Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nightwear for while in hospital?

(15 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:30:26

27 weeks now and starting to think about buying things bit by bit for hospital bag
Baby is due end of November
So should I buy pyjamas for hospital, and will I need maternity pyjamas or can I just get cheap pairs from primark?!

Mistyautumn Mon 25-Aug-14 09:41:33

I am on dc1 so feel free to listen to others. But I haven't bought new. Have found my darkest most patterned old pjs (I have always bought a few sizes too big and haven't changed size very much) and packed them. From everything I have read you want to be comfortable and to be wearing things that will hide the inevitable post birth leakage and stains.

On that basis - if you need to get new then get cheap as you may not even want to take them home from the hospital xx

LegoCaltrops Mon 25-Aug-14 09:51:15

I packed the PJs I'd been wearing while pregnant. I had 3 sets - 1 to wear, 1 in the wash, & 1 lived in the hospital bag, & I rotated them so there was always one in there. My baby tummy didn't go down much for a few days so they fit ok.

purplemurple1 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:58:10

I also just took my pregnancy pjs, prob best to have a button up top if you plan to bf. I also took a couple of very long vests just in case it was too warm for pjs. (they were big enpugh to pull down the top to bf if needed.)

angelopal Mon 25-Aug-14 09:58:28

Might be worth buying cheap ones now. The ward will be really warm and I made the mistake of buying winter pj's and was to hot. I bought ones a size bigger than I was pre pregnancy and they were fine.

If buying new just go for cheapie ones just in case they get ruined.

redexpat Mon 25-Aug-14 12:46:32

Primarni all the way. Have got a nightshirt and pjs in a bigger size, and lots if black pants. Thin cotton because hospitals are always warm. Buttons down the front make bf easy enough.

Cupcakes123 Mon 25-Aug-14 13:07:09

I had my DS PFB 12 days ago, I took primarni pj bottoms to wear after in the next size up from my pre pregnancy size and bled through all of them, the midwives just used to clear up a trail of blood after me confused sorry, TMI!
Take more than you think you need! And take far more maternity pads than you think you'll need, I wish someone told me that....

take a nightie incase you need a c section as they put a catheter in so you won't be able to get trousers on.

I packed the most ridiculous amount of stuff, 95% of it is still packed in the bag untouched!

Good luck

Mrsgrumble Mon 25-Aug-14 13:09:44

I got cuffed bottom one from Primark the other day (the day ruff ruff on them if you are looking) and they are idea. Not too long when you size up.

I did buy proper maternity nighties from marks and spencer and a wrap from jo jo mama

Definitely buy light material. Fleece pjs will not be an option grin

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 25-Aug-14 13:51:24

I ended up wearing hospital gowns for a few days, then a Jo Jo maman bebe maternity nightie (bought in sale) which had Velcro down the back so could be opened although there was no need. I also took a thinnish dark dressing gown. Although hospitals tend to be warm, I would try and have some layers, if you have to sit up in bed breast feeding you might not feel so warm.

WhyNotSmile Mon 25-Aug-14 16:10:13

My son was born early, so I didn't have time to plan what to take, and ended up wearing the same pyjamas in labour as I'd been wearing when my waters broke. The top got a couple of bloodstains (which washed out); I had a catheter in, so couldn't wear the bottoms. If I'd known about the catheter, I'd probably have brought a nightie, but as it was, I just stayed under the sheets! I was pretty stinky anyway!

Got changed into fresh pyjamas after 24 hours or so, and after that all stayed clean.

I would say to take a couple of pairs of pyjamas that you'll be comfy in - but not too warm as hospitals tend to be hot. Also a nightie in case you have catheter in. But mainly, take lots and lots of maternity pads (I had a pack of 45, I think, and used them all in the first week), and pants!

lentilpot Mon 25-Aug-14 16:39:12

I bought a load of cheap nighties with easy boob access. They were perfect as I ended up having to stay in and with the catheter and the bleeding pjs would have been an issue (my hosp had us sitting on puppy pads for blood the first night).

MrsAtticus Mon 25-Aug-14 16:41:12

anything cool (I'm talking temperature not fashion) that you can easily access your breasts in should be fine!

squizita Mon 25-Aug-14 16:50:48

I have some baggy primark shorts and a button vest. Cheap enough to get ruined!

Littleturkish Mon 25-Aug-14 16:56:57

I was kept in unexpectedly with my first and just lived in my dressing gown, primark men's shirt and big knickers. I had jogging bottoms too and huge ski socks as it was absolutely freezing- but actually the ward was very warm.

One thing I can be sure about- you really won't care. Have stuff that isn't that nice because it's a grotty time!

EllaBella220 Mon 25-Aug-14 17:38:28

I bought new ones for when people are visiting after the birth. Dark floral bottoms from asda and a slouchy purple t-shirt. I have a grey nightie for the delivery but it's a bit snug now so might need to get another. I also have a black button through nightdress from M&S which I had planned to wear for the birth but now decided it will be perfect for straight after the birth if I have a catheter in and it has easy boob access.

I'm also going to pack the black floral PJ bottoms I've been wearing all pregnancy and a black vest but they'll go in last minute because I wear them a lot at the minute.

Oh I've also got a thin black dressing gown just incase it gets chilly or there's a lot of leakage and I need to cover up for visitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now