Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Broken tooth and pregnant- what will they do?

(14 Posts)
Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 16:13:23

I'm in agony- my back tooth (maybe my wisdom tooth?) has crumbled and a quarter of it has broken off. Now all of my gums are swollen and my ear/throat hurts and I am struggling to eat/swallow.

12 weeks pregnant, have an appt tomorrow, and advice on what to expect/ask for? Can they remove the tooth with general anesthetic whilst I'm pregnant? Will they need to wait for the swelling to go down before they do anything? What pain killers can I take?

Any advice or experience really appreciated, thank you.

nearlymumof5 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:42:13

Hi there, I am nearly 12 weeks pregnant and have had terrible problems with my teeth! I have an impacted wisdom tooth which needs to come out but as it needs to come out under a general anesthetic they won't do this till after baby arrives! I also have another tooth which needs a root canal done which will be done early September, they have given me antibiotics to take and the only painkillers allowed (I think) are paracetamol. As far as I'm aware any work done under local anesthetic will be fine after 12 weeks, hope this helps and hope you feel better soon xxx

Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 16:54:02

Ah nearly thank you SO MUCH for replying, I'm sat here just guessing at what they will/won't do.

I wonder if they could remove it under local? To be honest, I just want it out!! I used to have lovely teeth but my last pregnancy (and apparently this one), is destroying them!

nearlymumof5 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:59:50

No probs :-) fingers crossed it can come out under a local and then it's fixed sooner rather than later! I'm guessing they won't do much tomorrow but if you get some antibiotics down you I'm sure it will start to feel better and then they will hopefully get it out! My teeth have always been ok up until this pregnancy! Thank goodness we don't currently have to pay otherwise I think i would be taking out another mortgage! Xx

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Aug-14 16:59:51

I broke a molar around 25 weeks pg. Dentist used a small - but effective - amount of anaesetic (sp!!!) and filled it with a white filling.

Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 17:17:04

Thanks again nearly and bike that sounds painful! Bloody teeth! I wonder if dentists still use gas and air...I loved that!

nearlymumof5 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:33:10

Haha gas and air is awesome ;-)

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Aug-14 17:41:58

Bloody children and hyperemisis ruined my teeth!

beth1987 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:56:08

Assume will take it out with a local. I've had an impacted wisdom out with local with no sedation but gas and air a few year ago. But was a surgeon rather than a dentist.

Lozmatoz Tue 19-Aug-14 18:01:12

I was given a temporary filling. So far been pretty permanent. Going back after I've had the babe.

Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 19:58:00

Thanks beth and loz good to hear I'm not the only one in this crummy toothed boat. Tomorrow can't come quick enough. I'm going to pull out waterworks and everything to get it out- and if he won't do it I think I'll just go private- I need this thing out of my mouth so I can eat!

RebeccaCloud9 Tue 19-Aug-14 21:55:10

I've been to the dentist today to get a broken tooth sorted - my filling came out a couple of days ago. He used local anaesthetic, drilled out the remaining old filling and put in a new white one. Yay for free dental care!

Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 22:02:48

rebecca yay indeed!

How broken was your tooth? Looking at mine, it seems like a quarter of it has crumbled away completely- did you get a choice of repair or removal? Am I kidding myself that having it out will be easier than rebuilt?

RebeccaCloud9 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:19:24

Mine was 2 forward from my wisdom tooth on the bottom. Probably about a quarter is broken - definitely more there than is gone. He didn't give me a choice of anything really, just looked at it and said, "Right, I am going to give you local anaesthetic and drill out the filling. You are pregnant. So it will be a white filling," and then the drill was in! So very to-the-point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now