Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre eclampsia

(3 Posts)
Verity23 Sun 24-Aug-14 12:41:16

If you had pre eclampsia is your first pregnancy, did you get it again in any subsequent pregnancies? I'm 26 weeks with my 2nd and starting to get nervous about it happening again.

Errrr2012 Sun 24-Aug-14 18:08:40

It's much less likely to occur in subsequent pregnancies but the risk of getting it again increases the earlier you had it first time round. I was told I have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it again as I had it v severely (+HELLP syndrome) at 31 weeks. I'm currently 33weeks with DC2 and haven't felt nearly as rough this time so maybe I'll get away with it, at least until 36/37 weeks. Ask your midwife/consultant for the stats, I assume you're consultant led this time if you had it badly last time. Good luck x x

PloddingDaily Sun 24-Aug-14 18:44:10

Hello. I had an emergency c section at 34 wks with my first pregnancy, which was a week further on than we all expected to get to! smile

second time around was nerve wracking but we got to 35 weeks before my bp went up & the placenta started to fail - not sure whether that was the onset of PET again or because I've had type 1 diabetes for decades.

Both kids are fine, and the only long term health issues I had were diabetes related (preg associated retinopathy). Second time round was far less dramatic or traumatic medically - I even got to have skin to skin time post birth, which was wonderful!

Wishing you all the best, try & relax (I know, easy for me to say! wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now