Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ice bucket challenge

(26 Posts)
wawabear Sun 24-Aug-14 15:55:52

I've been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge. I've one a bit of research online and there's not much to say whether it's safe or not to do whilst pregnant. I suspect it probably is safe but not sure I want to take the risk. Personally I think that if I shouldn't be eating soft cheese then I shouldn't really be dousing myself in ice cold water.

My dilemma is I haven't told any of my friends at work (the guy that nominated me is a work friend) and therefore I don't know what reason to give to wriggle out of it unscathed!

LBNM19 Sun 24-Aug-14 15:57:58

No idea what reason you can have not to do it but I've also said I'm not doing it I'm 31 weeks. Xx

picnicbasketcase Sun 24-Aug-14 15:59:34

It's probably safe to do, just unpleasant and a bit of a shock to the system. I would say no in your position, but then, I'd say no anyway. Just donate some money and say no thanks?

bumpiesonamission Sun 24-Aug-14 16:01:08

Look at the alternative ones that have been done such as Patrick Stewart!

todayisnottheday Sun 24-Aug-14 16:01:13

If you can afford it just say "no thanks but I'm giving a donation to mnd in support of all of you who are better with the cold than me --right now--"

Mmolly2013 Sun 24-Aug-14 16:02:27

Do it without the ice and use warm water and pretend it's cold

us warm water or donate without doing the challenge.

wawabear Sun 24-Aug-14 16:31:55

Thanks all - I think I might do a Patrick Stewart! I thought about using warm water instead but warm water soon turns cold and I don't suffer the cold well at all!

I do an awful lot for charity anyway so I shouldn't feel too guilty but its just the fact of wimping out without arousing suspicion. Trying to explain having camomile tea instead of my usual double latte was stressful enough, I have no poker face!

birdofthenorth Sun 24-Aug-14 18:27:14

You could always say you're wimping out due to feeling unwell? Also in the secret stages of pregnancy and dreading a nomination. Ain't no way I'm doing it. I will chicken out and donate.

TheScenicRoute Sun 24-Aug-14 18:51:01

Can you bake? Could you make a bucket shaped cake and take it into work and tell them it was a challenge to make? They'd soon forget their protests when they tucked into it!

I do not think its safe at all. Would you put your body in the position of any other kind of systemic shock at this point in your life? Not worth it.

JennyBlueWren Sun 24-Aug-14 20:03:40

My husband nominated me! Think I'll just ignore it or do a mini challenge -folk know I'm pregnant which is probably why I wasn't nominated before. Husband hates water over his face so did it by pouring iced water down his pants instead!!

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sun 24-Aug-14 20:10:27

I'm 9 weeks and it's not common knowledge so I'm just laying low on Facebook so no one thinks of me!! grin

junkfoodaddict Sun 24-Aug-14 20:27:04

I'm okay as most people know I'm 10 weeks pregnant. if someone did nominate me, I'd remind them they're an idiot for thinking a pregnant woman would do this. Though I would consider giving to the charity.
Just because a charity has been made popular and public by an odd request to douse yourself in ice water, doesn't mean to say you HAVE to give to it; and you're not being mean by saying no. There are a lot of charities all wanting people to donate and give and unfortunately it isn't possible to give to them all. We all have to pick and choose the charities that we are close to.

curiousgeorgie Sun 24-Aug-14 20:44:41

The actress Hayden Panettiere did it with quite a big bump I think...

I would definitely use it as an excuse not to! wink

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 24-Aug-14 20:48:28

Im 31 weeks too am whilst I am pretty certain it wont do me any harm, I will wait til im on Mat Leave before doing it (if its still going by then). if it brings on labour I want to be at least 36/37 weeks!

Littlepeanutbump Sun 24-Aug-14 22:10:47

This is getting really popular now and filling up a lot of my newsfeed, I would avoid doing it, better to be safe than sorry?! Could always donate though smile x

stationaryace Sun 24-Aug-14 22:34:09

I'm not doing it but because I object to the "nominate" dares that are going around, rather than because I'm pregnant hmm It's the modern version of chain letters, yay...

Droflove Sun 24-Aug-14 23:50:00

If you don't want to do it don't. But im very sure it's safe.

Hatetidyingthehouse Mon 25-Aug-14 09:02:39

I wouldn't do it but I'm sure it's safe enough. Even though I am no expert at all. I'm sure the experts would advise you not to.
If you've been nominated through Facebook can you pretend to have not seen it?

Hatetidyingthehouse Mon 25-Aug-14 09:03:22

You know what. Do it but with warm water and a few ice cubes for show. No one will know

museumum Mon 25-Aug-14 09:16:06

Just chuck some warm water over your head if you want to keep your pg secret. Nobody will know.
It's like drinking. No reason not to drink but if you want to divert suspicions sometimes it's easier to pretend you are.

Chunderella Mon 25-Aug-14 09:21:37

I wouldn't want any unnecessary shocks to the system during pregnancy myself. Not had any nominations but if I get any, I'll be refusing on those grounds.

wawabear Mon 25-Aug-14 12:34:42

Thanks all for your advice. Whilst I am sure it's safe I don't think I want to risk it. If something bad did happen I would always be wondering if it was due to the challenge.

So I have just put on my facebook "sorry mate but I am wimping out and I will put my donation in the Macmillan tin at work". I have already raised over £3k for Macmillan this year so I don't feel guilty about not dowsing myself in ice cold water and I am making another donation.

I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong and I know the guy who nominated me would not have done so if he had known.

Thanks again all for your suggestions and good luck not getting nominated!

bethan2jones Tue 26-Aug-14 22:33:29

Yep I've got the same problem! Am 8 weeks and had a miscarriage earlier in the year so being pretty cautious, only thing is its my 5 year old niece whose challenged me... if it were an adult I'd probably just conscientiously object to the chain mail nature of these challenges!! and donate instead, but may just have to do the warm water thing instead!

MultipleMama Tue 26-Aug-14 22:59:34

I'm 19 weeks and I did it last week with a massive bucket and two bags of ice chucked in, my 5yo nominated me, I'm fine; it's just water. I got changed and dried straight after.

It's not an issue, if you don't make it one. Just say no and that you've donated instead if you don't want to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now