Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HELP - have Polymorphic Eruption of Pregnancy - how do I stop the crazy itch???!

(6 Posts)
Dixeychick Tue 26-Aug-14 22:05:52

Hi all

I'm new to Mumsnet & in need of HELP! Diagnosed with PEP at 37 weeks & it's spreading rapidly and itching like hell!! Been to see multiple GPs who've given me a succession of prescriptions for steroid creams & antihistamines, none of which seem to touch it. It's now all over my arms, legs, hands & feet & becoming unbearable. Any tips?! Thanks :-)

CoolCat2014 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:47:48

No idea, is it anything like eczema? If so rubbing oil in (especially evening primrose oil, or jog sons baby oil) used to help me.

Gen35 Wed 27-Aug-14 04:17:47

Could you ask your GP about painkillers that might be safe to dull the sensation? Cool baths, wet soaks, cotton clothes and emollients are supposed to help. Id definitely should revisit GP in your shoes, sounds horrible!

pinkteapots Wed 27-Aug-14 07:20:56

Oh you poor thing, I had this with dc1. I found nothing standard, lotions oils creams, made any difference. Its horrible! The most frenetic compulsive scratching. Calamine didnt help either. BUT, odd as it sounds try germalene or a standard over the counter cream that has an anaesthetic in it - dulls the itch a tiny bit. Cool showers and leave your bump out at night (will need imaginative positioning of duvet...), and as said above cotton clothes on the cool side. A steroid cream did work for me so i'd revisit gp and ask again. Also I ended up on piriton (sp?) for a different rashy itch (glamourous!) which seemed to help the pep too.

Wish I could help more, its rotten. Hope something works out, def revisit doctor.

Ginismyfriend Wed 27-Aug-14 07:30:03

Oh I had this too, it's awful hmm. A tip I got from here and which did help a bit was pine tar soap (or coal tar soap) - you can buy it online. If you lather it all up and then let it dry on the skin for a while before washing it off it does take the edge off the itching. Found it really helpful at night as it calmed it down enough for me to be able to sleep at least.

Dixeychick Wed 27-Aug-14 10:28:54

Thanks :-) I'll try the coal tar soap & see if I can get any over the counter creams with anaesthetic. The last GP I saw was less than sympathetic but did give me some stronger steroid cream which I think has helped a little overnight. The delights of pregnancy hey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now