Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity leave

(7 Posts)
DrewsWife Mon 18-Aug-14 17:07:30

Saw my midwife today. I'm 22+3. She asked me to consider cutting my work from 4 nights a week to 3. I work 6-12 or 2am dependant. I'm tired and don't sleep a lot. Less now baby is rumbling about with internal gymnastics.

She also suggested that I go off on mat leave at 32 weeks instead of 34.

Had a quick word with boss who sucked air through his teeth. And thinks it could be a problem.

I'm not bad in pregnancy. I do have hip issues which I have been prescribed crutches and codeine for. Trapped nerve and severe pain... Eeeeek.

What do I do. I am struggling with 4 nights a week, normal day to day living. And have little energy.

How do I handle the line manager. blush

HappyAsASandboy Mon 18-Aug-14 17:20:11

You handle your line manager by telling him what you are fit to do and providing him with Fit for Work notes from your GP.

Your GP has basically said you are not fit to work your normal hours; that you are only for to work 3 nights. They should put this on a Fit for Work note, which you hand to you manager, who then treats you as on sick leave (pregnancy related) for 1 night per week and in work for the remaining 3 nights per week. This might have an impact on your pay, depending on what you get paid when on sick leave.

With regard to changing your maternity start date, it is up to you. You should give 8 weeks notice of the new date, and it can't be more than 11 weeks before EDD, but a long as you stick to those rules, you can choose your maternity start date. Your manager can suck his teeth all he wants!

When you present all this to your manager again, stress what you will/won't be able to achieve before you leave so he knows where he stands with regard to getting work done. Other than that, he has no choice but to accept the new working pattern and maternity leave start dates.

DrewsWife Mon 18-Aug-14 17:29:28

Oooooo. He basically told me he couldn't see how it was possible. Asked him when he will be hiring my cover and he said.. I already have two in training. (They are new starts due to staff leaving). Not my cover. So I pointed out that I'm sorry but I'm at nearly 23 weeks. hmm

I can see my head hitting off of my desk!!

Jaffakake Mon 18-Aug-14 21:28:10

Be nice about it, but ultimately it's his problem not yours. He's paid the managerial salary to sort these things out, not you. The law is there for a reason, to protect you and the baby.

goingloombandcrazy Mon 18-Aug-14 21:37:21

Also remember the earlier you leave the earlier you will be due back.

I was coerced into leaving work early by boss. Think carefully

Rufus200 Mon 18-Aug-14 22:04:33

You can get a fit to work certificate from your GP saying you need reduced hours but just be aware that your work is legally allowed to say that they can not accommodate it and put you on enforced sick leave instead of reducing your hours. Then you will be on statutory sick pay.

This happened to me and there was nothing I could do about it. I wasn't well enough to work full time and they were following UK employment law.

DrewsWife Mon 18-Aug-14 23:46:20

I have opted to reduce my hours and use annual leave to prop up my pay.

I start reduced hours in a fortnight. Have put in my matb1 from 32 weeks. I am struggling just now. Spoke to someone in office and everything looks as though it's in place smile.

Fingers crossed I don't finish work tonight and wake up to grumbling texts from line manager in the morning wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now