Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

am i going to go into labour soon?

(9 Posts)
SineadLegge Sat 23-Aug-14 22:22:24

I'm 35 weeks an 3 days pregnant, I've been getting really bad stabbing pains in my lower back at the top of my vagina and period like cramps at the bottom of my belly. I rang the midwife and she said I just need to rest for the full week all I have done is rest! I have pressure now and again on my bum as if i need a poo but I don't need a poo! .. the baby's head has been down now for nearly3 weeks. Just want everyone's opinion as I don't really think she knew what she was talking about!

LittleKirk Sun 24-Aug-14 07:08:43

hi honey

sorry to hear that your midwife hasn't given you any indication as to what's going on.

I went into the hospital yesterday for similar sort of pains (lower back, low pressure etc) and here's what the senior midwife told me:

the pain in the back could be where the baby is lying (i.e. on your back) so that when baby moves or kicks or you get any Braxton hicks baby is just pushed further into your back

low pressure is where your body is getting ready for Labour and the baby is getting pushed down into your pelvis. the head can engage at this point or at birth, it's sorta up to them lol.

Call your antenatal day assessment unit and tell them. they should more than likely ask you to come in where they will monitor baby and check you to see how far down the baby is, whether your cervix is opening and whether the plug is in tact.

unfortunately I was told to rest as well, put a pillow between my legs laying on my side in bed and not to open my legs too far as it can start off my Labour (I'm 35 weeks too). the senior midwife said that with these pains it can be a couple day Apr a couple weeks until I give birth- either way with these sort of symptoms you probably won't go full term.

hopefully this helps smile x

SineadLegge Sun 24-Aug-14 08:08:48

Shows how much midwife's (some) can care she didn't take the time of day to even tell me these things considering it's my first and I'm 18 I don't live with my mum or anyone who's had a baby so sometimes it's just guessing what the symptoms are :/ thank you so much love you have helped a lot!! I have my 37 week check up on the third that's if j make it till then lol! Thank you so much again j really appreciate this! X good luck!

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 24-Aug-14 08:11:34

The things you are describing all sound like normal last week fees of pregnancy symptoms to me op!
But if your ever concerned always go and get checked out

SineadLegge Sun 24-Aug-14 08:16:43

Thank you, sometimes it's like your nagging them or feel a idiot cause maybe there's nothing wrong x

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 24-Aug-14 08:18:21

Don't worry about nagging and nothing being wrong. Imagine if you didn't nag and something was wrong.
Always best to be on the safe side!

SineadLegge Sun 24-Aug-14 08:26:22

True, thank you

Bessiebigpants Sun 24-Aug-14 08:41:37

I m not trying to be insulting,but are you sure of your dates?Could you be further along than you think?If so it might be worth seeing your midwife and asking for and exam but to be fair if the baby is coming its coming watch for a show I guess and go from there.If your dates are right then try to take it easy as much as possible 35 plus week babies are either great feeders or very slow so you could be in hospital for a couple of weeks which is a bit rubbish.I felt from 35 weeks onwards I was holding the weight of the world down there but got to 40 plus weeks it's just uncomfortable.I hope you feel better soon.

SineadLegge Sun 24-Aug-14 08:49:13

I don't find that comment insulting don't worry lol! Everyone has said this to me but not that long ago I was measuring small and now everything this fine :/ I personally think I might be the right dates but i think looking into that might be a idea.. I'm achy all over I have so much energy this morning as well. Pregnancy is the strangest thing lol! Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now