Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carbs crisis!!!!

(19 Posts)
lozzy1982 Tue 26-Aug-14 16:14:26

Hi ladies, im 9 weeks pregnant and this last 10 days all i can face eating is crumpets, potato cakes, pasta, anything stodgy. I tried eating a banana today and just couldnt do it. Made my tummy turn. Im worried im not getting all the right foods for a healthy pregnancy! Im taking a really good antenatal vitamain pregnecare max, but dont know if this is enough. Anyone else going through or had similar? confused

ohthegoats Tue 26-Aug-14 16:17:04

Yeah, don't worry about it. The baby gets what it needs from what you eat. I lived on potato waffles, but my normal tastes came back... for awhile anyway. 35+ weeks now, and I'm back to carbs. Sweet ones.

I was the same. I went off all the fruit and veg I normally love, and could only face crisps, bread and chip shop chips. At about week 16, I can get myself to eat fruit and some veg. But I still only want chips.
Now at week 20 and still don't want my favourite broccoli. I'm taking the pregnacare normal supplement, and hoping for the best. I was happy to see a lively-looking baby at my 20 week scan, and not a giant chip.

*could

AlpacaMyBags Tue 26-Aug-14 16:24:53

Just eat whatever you can stomach. The baby will get all its nutrients from you, even if it depletes your own supplies - the vitamin supplement should help with that. Once you get past 12 weeks your sickness should hopefully ease and you'll be able to stomach a bit more of a varied diet.

Thurlow Tue 26-Aug-14 16:30:06

You'll be fine, and so will the baby. 9 weeks is pretty often the worst stage for most women, which could be why. As others have said, the baby takes everything it needs, it's you that ends up lacking a bit! I ate toast and weetabix and nothing else for about 3 months, baby was fine.

hmmmum Tue 26-Aug-14 16:36:24

Yeah I only wanted french fries, crisps and buttered toast for a lot of my first trimester. Oh, and plain pasta.
I think it's ok.... It seems to happen to so many women and their babies turn out healthy! Most people find they can eat a wider variety of things in their second trimester.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 26-Aug-14 18:11:47

Yep!

Prior to pregnancy I was a pescetarian who took an organic veg box once a week.

Now, I live on: white toast with butter; breakfast cereal; pasta with tomato sauce; spaghetti hoops; occasionally pizza or tuna with rice if feeling adventurous.

I actually asked my obstetrician if it could lead to gestational diabetes but she said no, so crack on!

RevoltingPeasant Tue 26-Aug-14 18:12:26

Oh and btw I'm 17+1, still on the carbs, threw up at work twice today. Just in the interests of honesty and balance.....

NinjaPanda34 Tue 26-Aug-14 19:01:10

Ha ha, in my brain-adled state, I read this thread title as "crabs crisis"! grin

Rhubarb321 Tue 26-Aug-14 20:26:17

I was carb mad in the first 3 months, all I wanted was bread, crumpets, potato waffles etc, if you want carbs then eat them, your taste will change as you progress through

kittyvet Tue 26-Aug-14 22:20:29

Me too. Usually love veg and fruit but all I could eat in first trimester was carbs carbs carbs... Only thing that stopped me feeling sick. Don't worry your healthy diet will come back soon and baby won't suffer in meantime.

Castlemilk Tue 26-Aug-14 22:26:38

I ended up working out a meal at one point within one pregnancy which I could stomach and would at least be vaguely nutritious: baked potato with tinned tomato, with sweetcorn and chickpeas heated up with the tomato. I ate it every meal for weeks. For some reason, I could throw that up then face it again the next day. Go me!

CharChar1 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:55:48

So glad someone posted about this as I am almost 9 weeks, feeling sick ALL the time and can only seem to stomach carbs which usually I never touch. Feel a little relieved after reading all these similar posts, gives me hope that it may end soon......

Missingcaffeine Wed 27-Aug-14 09:40:05

I was like this through the first trimester, gained more weight than they recommend. I've been eating more normally since around 12 weeks, and feeling really good, healthy and energised from about 20 weeks, and weight fell off again (in terms of fat in the wrong places). I'm now 36 weeks and I think it's just weight on bump and boobs. Don't worry, embrace and enjoy your carbs! Hated the first trimester. I couldn't even look at a green vegetable. Suddenly I was enjoying all foods again and eating well again - so don't worry, it should pass. Do take your supplements though.

TinyMonkey Wed 27-Aug-14 14:12:47

I gained half a stone in the first tri due to my carb addiction, the thought of fresh fruit and veg turned my stomach. As long as you're taking a pregnancy multivitamin as well you'll be fine. The weight gain levelled off in the 2nd tri when I got my energy and normal appetite back.

ChickenMe Wed 27-Aug-14 17:23:59

Me too, I am the same and feel a bit guilty. I can only stomach bland foods. Potatoes, rice, bread etc. luckily the only sweet thing I want is orange-flavoured anything. I bought some 100% juice orange lollies. Yum.
Pickled onion monster munch are my current thing. Last week it was pizza.
I wonder if the pregnancy is taking extra salt or something as most of these carby foods are also salty? Or is it a need for that quick carb hit (I'm normally more of a Paleo type eater, or try to be)?
I try to have two home-cooked meals a day which, although bland and carb, are at least not junk. The rest is snacks to stave off the bad breath lol

ladydolly Thu 28-Aug-14 06:55:20

I was exactly the same, I basically only ate beige food for 3 months. I tried to force my usual salad and vegetables down me and they just made me feel sick. It got better at around 14/15 weeks, even though I still feel sick I can at least enjoy a nice salad again now! Although the carb craving is still strong...

Droflove Thu 28-Aug-14 11:52:59

Eat what you can to get through the sick stage and when you are feeling up to it, eat healthier. But don't worry, most people go through this in the beginning months especially if they have ms. Luckily all I could eat for the first 4 mts was fruit and yogurt on my first. This baby has not been so lucky and its chocolate and white toast. Oh well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now