Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Stopping cyclogest....

(5 Posts)
SeaSaltMill Tue 19-Aug-14 11:25:37

Hi all. I am a cyclogest and aspirin taker due to recurrent miscarriage. The consultant told me to take it up until 14 weeks, which is on Friday.

I'm scared to stop it. Irrationally of course, because I know that the placenta has now taken over and progesterone has done its job. But i'm still scared!

Do I just stop it? I am on one 400mg pessary per day.

Thanks!

SilverLinings2014 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:43:28

Hi seasalt. I was on progesterone support following IVF and stopped at 10 weeks. My clinic were very clear that i just stop, no tapering. Some doctors stop at 8 weeks as the evidence is very inconclusive as to whether it makes a difference from that point.

It is scary stopping and it's not irrational given your history. I found it hard to trust my body to 'do' pregnancy after fertility problems, so I understand your concerns.

Your baby's placenta is well established now though and providing everything it needs, but giving up that psychological crutch of the progesterone is hard. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well flowers

SeaSaltMill Tue 19-Aug-14 11:48:44

Thank you Silver.

I have my nuchal scan tomorrow afternoon (I've had 3 previously) so will go by the date they give me and decide when to stop it. I'm sure its done it's job now.

I still have the aspirin. I think it is a psychological thing definitely, I want to feel I have some sort of control!

sophie150 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:16:47

I was on gestone (progesterone injections rather than pessaries) after ivf and was taken off at 10/11 weeks. This timing seemed fairly standard for ivfers from what I read on conception forums and I was told the placenta would have taken over by then. I went from the standard dose to nothing- I wasn't told to reduce the amount gradually.

14 weeks sounds like a healthy margin for error so I'm sure you will be fine! I had conflicting feelings about coming off- part worry and part joy as my bottom was purple with bruises! But all was good and I'm 25+4 today.

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy x

SeaSaltMill Tue 19-Aug-14 15:03:06

I'm looking forward to not having to use them don't get me wrong! Though I am glad I didn't need to inject. There was talk of me going on heparin injections and I'm very glad I didn't need to!

Glad to hear all is well..thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now