Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

wanting to cancel ecv :(

(31 Posts)
Sarah2013mum Sat 16-Aug-14 12:15:45

Hi, i'm hoping for some advice. im just under 38 weeks and after my baby has been frank breech since 30 weeks I had final presentation scan yesterday and talked to doctor about options. My last child was also breech and i had an ecv which did work but the pain was just unbearable that i swore I'd never go through that again.
This time I'm. More concerned as I have an anterior placenta and have found evidence that the risks are much higher due to this.
So why do i find myself feeling pushed into an ecv which is supposed to take place on monday morning.? The doctor was quick to point out that while success rate was only 50% he could have my baby out in under 4 minutes should he become distressed or placenta detaches.
I reluctantly agreed yesterday but have had no sleep all night and jave been so emotional. I have this awful nagging feeling that somwthing will go wrong and im just waiting to pluck up the courage to ring to cancel app sad
Ive never been very good at stating my wishes and feel like im going to end up having to go anyway and they will perswade me to let them.
Whilst this is my 4th baby and id rather avoid a section id much rather have a planned one than an emergency its just getting the point accross i guess.
So confused and worried sad

beccajoh Sat 16-Aug-14 12:20:27

I thought they didn't do ECV for Frank breech presentation. Please don't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to. You are absolutely within your rights to change your mind. It's your body and you'll (I presume) have to sign your consent to have the procedure?

AlpacaMyBags Sat 16-Aug-14 12:21:25

You are entitled to refuse (and I would refuse it too and go for a C-section instead).

Can you take your DH/DP with you? You need to let them know and he needs to back you up.

Sarah2013mum Sat 16-Aug-14 12:29:03

Apparently my hospital "perform ecvs for any breech or placental position apart from one covering cervix"
although after research I've found that many hospitals won't even attempt one when placenta is anterior due to increased risk of abruption. Doctor seemed very keen on making me agree to try it. Before booking a section. I tried to explain that I wasn't just trying to "wimp" out of it as I have had it performed before, but that after losing a baby last year in 2nd tri I felt extremely lucky to have got this far and wanted to avoid an emergency scenario :/
his answers were that statistically a section still carries more risks but it's bound to appear like that when they perform sections every day opposed to the few evc that they perform?

westcountrywoman Sat 16-Aug-14 12:47:44

Go with your gut feeling. It's your baby, your body. If you want to say no, say no.

For what it's worth there's no way I'd have an ECV ever. Rather risky in my opinion.

Eatscones Sat 16-Aug-14 13:24:48

It sounds like you've done your research and know what you want. Go with it. Take someone trusted to your appointment with you that you can discuss what the doctor is suggesting and voice your wishes. I understand as my sister is much like that, so she likes when I or her DH can be there to make sure she doesn't just go along with the professionals suggestions when she isn't comfortable doing so. Get support, always good smile

CoolCat2014 Sat 16-Aug-14 13:29:38

I'd go with your instincts. I personally wouldn't want an ECV, and it's your body and your baby, so your choice. Don't let them pressurise you into a decision you're not happy with.

bronya Sat 16-Aug-14 13:32:10

Just phone and cancel on Mon morning. I would say no in any circumstance, as damage is not always noticeable straight away, and it's too much of a risk I think. Stick with what you wanted, and book a C section. Your body (and your baby), your decision!!!

GingerScouse Sat 16-Aug-14 13:34:11

I wouldn't have it done. Call and cancel and book your much less stressful section. You seem to have already made up your mind.

IdaClair Sat 16-Aug-14 13:40:26

It is good to have a second opinion, and it is good to know your options. Is not booking an ECG and not booking a c-section an option for you?

onedogatoddlerandababy Sat 16-Aug-14 13:58:56

I wouldn't have had one either if it had been offered.

Pick up the phone and cancel, just say you' discussed it further and you're uncomfortable with doing it and want to book your section.

Good luck and stand your ground, you are perfectly entitled to say no, don't let them convince you to go against your wishes flowers

butterfly86 Sat 16-Aug-14 14:00:44

My dd is 8 weeks old and was breech from 26 weeks I felt pressured in to having a ecv but I stood my ground and had a section it's your choice at the end of the day and you can change your mind at any time. I just didn't feel right my gut feeling was not to do it and I think you have to go with that I just wanted to get my baby out the safest way possible and I know I made the right decision. I had a section booked but went in to labour at 37+5 so had an emergency one but it was still very calm, I know it would be more scary following problems with the ecv but honestly it's nothing to worry about please ring and cancel if it's not what you want.

FishWithABicycle Sat 16-Aug-14 14:00:46

I think you have every right to go with your instincts. There is no guaranteed risk-free path, and whatever happens the most important thing is that you can feel that you made the best choice you could, went in with your eyes open and weren't pushed into anything you felt uncomfortable with. If you get pressured into any decision then it can have a really long term effect as you can feel the after-effects of this for years after the event even if nothing goes wrong.

I didn't know what ECV stands for so googled and found this old thread warning people of the dangers of ECV. There is certainly merit on both sides of the argument but it seems to me that Caesarian is riskier for the mother whereas ECV is riskier for the baby - given this choice it seems obvious to me that many mothers would prefer to risk their own health rather than their baby's.

You do whatever seems best to you. You are the only one who can make this choice.

Sarah2013mum Sat 16-Aug-14 18:15:59

Thank you for all your kind advice. I rang the triage number and got upset explaining my reasons against going in on Monday morning and having it done.
The midwife on phone was really nice and explained that she can understand I felt pushed into it by consultant and that no one can force me into having something done that I don't want.
She said I still need to attend Monday as arranged but to explain I've changed my mind and they can then book me a date for a section. She said I still need to attend so I have a plan of delivery by that day.
My husband will be coming and will make sure that I get my point accross and leave with the plan I want. So fingers crossed the Consultant won't Tey to perswade me differently! (I've never been the most forthright person)
I've had 3 "normal" births and so I'm hoping it's clear that im not against a normal delivery. In fact I was looking forward to another vaginally delivery it just seems my lb has other ideas.

I don't have the option to wait it out as I've previously had 2 births with pph and retained placentas they wouldn't let me have a breech birth ( I don't want that either)

I'll keep you all informed !
Thank you again for all your unbiased comments

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Sat 16-Aug-14 18:22:31

If you want more oomph to your decision do some research into 'gentle' c-sections. I would choose that option over ecv any day.

Sorry. Hope that makes sense. I'm knackered and gibbering

FreeSpirit89 Sat 16-Aug-14 18:55:34

I would maybe speak to another consultant it sounds to me like he sees this as an opportunity more than anything. Which while sad, still happens.

If you don't want the procedure. Say no, have the c section.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 16-Aug-14 21:01:13

It's ok to refuse. I would. Hope you manage to get a plan in place when you go in on Monday.

Cyclebump Sat 16-Aug-14 21:06:28

I had a failed ECV last week that didn't hurt at all, but my breech was uncomplicated. I'm glad I gave it a go, but had I not had the straightforward presentation I did, I would have had huge reservations.

Sounds like you have thought it all through and know you don't want it.

Take your DH and say no, it's your decision and you don't need the stress.

Sarah2013mum Sun 17-Aug-14 11:44:34

Thank you all!
Will let you no how it goes tomorrow. I'm so hoping to leave there having made my point and have a plan in place given that I only have 2 weeks to go.
cyclebump apparently the pain felt is just an "indicator of the skills of the doctor performing it". Which I was told yesterday although that's slightly worrying! [Shock]

Sarah2013mum Sun 17-Aug-14 13:01:01

Thank you for all your kind advice. I rang the triage number and got upset explaining my reasons against going in on Monday morning and having it done.
The midwife on phone was really nice and explained that she can understand I felt pushed into it by consultant and that no one can force me into having something done that I don't want.
She said I still need to attend Monday as arranged but to explain I've changed my mind and they can then book me a date for a section. She said I still need to attend so I have a plan of delivery by that day.
My husband will be coming and will make sure that I get my point accross and leave with the plan I want. So fingers crossed the Consultant won't Tey to perswade me differently! (I've never been the most forthright person)
I've had 3 "normal" births and so I'm hoping it's clear that im not against a normal delivery. In fact I was looking forward to another vaginally delivery it just seems my lb has other ideas.

I don't have the option to wait it out as I've previously had 2 births with pph and retained placentas they wouldn't let me have a breech birth ( I don't want that either)

I'll keep you all informed !
Thank you again for all your unbiased comments

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Mon 18-Aug-14 19:08:13

How did it go?

Sarah2013mum Tue 19-Aug-14 11:10:17

Hi sorry for late update. Yesterday seemed like a long day!
I went in and midwife immediately said "do u need the toilet before we start" where as I suddenly turned into a sobbing mess and stated that I didn't want it. Massively surprisingly the midwife was really nice and supportive. She said it was fine and called the consultant. Who also was really fine about it and from her own reaction I think she personally wasn't that keen on them either. In fact she looked relieved that she wouldn't have to perform it.
So I'm now booked for a section in 13 days! Spoke with surgeon and while it all seemed very surreal she feels that as it's my first section it should be straightforward without complications.
She said how some women still felt pain 6 months down the line but when I explained that at that point at least I no my baby would be here and safe and as a mother I would put my baby's safety in front of my own she was fine!
While a section wasn't something I would have chosen I do feel like a huge weight has lifted now. There's a tiny chance he could still turn but consultant doesn't seem to think that will happen as he's a good size and more surprisingly after 3 previous children my stomach muscles are not as "slack as they would expect" lovely smile

beccajoh Tue 19-Aug-14 11:17:57

Great news. Glad you've got the outcome you wanted. I've had two sections and although I found the first couple of weeks quite hard, on the whole it was all ok. You know you're having one so you can plan for it and know you're going to need extra help for a few weeks.

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Tue 19-Aug-14 16:50:46

And really do research gentle or natural cesareans to see if it's something you might like. A friend had one recently and it sounded like a really positive experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now