Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Q for my sister (big age gap)

(13 Posts)
FoodieMum3 Sat 16-Aug-14 20:21:18

Not sure if this should be here or in childbirth forum.

My sister is expecting DC2 and her daughter is 12.
Second births are supposed to be generally faster & easier (second stage anyway) but we were wondering if, given the large age gap, it will be like a like a first time delivery all over again? Or is your body/ pelvis/ vagina stretched forever, making subsequent births easier, regardless of the age gap?

WiggleGinger Sat 16-Aug-14 22:31:13

Congrats to your sister.

I asked my MW a similar question as there's 5 years between dd and bump. She said you would be classed as similar to a first time (prima gravida, they call it) mum after a ten year gap.

Hope that helps

FoodieMum3 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:21:09

Thanks Wiggle, I'll tell her that. I think we will be disappointed to hear that though.
Congratulations to you too!

FoodieMum3 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:36:44

*She will be

CherryPie3 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:39:19

Just to add a different perspective... I had dc2 just 16 months after dc1 and the labour was longer and definitely different (not difficult as such). With dc1 my waters broke spontaneously but with dc2 they had to be broken by mw.

Each birth is different smile

CherryPie3 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:41:20

1st labour - 3hrs
2nd labour - 9hrs
3rd labor - 6hrs

CherryPie3 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:41:43

MirandaWest Sun 17-Aug-14 20:42:37

There's 7.5 years between my sister and me and I think my mum found it like a first time birth again.

14 years between my two & it was like a first birth again in terms of time etc (sorry!). But psychologically it was a lot easier - knew what to expect & knew I could do it!

MultipleMama Mon 18-Aug-14 02:32:21

I've had 6 DC and every one has been within 1.5 hours of having the "first" contraction... I say "first" because I don't seem to feel them unless you count cramps until I'm close to pushing confused.

Every PG is different. Maybe she'll be lucky and have a quick one! smile

Fairypants Mon 18-Aug-14 09:14:09

I can't share my own experience as in still pregnant with dc3 - dd's are 11 and 16.
As far as the mw's are concerned, they count the first two when discussing/considering labour and in particular when booking me for a home birth. They gave me the option of first time or refresher antenatal classes and I have seen them less often due to already having had kids. The only area they treat me as going back to square one is pre-eclampsia risk.

FoodieMum3 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:43:49

Great, thanks for replies. I'll pass them on, she doesn't use mumsnet.

TobyLerone Mon 18-Aug-14 09:52:22

I had DC3 in January, after a 12.5 year age gap. It was basically the same as my other labours -- very long and requiring induction. No easier, no harder.

The age gap is fab, though. I have a 13yo and an almost 15yo, and they adore the baby so much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now