Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have I had a misscarriage?

(14 Posts)
Cathyclare123 Wed 20-Aug-14 16:10:19

Can anyone help? I'm about 6.5 weeks pregnant.
This morning I went to the toilet and I had lots of small deep red clots (no real blood just a bit of deep red discharge when I wiped, as soon as I wiped it was gone and that was it no more bleeding or discharge.
I rang my doctor and he says il have miscarried and I need to see if I have a normal period in the next week.
But my local early pregnancy unit has booked me in for a scan a week on Monday and says not to give up hope, I'm confused at what to think.
Has anyone had similar?

fusspot66 Wed 20-Aug-14 16:26:33

Your GP cannot possibly know, especially on the basis of a telephone consultation. Monday at the EPU will show more. It is common to bleed in early pregnancy. I had some truly shocking gushes of fresh blood a 9 weeks but all was well and he's a healthy 4 yr old now. Try to rest and keep calm till Monday - not easy I know. Can the EPU not see you sooner? If you get cramps that's less reassuring, & you may want to get some good painkillers in ,like co-codamol just in case. Best wishes x

weeblueberry Wed 20-Aug-14 16:41:46

I'm very surprised that your GP said it was likely to be a miscarriage! It's absolutely not something he/she can diagnose, never mind without seeing you...

strawberryshoes Wed 20-Aug-14 16:49:23

I had this with first pregnancy, had a bleed, over quickly, a few largeish clots, then nothing. Went to GP who said it was a miscarriage and to wait for period to come. No scan booked, nothing. I waited for period... It never came, I only realised I was pregnant still when I went for a scan 14 weeks later to see what was going on, and was told I was 22 weeks pregnant! I was getting a bit fat but thought it was emotional eating related.

Second pregnancy, had a lighter bleed around the same time and asked midwife about it who said it was probably an implantation bleed and not to worry. Everything was fine at 12 week scan 4 weeks later.

I am NOT saying everything will be fine, I can't possibly know, but I did want to say, wait for your scan - it might not be over yet.

Cathyclare123 Wed 20-Aug-14 16:52:51

He said it was likely to be one and that he was sorry for that bad news, I was a little shocked that he made that diagnosis over the phone, hence phone the EPU after and posting on here,
I had no pain at the time and have had none since, nor have I had any more bleeding, just a waiting game now I guess.

Chislemum Wed 20-Aug-14 16:59:59

Sending you a hug and echoing strawberryshoes' comment. Try to get an earlier appointment. The wait is awful.

SquattingNeville Wed 20-Aug-14 19:36:40

That was very irresponsible of your GP to say that over the phone without seeing you. Bleeding is quite common in the first trimester, and only your EPU will be able to tell you what's going on by scanning you. Try and get a sooner appointment if possible flowers

Applepot Wed 20-Aug-14 22:01:34

Until you have had your scan try and stay positive. Similar thing happened to me when I was 5w+3, I had bright red drops of blood when I wiped, so I shouted to my DH who is a GP, he looked and said I was having a mc, but he was wrong! DD is now a gorgeous 8 months old. Don't give up hope yet, best of luck for next Monday x

Cathyclare123 Mon 01-Sep-14 16:42:01

Just thought I would update everyone, have been for my scan today and the baby is fine, found the heart beat straight away, thanks everyone for telling me to stay positive!

bumpitybumpbump Mon 01-Sep-14 17:17:53

Great news Cathy!

LBNM19 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:15:49

Good news smile

tuffgingernut Mon 01-Sep-14 18:51:27

brilliant news smile

Littlepeanutbump Mon 01-Sep-14 19:45:26

Great news smile a bit late to post but I too had a bleed in my first trimester and was referred to the epu, I never got to have a scan in the end but baby is now a bouncing little boy and lights up our world, so glad to hear everything is ok! I went to the drop in centre where a nurse too told me I was probably miss carrying and to wait for a further bleed and to rest and take some pain relief, apparently 50% of all pregnancies suffer a bleed in the first trimester so its less uncommon than one might think, I'm so glad you remained hopeful and your gorgeous little one is healthy and happy in there thanks

Bellyrub1980 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:46:31

Lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now