Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No maternity pay - advice/anyone else in the same boat?

(11 Posts)
Tangomum21 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:43:52

Hi all,

I have had 3 scans in total to date my pregnancy, and this far, I've been given 2 different dates, the impact being that I prob won't qualify for maternity.
Last week I was told that I was 9 and a bit weeks which would have meant me just scraping in for maternity pay.
Today I've been told that I'm 13 + 4 which puts maternity out by 3 weeks.
I am really excited about the baby yet I can't deny that this puts a dampener on things and now I'll worry about money.

Is anyone else in a similar situation or been through this? Do I have any options or is this it?

Thanks!

smogsville Tue 19-Aug-14 15:49:02

I didn't get MP, just MA as I was preg when started new job. It was a bit annoying but as our company only pays statutory to be honest not completely horrifying as statutory is so rubbish.

It would be very very annoying if your company has a more generous MP policy though.

Ilikecooking Tue 19-Aug-14 15:52:21

You need to see if you'll qualify for maternity allowance. There's a list of dates you'll need to view online which give you a qualifying period. For that time frame I think you either work out your average weekly salary over the 13 weeks if self-employed or send off original payslips if you were employed.

Despite my having 2 employers for my qualifying period, I didn't meet the required salary for mat pay....but I should qualify for allowance.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 19-Aug-14 15:52:58

I just got MA too. Is only a little bit less than statutory.

Tangomum21 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:59:48

Thanks girls, my company has 5 months full pay so I am gutted to be missin out on it, it'll mean I can't afford to take a year out...but such is life...

Ilikecooking Tue 19-Aug-14 16:08:46

Only way to look at it is with positivity flowers we've got more than some people. Congrats on your pregnancy.

I had to work 72 hrs a week (for 18 years with just 20 days annual leave a year) to privately fund my IVF....some things you just can't put a price on.

Wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy.

Ilikecooking Tue 19-Aug-14 16:09:55

Just a thought....can you get proper confirmation of an exact date at your 20 week scan?

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 16:16:08

Will you be able to save like mad during your pregnancy?

thatstoast Tue 19-Aug-14 16:20:44

Wow, five months! I only got MA but my company was a couple of weeks at full pay so it didn't make much of a difference.

So what's the company policy on how long you have to be working there for before you qualify? As it's contractual do you think you'd be able to negotiate anything with them?

Tangomum21 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:20:48

I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow so I'm going to ask her thoughts given the disparity in dates and I was scanned at the same hospital!!
I'm probably clutching at straws, but the EDD is just a guidance after all. So I think confirmation at 20 weeks is a good idea although I know some hospitals only go with the EDD from the dating scan.
My bf has said he'll support me as much as possible but it's hard having to ask someone for money.....

Tangomum21 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:24:54

I'm def going to save like mad now, I guess I could move in with my parents and rent out my flat, that's one of the biggest financial drains...
I have to have 26 weeks service by the time I'm 14 weeks from EDD. I shall certainly try to negotiate with the firm but not optimistic.
In the scheme of things, I know this isn't the end of the world but a nice to have..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now