Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tell me what to buy!

(18 Posts)
woodwaj Sun 17-Aug-14 15:04:18

I feel like I am going round in circles on Google! What do I actually need excluding clothes. What did you think was pointless once you had it?

Is expensive necessarily better?!

HELP

Thanks in advance!!

GingerRodgers Sun 17-Aug-14 17:21:49

Nappies - I like pampers for newborn but buy on offer and aldi for later on.

Wipes - I use Huggies pure as really thick and always on offer

Clothes - couple of packs of sleepsuits and vests either in newborn or first size. People buy you loads so don't go too wild.

Car seat - if you drive.

Pushchair or sling - can be off eBay or brand new, baby won't mind! Best to read some reviews and try a few in shops.

Feeding - bottles etc if formula feeding. If breastfeeding, pack of muslins.

JennyBlueWren Sun 17-Aug-14 18:06:27

Something for baby to sleep in.

I'm writing up a list of what I need and what I want in different items e.g. I need a pram which can fold or is compact for going on the bus/train. Then compare items. My husband seems to enjoy looking at reviews for things when he's got some downtime at work so I'm putting him on the case. Will be trying to get things second hand but it's still worth chekcing out reviews.

woodwaj Sun 17-Aug-14 18:31:38

Thanks ladies. I think I have chosen my pram but thats about it and that comes with a car seat. Monitors I have told OH there is WAY too much
choice and as its a 'technology' item thats his job.

I was thinking 4 sleeping bags?

Im pretty sure I have a voucher for half price aldi nappies somewhere!

I was intending on only buying clothes that I really love as I have already received clothes now and im fast realising I prob dont really need to buy any!!

PilauMice Sun 17-Aug-14 19:21:23

2 sleeping bags will be plenty I think.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 17-Aug-14 19:41:22

2 sleeping bags is plenty (1 to wash, 1 to wear).

GingerRodgers Sun 17-Aug-14 19:45:39

We didn't use our monitor until dd was nearly 7 months as she was in with us at night so you don't have to rush and buy it all now.

woodwaj Sun 17-Aug-14 19:46:25

Good to know. Only 1 more to get then!

woodwaj Sun 17-Aug-14 19:48:55

Im more of trying to spread the cost and family members are starting to ask what they can buy so I need to sort out some sort of a list!

Lucy61 Sun 17-Aug-14 19:57:00

Plenty of sleep suits and vests- new born poo, especially if breast fed, goes everywhere
2 sleeping bags are enough
Cotton cot/ Moses basket sheets
Cotton buds for washing baby
Lots of towels and muslins- amazing how much bodily fluids they excrete!
Good quality cotton blanket. Wool is good too but cotton easier to wash.
Non bio detergent
Big tub of sudocrem
Foldable changing mat
Don't splash out on changing bag, unless you want to, because you can get one for free from Boots.

EvilHerbivore Sun 17-Aug-14 20:01:35

Something for baby to wear - generally one layer more than you so vest, babygro maybe little cardigan/jacket if particularly chilly and coat/all in one snow suit/blanket if you go out (obviously dependent on time of year)
Also feel baby's back to check temperature, hands aren't always accurate

Something to feed baby with - possibly breast pump/ nipple pads and cream if planning to breastfeed, steriliser, bottles and formula if planning to formula feed (and practice making it up so the first time isn't with a screaming hungry tiny baby!)

Something for baby to sleep in - Moses baskets are sweet but don't last long so look at bedside cots etc
Sheets for the bed and a few baby sleeping bags are fine, bumpers etc are unnecessary

Transporting baby - sling or pram? Good place to spend money IMO and research lots, no point spending hundreds to find out a few months later that actually it doesn't meet your needs and you need a new one

Other things - nappies (don't buy loads, you don't know what size and shape baby will be so what would suit you best, easy to stock up when you know which type work for you), wipes and nappy cream (I'd recommend Huggies and Metanium but again shop around and see which ones work for you)

Don't worry too much about toys, they really don't care for the first few months, maybe a few black and white books but in the early days just being spoke too is best

Essay over, hope that helped?!

Lucy61 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:03:56

I wish someone had told me that not all pampers nappies are of the same quality! Baby Dry are the best, in my opinion.

Good things to be given as gifts include:
Well padded/ comfortable floor mat for baby to stretch out on
A bouncer/ seat for them to lie on- nothing fancy with music or crazy rocking mechanisms, just well padded and light

woodwaj Sun 17-Aug-14 20:24:10

Thanks both! Lucy my boots pack hasn't arrived yet my cousin has the bag and it looks perfect! I emailed customer services as its been 8 weeks now!

I was considering going from moses basket straight to cot is that ok? My bedroom is big enough for the cot rather than a bedside one so my thought there was why buy one of each when baby can get used to the cot which will make it easier going into their own room?

EvilHerbivore Sun 17-Aug-14 22:28:33

Moses basket straight to cot is fine, I've heard of putting the Moses basket straight in there so they get used to the view etc and its less fuss then to transition then plus no chance of knocking a stand over as they start getting bigger/stronger and wiggling about

Lucy61 Sun 17-Aug-14 22:29:43

My son was big so he outgrew the basket pretty quickly. Like you, I have a big bedroom so I just brought his cot bed in and put it up so that the drop side was against my side of the bed. That was he got used to it and we were sleeping quite close to one another.

woodwaj Tue 19-Aug-14 17:00:23

Thanks I think ill defo do that then! Ill prob do moses basket in the cot till the moses basket is too small

EvilHerbivore Tue 19-Aug-14 22:05:18

Ahhh congrats wood hope it all goes swimmingly for you grin

woodwaj Wed 20-Aug-14 07:32:38

Thanks Evil! Its all a bit daunting this new mum stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now