Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone given birth with hemorrhoids?

(28 Posts)
allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 10:28:31

TMI...

I seem to have piles. They are internal but pop out when I poo confused I am absolutely terrified now of childbirth. What will happen then? Google has loads of horror stories of them hurting worse than stitches....

Also reading reports that no cream will help in pregnancy, is this true? I've put germaloids on twice and plan to pick up suppositories today. Or is this a waste of time? shockshockshock

Pregnantagain7 Fri 22-Aug-14 11:15:43

I think you will find that loads on women have given birth with them. Loads of creams help though pile cream with hydrocortisone is good, ice packs reduce swelling a warm bath can be soothing, your gp can prescribe stronger creams if over the counter stuff doesn't work sounds weird but I found vagisil cream was amazing the gp prescribed it for me as it contains lidocaine which is a numbing cream the relief was instant! You can buit at any chemist or supermarket.
Good luck they really are evil!! grin

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 11:18:38

Are they likely to pop out and not go back in after birth? This is my biggest fear.

Were you treated during pregnancy or after? Have sent mum out for suppositories...seriously embarrassed.

Droflove Fri 22-Aug-14 11:20:10

It will be okay. I would start using the cream religiously and see how you go. I had am outbreak a few weeks ago (im 39 weeks now) and thought that was me screwed for the next 6 mts but I used the cream immediately and it cleared up surprisingly well within about 4 days. No problem since. I am expecting a problem again after labour but ill fight that battle then.

gargalesis Fri 22-Aug-14 11:24:19

Ugh I feel the same OP. I'm not scared about pushing a baby out, but I'm petrified when I think about what state my hemorrhoids will be in afterwards!! I watched a video of a woman giving birth on youtube and it looked like her bum was inside out. I nearly wept.

gargalesis Fri 22-Aug-14 11:25:07

(sorry for being dramatic)

EllaBella220 Fri 22-Aug-14 11:28:48

Definitely use the suppositories for the internal piles as it works from the inside which is what you need. When in for induction with my 2nd child I had piles and was hobbling around the ward when the midwife asked what was wrong. She checked me over, said yep and just treated it herself and put it in my notes for them to treat it every 4-6 hours. A little embarrassing but they were checking how dilated I was anyway so they were in the area. Just make sure you treat them and don't leave them to chance.

plantsitter Fri 22-Aug-14 11:31:38

My name's plantsitter and I had horrendous piles both times (in fact the midwife said they were the worst she'd seen proud).

I won't lie, they were pretty dreadful just after birth BUT they cleared up v quickly with plenty of pile cream and warm baths. And they never caused any probs with the first post labour poo.

Over share, sorry. Just make sure you have plenty of cream available for after the birth.

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 13:43:11

Would you do every 4-6 hours as opposed to every morning and night? I'm inclined to do so, but for how many days? Or shall I just see how I go? I'm due to be induced at 39 weeks so only have about 10 days to sort this confused

Droflove Fri 22-Aug-14 14:48:29

Dont forget the prune juice and kiwis!

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 22-Aug-14 14:53:57

I just came on here to ask about piles!! So annoying i didn't get anything like this last pregnancy

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 15:02:33

I know ithought!

My third pregnancy and never had them! Off out for a big bottle of lactulose...

tobysmum77 Fri 22-Aug-14 16:37:12

I had them badly after both births. tbh getting them to settle now may not be a biggie because the births omg. Whatever you do after the birth get the strongest possible stuff on prescription.

So I'm 2.5 years after 2nd baby and still having some issues. I think they will need banding but am putting off visiting the doctors blush .

But hey I got my flat stomach back, have full continence and my bits are all where they should be so it's not all bad wink

ohthegoats Fri 22-Aug-14 18:37:47

I was out for dinner with two GPs last night - they said they see at least two cases of piles every day each. It's one of the most common things seen at surgerys. So, don't be embarrassed about it, just go and get them ringed (or whatever it is that they do to them).

EllaBella220 Fri 22-Aug-14 20:23:44

allisgood I was putting the cream on as much as I possibly could as mine were so painful I was in tears trying to sit/lie/stand so more often than 4-6 hours! Not sure what the recommended dose it but I didn't care at that stage. I was actually alternating between the prescribed ointment and germaloids cream (aswell as some numbing gel my sister had from the hospital) as I'd heard sometimes the creams are more affective.

The one thing I found was that having softer (faster) poops was more painful than a normal one so I didn't take stool softener as advised with piles. Sorry TMI but just incase you find the softer stools sting more then it might be best just leaving the lactulose alone.

sunnyrosegarden Fri 22-Aug-14 20:29:38

In my first labour, I actually thought I was giving birth to piles! I was convinced that I had actually turned myself inside out - vague memories through the diamorphine of whimpering that there would be nothing left inside me. Lactalose is your friend!

There is one cream you can use in pregnancy (forget which) and sitting on an icepack helps.

MsSampson Fri 22-Aug-14 20:52:11

I have been using germoloids for about three weeks and they're getting worse not better - is there anything I can get from the chemist that would be better or should I go to the doctor? (36 wks here ). Also, I watched a video on the nhs website last night with a midwife who said you should try and push them back in - but it really hurts! Sorry for thread hijack OP, but it seems there are a lot of us suffering and worrying about giving birth. The whole pregnancy thing is seriously undignified. .

Waggamamma Fri 22-Aug-14 20:55:08

Mine aren't painful but there are three the size of very large grapes and a couple of smaller ones blush . Have tried the prescription cream, it does nothing for mine. Getting clean after a poo takes about half a loo roll and lots of baby wipes. Get them sorted whilw they're still small!

At 38wks I've given up hope of anything working before I give birth and going back to the doc after delivery.

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 21:03:57

Mssampson, I'm giving germaloids until Tuesday to work then going to GP. I'd go if I were you. And apparently there is way more than just one thing they can prescribe.

However having only done one suppository today, when I did a poo they didn't come out so may be already effective!

EllaBella220 Fri 22-Aug-14 21:25:18

I didn't have to go see my GP. I just rang and asked for a prescription. I told the receptionist that I'd tried prep H and anusol (which I did) and neither were helping. The doc had no problem prescribing me proctosedyl ointment and suppositories without having to have a look. Thankfully!! It took a few days to actually work though.....during which time I asked the poor nurse to check on them because they were massive and I was in so much pain I thought they were infected or something. The shame. She only expected to give me the whooping cough vaccine, not look at my arse!

MsSampson Fri 22-Aug-14 21:26:23

Allisgood - which suppositories are you using? I can't get to the doctors for a few days but think I need to upgrade from germoloids in the meantime. Although I am really squeamish about poking anything up my bum at all, have a tendency to clench very hard, so not relishing the prospect. Might give warm baths and ice packs a go over the weekend too. Fingers crossed yours continue to improve!

MsSampson Fri 22-Aug-14 21:42:03

Ellabella, your GP sounds great, mine is obsessed with pregnant women taking no medicine at all which is quite frustrating.

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 22-Aug-14 22:42:31

My fanjo and asshole are in tatters. I just made the mistake of looking down there in a mirror after days of 'something doesn't feel right' and im sorry I did... there are lumps and bumps and swollen things coming out of everything. I thought the head was coming out (im only 33 weeks)

I'm having my mum take a look in the morning. So embarrassing sad

What Is the matter with me? Is it because I was still running up until recently?

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 22:52:52

Mssampson, I'm also using germaloids. But if they aren't working for you see or call your GP Tuesday.

I'm noticing that when the suppository wears off (after about 6 hours), the pain in returning. Hope they shrink as this SUCKS!

allisgood1 Fri 22-Aug-14 22:54:42

ithought, I had varicose veins in/on my fanjo last time. I knew nothing about it until the consultant told me when he was stitching me up confused They were gone 2 weeks later.

Are they bothering you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now