Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slow release Metformin

(4 Posts)
EllaBella220 Sun 17-Aug-14 00:00:14

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have GD and was told I needed to take these as my morning numbers were creeping up. Technically they are ALL within limit before breakfast (less than 5.9....usually around 5.4) so I am a bit hesitant to begin them for that reason among others. The only times my 1hour reading have been above the limit has been when I've eaten something I know I really shouldn't like cereal or white toast for breakfast (usually when I can't stomach anything else) but even then it it's not much over the limit and it has only been 2-3 times in 3 weeks. I know if I was eating a bit better in the mornings I wouldn't have any high readings at all but sometimes there's nothing I fancy and at the minute my only food craving is rice crispies!

So.....last week I missed the diabetic clinic due to not feeling well. I rang the nurse and we had a phone consult instead and I read out my readings. She advised me to start the metformin and I said I would. I have an appointment on Thursday of next week.

The problem is, I haven't started them yet because I am really worried about the side effects. I have read numerous times that they cause nausea and diarrhea and as I already suffer from IBS and anxiety related to having to use the bathroom in public places or when there are people in my home (not my partner or kids)...just basically anywhere where people will know what I am doing in there. It sounds like a silly thing to have anxiety about but it's very real for me and I take panic attacks etc if I need to go to the bathroom while away from home. I had been putting off starting the tablets until tonight because I had an appointment yesterday and needed to get shopping etc done today so told myself I would start tonight.

The thing is, I have decorators coming to my home for 3 or 4 days next week and the thought of being sick and having the runs while they are decorating (they're also doing my only bathroom!) is sending me into a tizzy. I really don't want to start the tablets yet because of that but I am a bit worried about what the clinic will say if I don't.

Has anyone been on the slow release version and if so, what were your experiences?

Thanks in advance for any replies x

DitzyDonkey Sun 17-Aug-14 01:18:35

I have pcos and so have been taking metformin while ttc and all through my pregnancy so far.

I have never taken the slow release stuff just the normal. I'm on 1500 mg a day, which is a lot.

Apart from the first maybe three days where I had some diahorea and stomach cramps it hasn't affected me at all.

Your body gets used to it after a few days. Plus if you take the slow release stuff I have heard its much easier on the tummy! Best of luck!

EllaBella220 Sun 17-Aug-14 12:32:07

Thank you Ditzy, I just went ahead and took the first one last night in the hope that any effects will settle quickly enough. Had some stomach cramps through the night but not enough to make me get out of bed so I'm not sure if they were related or just me overthinking things.

Hopefully, as you say, its only a few days before they settle.

CateMercer Sun 17-Aug-14 20:40:06

I thought about asking my doctor for metaformin as I have PCOS but she said that now I am pregnant, the fact I had PCOS is 'irrelevant' and I don't need to do anything or worry. Is this true?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now