Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

first scan next week, ill be 15weeks pregnant!!

(9 Posts)
DragonFlyx Tue 26-Aug-14 14:30:51

With my first I was told it had to be done between 10 and 12 weeks for 'dating', wasn't told anything this time and my scanwill be done when I'm 15w5d gone.

Anyone else had their first scan later on??

Would it be unrealistic /cheeky of me to ask if it's possible to hazard a guess at the sex? As I know you can have the 2d private sexing scans from 16 weeks...

Happilymarried155 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:54:46

If you are having the nuchal screening your scan needs to be done between 11-14 weeks otherwise it's too late. If you intend to have the screening I would ring them up and try and change it x

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 26-Aug-14 15:58:44

With first 4yrs ago my first scan was 15wks n they told me sex n was confirmed at 20weeks scan

mrsnec Tue 26-Aug-14 16:09:39

This happened to me too. But I'm not in the UK. I even booked in in person in case they did that but the receptionist insisted it was ok. Age and dates wise I am a week over the threshold for downs risk. At my 15 week scan they had a go at me about it but I was too upset to argue despite the fact I didn't really want screening anyway. They couldn't tell the sex then and couldn't get proper measurements at my 20 week scan or tell me the sex then either so I went for an extra more detailed private scan.

I don't think it's cheeky to ask at all.

I'd had a blighted ovum before this pg so my circumstances are different. I didn't want to see an empty screen again and I was anxious so I was trying to delay my first scan anyway because I wanted them to be able to see as much as possible.

squizita Tue 26-Aug-14 17:57:35

What do you mean threshold? There isn't a threshold it is a (highly inaccurate as it varies egg to egg) sliding scale. Many women get a lower risk for 2nd DC for example?

mrsnec Wed 27-Aug-14 05:27:08

I meant regarding my age. If I was a week younger the doctor wouldn't have been so worried about downs risk. Unless I'm wrong about that and everyone under that is considered a risk too but here its very much as soon as you're over 35 you're a geriatric mother. I certainly don't agree with that.

My late first scan was just an admin error really but apart from the doctor's personal opinion it worked in my favour. Yes lots of people told me it should have been earlier though.

squizita Wed 27-Aug-14 08:49:03

No that's not how it works. smile A GP with a poor understanding might try to explain it, but really it's a sliding scale hence everyone in the UK gets it.
If you're not in the UK perhaps it is policy, but it's not clinical. Babies with downs syndrome are born to younger and older mothers, more so to older mothers but there's no cut off.

Becca1818 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:14:19

I missed the cut off for the nt test which I was told at the antenatal clinic was 14+2 as I was further than I was told previously (had scan at 8 weeks due to suspected ectopic). Anyhoo I am due to have the quad blood test tomorrow which they also use to determine high or low risk.

hullabaloo234 Fri 29-Aug-14 09:09:30

When I had my daughter 7 years ago I didn't have periods so had no idea how pregant I was! Was sent for a scan and turned out to be 15 weeks 5 days and the picture was amazing! I don't remember if the sonogropher mentioned the sex so I'm sorry I can't be of more help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now