Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you have had placenta praevia, did you get it again in subsequent pregnancies?

(5 Posts)
susannahmoodie Mon 18-Aug-14 08:07:28

I have dc1 delivered vaginally as dc2 almost 1yo who was emcs due to placenta praevia. With him I was admitted to hospital at 36 weeks and told id be in for 2 weeks before and elcs, but then I had a transvaginal scan and they sent me home after 4 days as thy said the placenta was clear of the os. However it must have been clear enough as at 39 weeks I had a big bleed hence emcs delivery.

I seem to be a little obsessed ATM about whether or not to have a third. The surgeon who did the cs said as I was being wheeled out of theatre that I would be a 'great candidate for a
Vbac' but to wait at least a year before ttc and really I think want to wait a hit longer and have about a 3yr gap, but I'm scaring myself by reading about pp and placenta accreta etc online. I'm 30 atm if that's relevant.

My understanding is that I'm at risk of getting pp again not because I've had it before but because I've had a cs hmm.

So has anyone had pp once then not had it again? Any similar experiences?

CherryPie3 Mon 18-Aug-14 11:17:30

Not me but my cousin. She had 2 normal pregnancies/deliveries, then severe pp with her 3rd and 4th babies. Her dc3 was delivered by emcs at 28 weeks, dc4 also emcs at 29 weeks. 5th baby no pp but delivered at 36 weeks after her waters broke spontaneously.

Each pregnancy is different flowers

CherryPie3 Mon 18-Aug-14 11:17:48

Her dc5 was normal delivery x

Justfivemoreminutesplease Mon 18-Aug-14 11:31:02

Nope - had DD1 with PP and that brought with it a 7 week hospital stay, having been admitted at 30 weeks after a tiny bleed.
DD2 came along 20 months later and no PP. I was told that the chances of having PP again were higher, but that was because the placenta can stick to some of the scar tissue - not sure if that's correct but in any event it didn't happen.

For DD2, Dp's first question at the scan was whether there was a heart beat, immediately followed by "where's the placenta?"

susannahmoodie Mon 18-Aug-14 19:47:23

Ok thank you for the replies. I think that would be my first question too! It was such a worry the last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now