Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried. Protein in urine and high blood pressure

(23 Posts)
Waggamamma Wed 20-Aug-14 13:29:05

I'm 37+5. At my midwife appointment today she said my blood pressure was up and there was a trace of protein in my urine. The baby's heartbeat was also over 160. She listened again 5mins later and it had settled at around 155 and my own bp had come down slightly.

She said to go back next week for bp check and keep an eye on baby's movements.

This has got me really worried as it all points to pre eclampsia doesn't it? I'm a bit of a worrier/panicker anyway. Has anyone had similiar experience? Is it really ok just to wait a week and see how things are?

Hakluyt Wed 20-Aug-14 13:32:26

Have you been told what to do if you get any more symptoms?

FoodieMum3 Wed 20-Aug-14 13:34:03

I personally would want to be rechecked tomorrow.

Waggamamma Wed 20-Aug-14 13:38:11

No, she never actually mentioned pre eclampsia at all, just from my own knowledge I know these are symptoms.

CripesItsTheGasMan Wed 20-Aug-14 13:39:09

I had this too around the 35 week mark. I was told to go back in the next day for a check just in case and everything was fine.

GalaxyInMyPants Wed 20-Aug-14 13:41:14

Where I work no such thing as a trace of protein. If positive for protein we have to take bloods. I'd want my blood doing. Guess different places have different guidelines.

Hakluyt Wed 20-Aug-14 13:43:27

Ok. You need to be very vigilant for head ache or abdominal pain, any swelling or any part of your body, any sort of visual disturbance- any sort of "not feeling quite right". If you have any of those, I suggest you take yourself to hospital. In any case, go back to the Drs tomorrow and ask for your bp to be checked. Also ask them to give you some of the "dip stick" things so you can check for protein daily

I hope I haven't panicked you, and it may be nothing, but you do need to be aware. And make sure your bag's packed and with you at all times. Good luck!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 20-Aug-14 13:44:34

I've had this on and off for a few weeks. Hasn't developed into anything yet. Try not to worry. Only thing I think you can really do to help it is rest.

MaMaPo Wed 20-Aug-14 13:46:55

I got this at about 38+2. I was under a consultant (privately). I had also had some spotting so I stayed in hospital overnight, allowed home the next day as BP had dropped a bit, but readmitted about 3 days later when BP rose.

I was offered an induction at the first admission - consultant laid out his concerns and pros/cons. We opted to wait. At the second admission he was more forceful about his opinion, and as I was already slightly dilated we went for an induction.

Induction was fine itself - painless, and labour was going great. Ended up having to have an unplanned csection though, as baby's head was twisted (ear first!) and pushing wasn't budging her.

In the end, although none of this went to plan, I recovered super fast and look back quite happily about my care, the options we were given and the decisions we made.

Best of luck. Try not to worry but do keep getting checked.

MaMaPo Wed 20-Aug-14 13:48:19

Agree about having hospital bag ready!

Everything Hak said, but also try not to be alone. I was taken into hospital with Pre-Ec at 22 weeks and stayed there until I was induced at 35 weeks.

Went in on the Thu, expecting to be let home on the Mon. Instead I woke up in ICU on Sat having collapsed on the ward with no (extra) warning. I fought against being taken in as I didn't think there was anything wrong with me - and tbh the Doctors thought my midwife was being over cautious. If I hadn't gone in I would have been completely alone all weekend, and not missed until Monday. By which time either DD or both of us would have been dead.

So make sure someone is keeping an eye on you

HilariousInHindsight Wed 20-Aug-14 13:54:44

I had several urine infections from week 34 to 39 when DD was born.

Protein in urine and uates and bp kept going up then down.

I pushed a bit to be checked over for a few hours. They then induced me and I had to ultimately get an emcs as my blood pressure was above 130 and mess only kept it even.

Not trying to alarm you just saying if it doesn't feel right then push it-- I took no chances for DDs sake.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy and birth goes smoothly thanks

Waggamamma Wed 20-Aug-14 13:58:46

Ah ok, thanks for all your quick advice. I will be vigilant for other symptoms and phone traige if I have any more symptoms. My bags are packed.

In regards to not being alone, that's not really possible all the time, dp has to work (evening shifts 3pm-midnight) and I have a nearly 4year old at home. Although he's back at preschool now though so I am getting a good rest 12-3pm.

My bp could have been up due to walk to the surgery as it did come down during my appointment. I really hope this doesn't come to anything.sad

YouAreMyRain Wed 20-Aug-14 14:20:52

If you are worried, you can pop to the GP for a blood pressure check.
I went through similar and basically the midwives starting taking it more seriously the longer it went on. I had to keep popping to the local hospital for blood pressure and blood tests. I saw a consultant on the Tuesday who told me I was "brewing pre-eclampsia" but there was nothing I could do about it. He asked me to pop in for another check up on the thurs. They wouldn't let me leave the hospital and my DS was born a few hours later by crash c section at 30 weeks!

He is fine now and nearly one. I just want to reassure you that I know how scary it is but the system is well geared up to dealing with these things.

The midwives will know when to up the observations etc but if you are concerned, ring them or go to your GP.

SweetPea3 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:11:55

I agree that you should go to your GP for a blood pressure check tomorrow. I had raised blood pressure suddenly at 36+5 and they ended up inducing me the next day after further tests (blood tests, trace etc). I had no other symptoms (no protein in urine, no headaches etc).

A week is too long to leave it between checks from what I've seen and read as pre-e can come on very quickly and is dangerous for you and for baby. Better to be safe than sorry! x

mrsgembles Wed 20-Aug-14 20:27:39

I was sent to hospital by my midwife yesterday for this exact thing. I was in there for 6 hours, had my BP taken twice, and urine again, and bloods taken. Eventually I was allowed home after a chat with an OB who told me that my BP had gone back down nearly to normal again, and the protein, whilst present, wasn't particularly worrying. I'm 38 weeks and was told to just be wary of any headaches or vision disturbances, then he wished me luck and said he'd see me again when I have my baby!

Waggamamma Wed 20-Aug-14 20:56:19

So would I just phone my gp surgery and ask for someone to check my blood pressure? They're usually really busy.....

mrsgembles Wed 20-Aug-14 21:08:52

If you're worried call them. Play the pregnancy card, you are absolutely within your rights to!

CorporateRockWhore Wed 20-Aug-14 21:16:25

My surgery has a wee room where you can check your own blood pressure, maybe yours might do too?

But a nurse should squeeze you in for a quick check, as you're pregnant and obviously at risk of PE.

FWIW, I had it in both pregnancies, was induced at 39 weeks both times and was totally fine. Good luck!

Waggamamma Fri 22-Aug-14 10:26:30

Just coming back to update this. Called midwife yesterday as baby was crazy active all day which isn't normal for me in the daytime, combined with the issues day before it had me concerned. They got me in for monitoring and everything was fine, bp etc all normal.

Just a trace of protein and lucozytes (sp) in my urine so it's been sent off to the lab.

I feel a bit bad for wasting their time, it was super busy with labouring women and people with more serioys issues but I am reassured to have been checked out and the staff were all lovely.

YouAreMyRain Fri 22-Aug-14 10:58:31

Waggamama - don't feel bad! I felt like a total fraud even when I was in the maternity HDU and I was really shocked when they had to do the c section at 30 weeks. The problem with pre-eclampsia is that you can feel quite well with it even though it's dangerous. The most important thing is the health of you and your baby, keep making a fuss if you have any concerns, no matter how trivial.

dancestomyowntune Fri 22-Aug-14 11:21:39

i am 6-7weeks pregnant and already have raised bp and protien+++ in my.urine sad

have been told i will be consultant led care, and the chances of cesarean are greatly increased for me. on labetalol atm but praying things will settle in the 2nd trimester.

this is my fifth baby, and i have always been monitored closely from about 36 weeks with high bp. this time its started early though! and i've always managed vbac births before so a bit worried about the posibility of a c section! sad

mrsgembles Fri 22-Aug-14 12:40:52

Popped into my surgery for a quick check today. BP was still a bit high and there were traces of protein in my urine but the senior nurse and GP both checked me out and said I was fine. Going for another check on Tues when I'll be 39+1. So glad to avoid another six hour hospital monitoring stint!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now