Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stem Cell Cord Blood Banking - any advice?

(15 Posts)
MissRosie Mon 18-Aug-14 15:45:08

Thanks. I have contacted several clinics and they are going to send me an information pack. It's likely that we will go ahead with this so it's great to get some feedback from those of you who have already experienced it.

Nononon Sun 17-Aug-14 22:33:52

Also used Future Health. Easy to sort (I think - I was obviously in labour so DH was in charge of managing it!) and they sent a phlebotomist. Would recommend also

We used Future Health for this. Very well managed throughout and they also arranged the phlebotomist. No hesitation in recommending.

MissRosie Sun 17-Aug-14 20:55:52

Thanks so much for all of your input! Delayed cord clamping is something that I am very keen to have and one of the main thinking points when trying to decide if banking the blood (for personal and 'public' use) is for us.

ilovemonstersinc Sun 17-Aug-14 20:16:34

The hosp im at currently do Anthony Nolan but I cant donate due to previous blood transfusions sad would love to have helped

munchkinmaster Sun 17-Aug-14 20:11:59

I've banked both babies blood with virgin. We did the community banking which keeps some for you then offers the rest for those who may need it. Upside you have a small sample for you - downside is you may not have enough and you are paying to bank (we could not bank with Anthony Nolan etc as not avail in our hospital).

Felt important to me that no one missed out if they could use our sample and whilst may never be able to use it or need it I thought would rather be safe than sorry.

I thought lots of the companies were a bit crap. We spoke to them at the baby show and the reps were talking rubbish. Didn't understand the evidence base. This was why we went with virgin.

You also may need an independent phlebotomist. At my first child's birth we went with Phlebotomists direct. They didn't come or answer the phone. We took this up with the human tissues authority but basically the Phlebotomists are unregulated.

You can do some amount of delayed cord clamping but makes it less likely you'll manage a good enough sample. Different hospitals will have diff policies.

KatharineClover Sun 17-Aug-14 19:56:48

At antenatal class they said if you do blood cord banking you can't have delayed cord clamping. So your baby could definitely have those stem cells & blood at birth or possibly have them at a potential time in the future. Pros and cons for both I'm sure. I know there are many short term benefits for delayed cord clamping - I don't know whether studies have been done to consider long term benefits of delayed clamping though, and whether this has any impact on the types of illnesses that banked cord blood could help with. For me it's a definite benefit against a potential one, so I'm going for delayed cord clamping (circumstances allowing).

JennyBlueWren Sun 17-Aug-14 19:03:35

Shame it's not available where I live. I can't donate blood due to anaemia but would love to donate cord blood if I could.

Booboostoo Sun 17-Aug-14 18:57:35

We used Cryosave for our DD and are about to use them for our second child. We chose them because they have two storage facilities and because they are the largest in Europe so they have the best chance of still being in business in 25 years' time.

Wg are in Greece and pretty much everyone stores stem cells and now the umbilical cord as well. My friend in Singapore says that most people do it there as well but there seems to be enormous variations in uptake between countries.

HalfPintPickle Sun 17-Aug-14 18:11:46

Our hospital does this - for private use or as a donation to the stem cell bank.

We have to let our midwife know if we're wanting to donate when I'm in labour and they will get the relevant people in to collect the placenta/ cord after the birth. As I see it, the placenta get thrown away after so if someone can make us of the cells for research or to help cure someone, it's all wort it!

They'd also take a blood sample to reference the blood as they can't take your name/ other details on record.

It's free if you donate the blood, but there is a charge to keep it 'private'

ffallada Sun 17-Aug-14 16:23:20

I've just checked out the Antony Nolan trust - looks really great, but only if you live in London, Manchester, Nottingham, Leicester or Birmingham (I suppose that does include quite a lot of people).

ffallada Sun 17-Aug-14 16:19:28

I've been donating blood / blood platelets for years so would happily donate Cord Blood if anyone asked.........

squizita Sun 17-Aug-14 15:49:07

I was thinking if banking for other people to be honest! Medical charities and other labs need them and they have been linked with breakthroughs with some cancer treatments as well as conditions like "butterfly skin" (where you cannot be touched or your skin blisters).
I didn't realise there were companies that saved cells for private use.

ffallada Sun 17-Aug-14 15:31:32

I have an American pregnancy app that keeps trying to buy my childs cord blood / tissue. I assumed that this was a weird American thing that didn't apply in the UK (I also have an American pregnancy book that recommends doing all sorts of weird things in pregnancy - for example I have never gotten to grips with the idea that I should have a gynaecologist and go for regular checks of my fangango just for the hell of it) <wanders terribly off topic>

So looking forward to seeing what replies you get smile

MissRosie Sun 17-Aug-14 14:33:22

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience of banking their child's cord blood/tissue through a private company (e.g. Smart Cells, Cells4Life)?

I am looking into this at the moment and exploring the pros and cons and hope to do this for our baby when he is born.

There are a lot of companies out there who offer the service- to collect and store the cord blood and tissue for an initial fee and annual amount so that if needed by baby when older the stem cell units could then be used to treat illness.

I hope that this will be something that I pay for and never have to use, but would really appreciate any info from anyone who has gone ahead with the procedure or those who are considering it. I know my hospital advertises the Anthony Nolan donation of the umbilical cord blood to be used nationally so hope that they will allow a private company to collect the sample for us.

Thanks so much, R x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now