Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heart burn

(17 Posts)
ohthegoats Fri 22-Aug-14 10:47:15

OK, what can I do? Rennies don't touch it, Gaviscon doesn't touch it. Is there a prescription option?

It would be better if there were foods that cause it, and foods that don't, but for me it's random. Last week went out for almost exactly the same meal I had last night, with no effect. Last night however I was in agony for about 4 hours. Hardly any sleep, mostly cried on the sofa between 1 and 5am, burping and heaving and just wishing I could be sick properly. By that point though my stomach would have been empty apart from Rennies. In the end half a pint of milk stopped it enough for me to go to sleep, but it was still here a bit when I woke up at 9. Sometimes milk starts it off.

I've tried sitting up to sleep (yes, that doesn't make for a successful 'sleep' really), the half jacked up position etc, none of them make a consistent difference.

MrsMonkeyBear Fri 22-Aug-14 10:51:45

Goats,

I had the same problem. In fact mine got so bad I started throwing up (not fun with emetophobia)

GP put me on 300mg of ranitidine (Zantac) a day and it has made the biggest of differences. Took a couple of days to work but is completely safe to use. You can get it OTC but why spend money if you don't have to. If your GP does phone consults then ask them for a script.

ZenNudist Fri 22-Aug-14 10:56:10

I suffered with this in both pregnancies. I lasted out as long as I could swigging gaviscon then got prescription for omaprazole and it was nice to stop throwing up all the time. I started earlier with ds2 and it's done neither of my dc any harm.

Sounds like you need to step up to prescription medication.

ZenNudist Fri 22-Aug-14 10:56:44

Oh and drink peppermint tea, wonderful stuff.

LouisaJF Fri 22-Aug-14 10:57:24

I know it sounds daft but Love Hearts! Tonic water was good too.

Pregnantagain7 Fri 22-Aug-14 10:58:45

Hey goats ranitidine stops it fantastic stuff failing that omaperazole. You can buy ranitidine over the counter but they won't sell it to a pregnant woman so send dp in for it or see your gp smile

ohthegoats Fri 22-Aug-14 11:00:01

MonkeyBear - yes, I feel as if I'm getting near to the throwing up stage. I'm never quite sure whether I want it to happen or not!

Zantac... OK, I'm going to Boots (just because it's quicker than the Dr). Even better it sounds like you don't need to chew them.. that's a major issue with Rennie and Gaviscon is the chewing of basically a lump of badly flavoured chalk that then sticks to your teeth. Urgh.

ohthegoats Fri 22-Aug-14 11:01:01

Louisa - I have a £6 box of Love Hearts that I bought off Amazon last week after reading something on here. They do sort of help.

ohthegoats Fri 22-Aug-14 11:01:22

Ah, OK I'll send boyfriend to Boots.

ZenNudist Fri 22-Aug-14 11:06:13

Don't chew gaviscon tablets, get the bottles of the stuff. I had it on repeat prescription so if the omaprazole wasn't working I'd swig some gaviscon as well (2 small sips to approximate the 10ml dose) helps at night.

lanbro Fri 22-Aug-14 11:11:02

Liquid Gaviscon, I drank it by the bottle.

Celery and melon are natural remedies. I hate celery but forced myself to eat it when I had nothing else and worked a treat!

beckworth Fri 22-Aug-14 11:11:34

Second the liquid not tablets suggestion: I find the gaviscon tablets keep it under control during the day but at 36 weeks I'm now having to have the gaviscon liquid to manage it when it's bad at night. Can't stand the stuff (hence trying to use the tablets when I can) but it really is more effective.

FirsttimerG Fri 22-Aug-14 22:26:08

I got Gaviscon advanced from the pharmacy on prescription (you don't need to see a doctor for it) and its brilliant, and free, and miles better than the liquid off the shelf version of normal gaviscon.
Also Zantac 75 and rennies. Xxx

Binglesplodge Sat 23-Aug-14 00:05:39

Omeprazole on prescription has been great for me though my heartburn is getting a bit worse in the third tri and I'm still swigging gaviscon during the night. It's worth the prescription though - saved my sanity to be able to eat during the day without immediate repercussions!

ohthegoats Sat 23-Aug-14 09:53:37

Thank you SO MUCH for the Zantac recommendation. I took one yesterday at 11.30am, and managed two whole meals yesterday AND almost 7 hours sleep. Feel like a different person today.

Will check I'm actually allowed to take it when I next see a doctor, but if they are prescribing 300mg quantities and over the counter is 75mg, I can't see the problem. I'll just take the odd one when I really need to until then though - yesterday I was just stuck in a rut of not being able to stop the bloody burning, so it sorted that for me.

Yay!!

PassTheCremeEggs Sat 23-Aug-14 09:56:38

Get a ranitidine prescription - my midwife sorted one for me - I took one a day for the last three months of my pregnancy and never had any heartburn after that. Up to that point had been drinking gaviscon from the bottle and it wasn't touching it.

ohthegoats Sat 23-Aug-14 12:23:23

Interestingly, almost exactly 24 hours after I took the last pill, I started to get a little bit of the burn back. Popped another one, all fine again. This stuff is amazing, I might be a bit in love with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now