I'm feeding the baby. Then he complains when I cook him vegetables!

Perhaps we ought to move towards one of those cultures where the women go away with other women to look after them for their pregnancy.

fidgetywidget Fri 29-Aug-14 11:25:51

You're def NBU, PGP is agony & related to ligaments & hormones, nothing to do with diet! I second the recommendation for a Serola belt, it really helped hold me together when mine was at its worst around 16wks. Tried NHS physio but not much help. Was lucky to have bupa thru work so saw a private physio. She gave me exercises to strengthen core muscles & bum muscles to help hold pelvis in right place. Def don't over do it physically when u do feel ok (eg bending at hips/ twisting) or you'll regret it later that day!
I'm 37+4 now & have found the natural tendency to slow down nearer then end helps me avoid doing things that make it flare up.
Hope you are able to manage yours successfully.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now