Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Taking Sertraline during pregnancy - any recent experience?

(11 Posts)
Pearljam79 Sat 23-Aug-14 09:42:40

There was a thread about this a few years ago but I just wondered if any ladies out there are currently on Sertraline whilst pg/bf? I've been on it for 6 months and just found out (to my and my dh's) shock and surprise (we've been ttc for 3 years) that I'm 5 weeks pg. I don't really want to stop taking it but I'm concerned there may be issues if I continue with it...

ithoughtofitfirst Sat 23-Aug-14 09:54:19

I am taking it and currently 33 weeks. I was on Venlafaxine for a while but my psychiatrist kept mentioning sertraline as the one to be on if I want to breastfeed and (after much thought) decided I did cause i breastfed my DS and enjoyed It. So i switched really recently. All the scans are fine and measurements have been spot on so it seems to be ok. Plus i have felt more stable this pregnancy than I did last time which has meant ive been eating well, exercising and taking vitamins etc etc so you have kind of got to weigh it all up really

Congratulations btw! Xx

Sammi1986 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:49:43

Me, after discussing it with my doc we all agreed the benefits of me continuing the medication outweighed any risk. However she was keen to stress that I couldn't go by the online arguments that scaremonger women into believing their babies are at risk as there have obviously not been any medical trials.
My baby is now a happy healthy 14 week old.
Good luck in your pregnancy and stay well! smile

WhyNotSmile Sat 23-Aug-14 13:12:57

I've been on 100mg daily a while - reduced from 150mg on GP's advice when we decided to start TTC. I talked it through with my GP and she said it was very safe, and the benefits far outweighed the risks. All the research I did said the same. My son was born 15 days ago and is fine! He was a bit early (4 weeks) but there's no reason to think that was anything to do with the medication. I wouldn't think twice about staying on it if I was pregnant again!

mrsgembles Sat 23-Aug-14 17:43:07

I'm breastfeeding on Venlafaxine. My GP and midwife both checked it out for me and said the + will outweigh the -

Pearljam79 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:53:18

Thankyou ithought, Sammi, Whynot & mrsg, that's super helpful and has set my mind at rest, I was so worried that I would have to stop taking it and how that would affect me (I've suffered with depression & stress for several years) and the thought of adding a baby into the mix was frightening to say the least!

LBNM19 Sun 24-Aug-14 13:14:31

Hi I'm also taking it, started during pregnancy around 20 weeks I'm now 31 weeks, on 50mg x

Pearljam79 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:49:40

Hi LBNM - I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only m2b out there who's taking antidepressants - it's kind of reassuring! I'm taking 100mg daily which has helped level out my moods and generally made my life (and my husband's) a lot easier!
How has it been for you? X

LBNM19 Mon 25-Aug-14 13:23:38

Hi, yes it's really helped me, I had postnatal depression after my first child was born and was prescribed citalopram, I recovered pretty quickly and was only on them for 5 months. This time it was more anixety for me which was why they were started during pregnancy I was having very intrusive thoughts and ended up under mental health team etc, along with that and the meds I feel alot better. Glad to hear they are making life easier for you to. I was worried about taking them but defiantly worth it xx

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 26-Aug-14 16:13:40

I'm on 100mg sertraline and currently 22 weeks with no problems. My consultant agreed for me to go up to 150mg if necessary. Personally, I'm 100% more of a risk to my baby and myself without it, so I'm definitely staying on it when I hopefully breastfeed too!
I changed to sertraline from 300mg venlafaxine a few years ago as I wasn't getting on with it after years at that dose, and I mentioned to the psychiatrist that I wanted to TTC, and she recommended sertraline as the #1 option for TTC/pregnant/breastfeeding women smile congratulations! Take care of yourself in the first few months because not only do the hormones make you feel crap, but since you'll have more blood pumping around your body, the concentration of medication can be diluted and you might feel wobbly. Make sure you have a strong support network and know who to call in a crisis.

HerVagesty Wed 27-Aug-14 09:34:14

I am on 150 a day and ditto what Peaceloveandbiscuits mentioned. I am also more at risk without it and if not on it will affect DS and DD(in-utero) negatively as well as myself.

36 weeks pregnant and it's one of the safest to take during pregnancy at this current time! The baby gets such a small concentration of the drug through the placenta and in the breast milk that there are no withdrawal symptoms upon birth or weaning.

Congratulations, good luck and whatever you do don't miss a dose! It feels worse when you are pregnant and the zaps and jitters (I find) kick in within 3 hours of missing the dose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now