Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The left side!

(10 Posts)
Noappointmentnecessary Sat 16-Aug-14 22:23:36

Ok so they say lying on your left side is best when sleeping. I'm doing this, but I'm experiencing my hip and lef going numb - and mild pins and needles - why?

squizita Sat 16-Aug-14 22:30:57

Probably because you are getting heavier and sleeping in one position all night! I get aches in the "bony bits" (hip, shoulder) now I'm 3rd trimester.
Sleeping on your side is good: left is ideal but there is little reputable evidence for right being dangerous. The way the vein runs it is supported by your spinal column when you lie on your right.
So my solutions have been to mostly sleep on my left but:
- roll to my right if uncomfortable (roll, lol, more like epic clambering) for a couple of hours
- use pillows and duvets to pad myself quite a lot on my left
- just get up, stretch and have some water if I wake up uncomfortable: 5 mins up doing this 'buys' me a good 3 hours comfort.

If it persists, speak to your MW as your circulation will be working fglat out so she might want to check blood pressure or for carpal tunnel.

mausmaus Sat 16-Aug-14 22:34:41

the only lying on the left thing is ridiculous.
I just couldn't.
varied between left/right/on back but tilted to left/right.

mrsgembles Sat 16-Aug-14 22:38:12

I lie on my left or right indiscriminately, my midwife and NCT teacher both assured me that this was fine.

Heatherbell1978 Sat 16-Aug-14 22:43:03

I slept on my back until about week 30. Couldn't help it, always woke up that way and found it comfy. Now I switch between left and right through the night. I'd like to stay on my left but it's never been my preferred sleeping position and I get various aches after a while.

squizita Sat 16-Aug-14 22:45:08

Yes "propped up" on back was also OK according to my mW and consultant. I don't because I just prefer my side.

I think even if you sleep 100% flat on your back the risk of problems goes from 0.4% to 0.5% or something tiny in terms of increase. Its not in the league of other "bad" behaviours like smoking. People are hyper aware as its the new scare.
The survey only noted women's sleep positions too - not general work hours, nutrition, domestic set up ... All things which could account for part of that 0.1% minute difference.

MW have long known most women feel "crushed" on their backs ... So when drowsy roll to their side naturally. As the issue is blood supply/veins, the woman would feel uncomfortable on her back before an issue presented.

FirsttimerG Sun 17-Aug-14 06:43:27

I have a very damaged left eye so sleep with a plastic shield taped to my face, and my eye consultants asked me not to sleep on my left side where possible.
It's uncomfortable on my back so my right side is my only option.
Having read online that left side is best in pregnancy, I went to my midwife worried. She told me to sleep however I was comfortable and that it makes very little difference statistically.
So OP from what I am being told I wouldn't worry too much. Xxx

mausmaus Sun 17-Aug-14 08:38:34

I was explained (but don't know if it's true) that midwifes prefer babies to be in the 'correct' side, so that when they come out they 'screw' out the 'right' direction.
but tbh I don't know you can influence babies position like that.

Noappointmentnecessary Sun 17-Aug-14 23:13:15

Thanks for the advice x

StrippedPJs Mon 18-Aug-14 01:46:03

I slept on my stomach for all 9 months of my pregnancy, my DS is fine?...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now