Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3 door cars

(20 Posts)
Kellyg789 Sun 17-Aug-14 10:42:06

Hi ladies . My husband and I both have cars with no back doors , they have the correct fixes for baby seats at the front and back of the car . Are we doomed or can we survive with the cars we have ?

Baby due in feb
Kelly x

Seriouslyffs Sun 17-Aug-14 10:47:52

It's doable. Not ideal but not impossible to get a baby in and out of the back. You should disable the passanger airbag incase you have a Caesarian though- I can't imagine wrangling a baby into the back after abdominal surgery!
Good Luck!

weebairn Sun 17-Aug-14 11:00:39

We had a little 3 door Ford Ka and we only got a new car for imminent second kid. We didn't have an airbag in the passenger seat so often had her in the front. I found it no trouble really, but there was a lot of clambering so yes it would be quite hard if you'd had a section. It got a bit harder after she was a year old just cause she was physically bigger, but the baby stage was no trouble.

JustGotMyBabyOnBoardBadge Sun 17-Aug-14 19:02:07

The practicalities of getting the baby in and out is only one factor - I've been told the main thing about the doors in the back are in the case of a bad accident as it would be easier to get the baby out of a bad crash with doors...extremely slim chance of getting into that situation but we are changing my car because of it hmm

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Sun 17-Aug-14 19:57:59

We had a three door. it is fine. Save your back and buy a base for the car seat not seat belt secured and you are fine.

bellaboo88 Sun 17-Aug-14 21:36:54

After trying to lift my nephew into his car seat in the back of my new ka, I can honestly say it was a nightmare! I'm going to trade it in shortly...I've loved my little ka, but not practical for me (weakling!) X

LemonBreeland Sun 17-Aug-14 21:39:53

We had one 3 door car that was generally used by the parent who wasn't looking after the baby. If our other car was in the garage and we had to use it, we did find it a bit of a pain. Not so bad for me as I'm short and would just climb right in the back and stoop down. DH couldn't do that though.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Sun 17-Aug-14 21:40:36

Was it a first stage rear facing seat? The trick is to strap them into the seat, then lift the seat into the car. That's why you need the base.

By the time it's a fixed seat, they are front facing (you can't do extended rear facing in a three door without some serious contortionist skills).

ChazzerChaser Sun 17-Aug-14 21:42:20

We survived till 2nd car seat . We wanted extended rear facing and that won't go in front as too high up to see (although some cars do manage) and wouldn't have been able to get him in seat at back. So up to a year ish was fine. A faff but doable

Re accidents it's swings and roundabouts. They're more safe in that they're in the stronger body of the car rather than the weak spot of a door. I don't think cutting equipment would struggle to get them out. And in a bad accident the door may well not function anyway.

katiegee Sun 17-Aug-14 22:03:33

We also have a three door car, baby is due in December and we can't afford to change the car just now... so we'll be making do! Airbag can be disabled so baby can go in the front seat if we find it ridiculously fiddly. My theory is, my parents had a three door car when we were small and managed fine... and loads of other people manage so it must be doable!

SneezySnuffaroo Sun 17-Aug-14 22:50:02

I usually drive a 5 door but I'm currently in DH's 3 door car. It's definitely doable and probably easier when they are tiny and in the rear facing newborn size car seat. Easiest would be strapping them in and clicking the seat into an isofix base.

The next stage car seats are a bit more work, I'm finding, as I have to clamber in to do up the belts (have a 4yo and a 2yo). Also more of a faff to get the seat fixed into place. Again, easier if it's an isofix. I find I need to open the doors very wide to get the kids in and out so I'm quite careful where I park right now (ie with empty spaces either side).

Kellyg789 Sun 17-Aug-14 22:59:02

Thanks all for your help. I think we will keep the cars on this basis :-)

eatingforonemore Sun 17-Aug-14 23:49:58

We have no option sadly, SO put a lot of what was left of his trust fund down as a deposit on his new car before we knew DS was on the way and after looking after his nephew for two days a week for the last six weeks ( giving SOs sister some time alone with newborn to get some rest) it is doable enough. He has a Cybex Sirona and is facing forward in our car, it is the perfect seat for forward facing in a 3 door and we have purchased one for grandparents cars and will use it once DS is out of infant carrier. In forward facing mode it has an impact shield that clips into either side of the seat like a seatbelt, SOs nephew puts the impact shield over himself and I can clip him in from the side closest to me. It is perfect for forward facing and I think it'd be ok in rearward facing option too (from birth) as it swivels to the side which would make life easier for clipping the seatbelt. Would advise taking a look at it, seat is super comfy and padded.

StrippedPJs Mon 18-Aug-14 01:44:11

I had a convertible and a non Isofix one at that it was fine I had it till this April! When my DS was little he had a in car carry cot or if I used his carseat I just lifted him in/out over the top was a lot easier

Dazedconfused Mon 18-Aug-14 18:16:14

I suffer from chronic upper back pain and struggled to get in and out the back seat of our three door so we figured I would never manage even with a cabriofix. We got five door about 6 weeks ago (am 35 weeks) and I love how much easier it is even getting out the front seat

goingloombandcrazy Mon 18-Aug-14 18:20:14

Extended rear facing is possible in a 3 door although I'd prefer a 5 door!

SarahWH23 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:32:26

Just make sure you NEVER put a rear facing car seat in the front seat of a car with an airbag without first disabling the airbag!!

happypotamus Mon 18-Aug-14 21:08:23

We managed fine with DD and a 3 door car. We now have an extended rear facing car seat in it, and will soon have to have a baby seat too. Our real problem is the very small boot in our car rather than only 3 doors. We are struggling to find a pram/ travel system that will fit. DD had a Silver Cross Linear Freeway for DD, but had to fold one of the back seats down to get it in (DH was adamant that it would be fine without checking it after we bought it), but that's not an option with 2 children.

junkfoodaddict Mon 18-Aug-14 22:22:40

I lived with a citroen saxo for 2.5 years with DS. Totally doable but found that I had to stand behind the passenger seat pushed forward to strap him up in his Britax King.
I had his infant carrier seat in the front with me for about 8 months (no air bags) then when he was heavy enough to go into forward facing, I put him the back.
Wasn't ideal as I wanted ERF seat but totally impractical in a 3-door. We have changed the car 8 weeks ago to a Ford B-Max (sliding back doors) and I absolutely love it! Currently pregnant and DC2 will be ERF.

ChazzerChaser Tue 19-Aug-14 08:44:45

Happypotamous we had a baby jogger mini city gt and with the wheels taken out (easy) could fit in a ridiculously small boot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now