Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

swollen chin/neck?

(11 Posts)
squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 11:35:33

I'm 37+2 ... not had a great deal of swelling.

Today my DH noticed that the front of my neck and under my chin looked very puffy and swollen. It doesn't hurt and isn't red and I feel fine. He was worried because he said it could be a gland but my glands are not swollen- the front just seems very puffy. I think it's normal swelling. It's painless and I have just recently got a massive 'moon face'.

Do I put this down to unflattering 3rd trimester bloat or should I see my GP or midwife?

BellaVida Sun 24-Aug-14 11:42:17

It could just be bloating but it can also be a sign of preeclampsia. I would get checked out to be on the safe side.

squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 11:52:25

I've had a feel and it feels like a swollen gland on one side. Like something is there not just general bloat. hmm Will ring midwife.

ErmagerdANerknerm Sun 24-Aug-14 12:16:35

I had something like this, one side of my jaw underneath my chin was swollen and you could grab the swelling. Completely painless. Turned out to be a plunging ranula (saliva filled cyst due to a dodgy gland) and I had to have my salivary gland removed eventually. Could just be swollen glands if you're a bit under the weather though, I'd speak to your GP rather than midwife.

squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 12:43:47

Thanks Ermegerd ... I think I will ring after lunch. They will probably tell me to go and wait for hours at the weekend surgery but better safe than sorry. DH had a cold last week so for all I know it's that (but would've expected to actually have a cold then).

squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 12:53:52

...am now paranoid because it seems the place your thyroid would be on one side shock so now I'm paranoid I have goiter or something!!

amy83firsttimer Sun 24-Aug-14 17:43:27

Any update squiz?

squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 18:05:07

I rang the hospital and they said it sounds like a glandular thing - maybe pregnancy goiter (which is caused by a temporary lack of some minerals such as iodine) but not "rush to hospital" thankfully. The swelling wasn't like an odema they said, too localised. They said go to the doctors Tuesday. Phew.

amy83firsttimer Sun 24-Aug-14 18:31:34

Glad your mind's been put at rest - I noticed on other posts you've mentioned anxiety so very glad you asked and got it answered. Have a nice bank holiday.

squizita Sun 24-Aug-14 18:52:58

Thanks. Yeah I was quite worried.
Glad I stuck to the "rules" checking only the NHS site and ringing the hospital.
There's an out of hours GP near me: if its bigger or hurts tomorrow I will pop in there. You have to wait an hour or so but they're pretty OK.

squizita Mon 25-Aug-14 10:29:03

Quick update: Dr said it was a soft swelling and he thinks my thyroid is just finding it hard going in the 3rd trimester. Having a routine blood test but he thinks its quite straightforward. Baby already a good size (risk seems to be if it happens before it is developed it can slow things down) so he wasn't concerned about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now