Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared, advice needed! 6 weeks 2 days and brown stringy mucus?!

(16 Posts)
hullabaloo234 Tue 26-Aug-14 12:01:36

Has anyone else experienced this?I am just over 6 weeks pregnant and when I went to the toilet this morning and wiped, there was pale brown stringy mucus on the tissue. Should I be worried?!
This is my second but I don't recall this happening with dd1?
I don't want to bother my doctor if it's something normal. Can anyone give me some advice?

AnythingNotEverything Tue 26-Aug-14 12:03:01

Brown generally means old, and old is good. Unless you have any pain or bright red blood I'd just try not to worry. Easier said than done I know.

I've had all manor of problems with pregnancies (all 4 of them).

The only ones that have been fine have been the ones with brown stringy mucous.

Make of that what you will!

ChickenMe Tue 26-Aug-14 12:26:50

I had this at around 6 weeks. I panicked too. Luckily it stopped the next day. At my booking in the midwife wasn't even bothered about it and said its old blood. I think it's very common.

arghhelpme Tue 26-Aug-14 12:36:28

Had this between 6 and 7 weeks with ds 1 and 2. Sometimes was more pink than brown. They are 8 and 5 now smile
Could always ring midwife or gp for reassurance.

I went to gp both times as had one sided cramping as well so was sent for an early scan with each pregnancy.

Haven't had any spotting with this pregnancy though and am 29 weeks.

mssleepyhead Tue 26-Aug-14 13:39:03

i had this at 7 weeks. called the gp who immediately referred me to my epu who scanned me and showed the baby. try and get reassurance and good luck.

hullabaloo234 Tue 26-Aug-14 14:03:31

Thank you everyone for getting back to me,it does make me feel a bit better to know that this has happened to others too without a bad outcome. Will try and relax and if it happens again I'll see my GP.

Phryn Tue 26-Aug-14 14:27:29

Hi hulla - just wanted to say I feel your worry. I'm somewhere between 6-8 weeks (I have long cycles so dating the pregnancy is a nightmare). I've had spotty sometimes stringly brown CM from Fri pm to Mon midday but it seems to have eased off now. It's scary but as other posters have said it can happen and still result in a safely completed pregnancy!

I read some helpful stats on the American Pregnancy Association, studies suggest 20-30% of women experience some spotting or bleeding. As already said brown is much better than red as it indicates old blood. 50% of those who experience spotting go on to have a successful pregnancy so the odds are reasonably.

I definitely reccomend getting in contact with the Early Pregnancy Unit at your local hospital. They can scan you and see what's going on. Many let you self refer so why not call and see what the route in is. I'm having a second scan this Fri and really hoping and praying that I'm in the sticky bean 50%.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well.

tiggy2610 Tue 26-Aug-14 14:28:27

I had brown spotting a little later on but was told my my GP and two seperate midwives that brown is nothing to worry about and it's old blood working it's way out. I was told only to panic if it's bright red and filling a pad. It lasted around 48hrs then vanished with nothing since.

At 6 weeks it could be old implantation blood finally being pushed out. If in doubt you could call the EPU and ask their advice, they may offer an early scan to ease your mind. I wouldn't panic though smile

hullabaloo234 Tue 26-Aug-14 20:40:34

Well I've checked religiously every time I've been to the bathroom since and not seen anything else. Will call my GP tomorrow morning though hair to he on the safe side and of they refer me on to the EPAU I will go along but feeling a lot more hopeful that it's nothing to worry about. I feel fine in myself and have no pain or anything so fingers crossed it a nothing. Thanks again for all your help smile

hullabaloo234 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:01:31

Spoke to soon,started up again so took myself to hospital. Urine test still showing as pregnant and blood pressure looks good,waiting for result of blood tests and early scan tomorrow. So frightened :-(

CherryPie3 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:19:29

Fingers crossed for you hullaballoo, hope it is good news for you smile flowers

hullabaloo234 Wed 27-Aug-14 20:59:40

Thank you cherry pie, the EPAU will call first thing and tell me what time my appointment is so I'm hoping for sooner rather than later so I can't drive myself crazy with worry for so long, my OH too.

LaceyLee Wed 27-Aug-14 21:54:47

I had this around the same time for several days, then at around 13 weeks for a full two weeks, they then scanned again but everything was fine, now 24 weeks and had nothing ever since then. There is a good chance all will be fine and they may not even want to see you unless red blood, as brown is very common. Good luck

Myhensareladies Wed 27-Aug-14 21:56:27

Good luck OP.

hullabaloo234 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:29:43

Hearing others positive experiences gives me real hope,so thank you. I just want to know one way or another, im not good at not knowing! Will let you know how I get on. With my Dd 7 years ago it was so straightforward, it never even occurred to me to worry that something could go wrong. This has really frightened me. Just goes to show how arrogant I was I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now