Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I work whilst on maternity leave?

(17 Posts)
Hatetidyingthehouse Tue 19-Aug-14 20:19:07

I think you can. Definitely if it's in the period where your smp has ended. Otherwise I think perhaps it affects the smp pay. Interested to know for definite though...

JennyBlueWren Tue 19-Aug-14 19:31:23

Might be worth asking on a teacher forum such as TES? In our school teachers sometimes come back to some inservice days as part of their KIT or a handover day with their covering teacher or to have a "getting to know you" time with their class.

MrsSpencerReid Tue 19-Aug-14 18:42:28

I think it depends if you had the job before you got pregnant and if taking mat leave from one employer means you don't get it from the other and prob other things!!! I had two jobs before I got pregnant and was able to continue my part time job whilst on mat leave from my full time job,

Missingcaffeine Tue 19-Aug-14 18:40:35

Where I work KIT days are limited to 10 in total and paid at the end of mat leave. If you do any other work, like work for an agency, then your maternity pay is deducted from your earnings, i.e. it's only worth doing at the end of mat leave when you are no longer getting any maternity pay. I think you also have to have your employers permission to work for anyone else.

MrsCK Tue 19-Aug-14 18:34:53

Ah fab! I assume it is the same for exam boards at secondary. Thanks for the info.

Sparkle9 Tue 19-Aug-14 18:23:40
Sparkle9 Tue 19-Aug-14 18:18:58

I was under the impression that exam markers were self employed so allowed to mark during mat leave.

Eastwiththem Tue 19-Aug-14 14:20:45

Would you be self-employed for the exam marking? You can undertake self-employed or voluntary work while on SMP from your regular employer.

SMP is designed to keep you under contract with your main employer, so if you weren't pregnant, would it be reasonable for you to do the exam marking according to your contract? I'd assume that the marking would be done at evenings/weekends/holidays so wouldn't interfere with your normal working hours, and it's unlikely to cause a conflict of interest (unless you end up marking your own pupils!).

KIT days don't have to be whole days either, I know a lot of people use them to go in for team meetings or training sessions to help get back up to speed in the run up to their return. You get a whole day's pay even if you only come in for an hour, so it's definitely worth doing!

MrsCK Tue 19-Aug-14 13:29:19

Ah I see! Ok, thanks for clarifying. Such a shame...some exam marking would have been ideal towards the end of my mat leave! I don't think my employer 'does' KIT days. Certainly nobody else has been in until they have fully returned back to work.

ohthegoats Tue 19-Aug-14 13:13:34

My boss has practically begged me to go back to do 'booster' type sessions for various kids. I'm quite expensive, so I'm surprised he wants me there, but if I could do one day a week or so for awhile that might be quite nice.

DanyStormborn Tue 19-Aug-14 13:10:27

No KIT days must be with the employer you are on maternity leave from. They also must be by mutual agreement, i.e. they can't make you do them if you don't want to but they also have no obligation to offer them to you if they don't need those days work. You could get into trouble with your employer and the inland revenue for doing other cash in hand work.

MrsCK Tue 19-Aug-14 13:01:21

So I could use my KIT days for exam marking?

ohthegoats Tue 19-Aug-14 12:29:10

I'm going to save my KIT days for year 6/SATs revision sessions in early May I think - that's just before I go back, and they might actually need my help at that point for something specific.

Still thinking about the tutoring thing though.

TheJourney22 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:27:48

No you can't as you are already employed. But if you use KIP days then yes that's allowed & you get normal pay.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 19-Aug-14 12:26:12

I pretty sure you cannot work during mat leave, as if you do it legally ends your mat leave. The only exception is KIT days (keeping in touch days), where you can go into work, for upto 10days, at your usual place of work, which you are on leave from.

Ask either hr, a union or similar to be certain.

ohthegoats Tue 19-Aug-14 12:19:33

I'm going to do some pre-SATS tutoring I think, but that's a bit different because it can be for cash. So, I'm interested in the answer too!

MrsCK Tue 19-Aug-14 11:18:42

I am a teacher and considering doing some exam marking whilst on maternity leave...is this allowed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now