Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How did you tell people you were pregnant?

(49 Posts)

I've not got my 12 weeks scan for 3 weeks yet but am thinking of maybe doing something fun to announce baby to friends and family who do t already know if I ever get up off the coach! :D has anyone got any ideas or anything that they did? Thanks

plinth Wed 13-Aug-14 19:31:49

I said "I'm pregnant"

Really, other people (barring grandparents) are not as wildly excited as you.

My husband us american and it tends to be a big thing to have an announcement so I was wanting to do something for his family more than mine smile

NinjaPanda34 Wed 13-Aug-14 20:06:26

We got a t-shirt for my 10-year-old niece that said only grandchild I'm going to be a BIG COUSIN! Took a few people to spot it before the penny dropped though.

JennyBlueWren Wed 13-Aug-14 20:37:39

To announce on Facebook I put up a picture of the oven with a bun in it (I do do quite a bit of baking) and titled it "Bun in the oven". Folk did get it eventually!
When announcing in person we just said "I'm pregnant".

SallyMischievo Wed 13-Aug-14 20:52:51

Our announcement to our friends happened to tie in with my birthday celebrations so we ordered Baby on Board cupcakes and unveiled them at a suitable moment! Photo here:

Lozmatoz Thu 14-Aug-14 06:04:08

I'm with plinth. Most people will be very pleased hearing the news, but with the exception of close family and friends, it's such a big deal for them. I just told people when I saw them. BUT, we're all different, I couldn't think if anything worse than announcing it on Facebook. If a big announcement is for you, go all out!

Bellyrub1980 Thu 14-Aug-14 06:15:01

No grand gestures here. Just told people. Parents face to face at 12 weeks, most other close family and friends over the phone at 14 weeks so we could be sure it was 'out' on the same day.

I like the idea of 'announcing' it in a unique way but I was far too nervous of people's reactions to do that.

skyra13 Thu 14-Aug-14 07:14:17

I have only told parents and brother, we had a little bbq at the weekend invited them over, we were celebrating our 1st year anniversary.
My in laws are all ready grandparents but my parents are not, so i made a cake for the pudding and iced on a stalk carrying a bundle saying New Grand Chid took them a moment but there were very excited.

I have had to tell a few people at work as my job is very physical i've just said i cant do that bun in the oven smile

mssleepyhead Thu 14-Aug-14 07:44:50

It was Christmas so to tell our parents we gave them a gift bag with a digital positive pregnancy test inside. I found it hard to say the words!

Heatherbell1978 Thu 14-Aug-14 10:09:05

I told my friends 'I am pregnant'. And then put an announcement on Facebook when I was 14 weeks and had told my work. Grand gestures are perhaps more of an American thing (as you've said) so you might not get a lot of inspiration from more reserved Brits!

ohthegoats Thu 14-Aug-14 10:17:47

I told my mum at around 16/17 weeks - it was mother's day, so I put a scan photo in the card. We were just off to my nephews 1st birthday party, and she didn't say a thing. On the way home she asked if she could tell my dad. Sweet. Anyway, dad and my brother came home from work just before I left to come home, my brother said 'What's news?' as he always does, and I just said 'I'm pregnant'. Him and dad nearly fell over - my brother is the breeder in our family, I'm the 40 year old career woman/big traveller. Haha.

SeaSaltMill Thu 14-Aug-14 10:21:50

I've told a few people by text and most just face to face. I find it very awkward!

We might put something on facebook at a later date possibly around 16/17 weeks, mainly because my DSC (11 and 14) really want to! If we do we will include them somehow, as its addition to our family rather than just for me and DH. I quite like the little pictures some people do, say, 4 pairs of converse and a baby pair or something. I wouldn't put my scan pic on facebook though, its too personal.

CherryPie3 Thu 14-Aug-14 10:23:10

You should definitely search 'pregnancy announcements' on Pinterest!! We are not American but we will be doing a tongue in cheek announcement if we ever have another child - we have 3 already so will be a shock to everyone of we have another. Our families will find it funny grin

TinyMonkey Thu 14-Aug-14 10:39:04

Told close friends and relatives after 12 week scan face to face or by email.

Posted a picture of my 'baby on board' badge on fb after 20 week scan. Like SeaSaltMill I had no wish to post a scan pic on social media, too personal.

I also tried to take into account that some people may be upset by a big showy announcement (having been on the other side for many years), and let them know with a more personal email first.

SeaSaltMill Thu 14-Aug-14 10:45:47

Tiny Monkey, same. I used to want to throw my phone when I saw yet another pregnancy announcement in the 2 years it took (3 mc in that time) and I wouldn't want anyone else to feel that way. Scan pics and moaning people were the worst. You know, 'Urgh no more drinking for me' etc

Babiecakes11 Thu 14-Aug-14 10:53:37

We are counting the weeks until the 12 week scan my side already know due to clicking that I wasn't drinking at a family party but dp's side doesn't so we are going to get a T shirt for ds saying I'm going to be a big brother and see who reads it first z

melonballer Thu 14-Aug-14 11:27:11

By screaming "oh FFS! WHAT???' in the toilets at work. That did the trick. grin

ohthegoats Thu 14-Aug-14 11:46:32

Some people at my NCT class had their mums say 'Come on then, tell me what I already know...'. I loved that my mum had not. a. clue. She didn't even think that the scan photo was mine, it took her a good 20 seconds (during which she had to go and get her glasses), to say 'Oh, are you pregnant?' - her next question was 'Is that a good thing?'.

somethingbeginningwith Thu 14-Aug-14 14:12:57

We didn't announce it, just went round to close family and friends to tell them as I'm not one for facebook announcements. DP would have written a daily update but I'm a little more private. I liked seeing people look confused at my ever-growing bump, worried that they might offend me grin

BF did a fab announcement though. They had a few issues early pregnancy so bar me and family, no one else knew. After they'd found out the sex, they put up 3 photos on fb.

1. Ingredients "Just so you know..."
2. Cupcake in oven "We have a bun in the oven..."
3. A bite taken out of the finished cupcake revealing blue sponge "And it's blue. Ready on <the due date>

Firstpregnancy2014 Thu 14-Aug-14 14:17:12

I told my parents round easter time.. so i went to thorntons and got one egg that said grandma written on and one for grandad. They were SO happy
Unfortunately my mum passed away a few weeks ago... but we found the easter egg still in the box wrapped in tissue paper and stored away. Looks like she was trying to preserve it - unlike my dad that wolfed his! Ill never forget telling her and im so grateful i got the chance

Miskate Thu 14-Aug-14 14:27:42

Agh Firstpregnancy that's making me do a little weep (6 months pregnant)

cowbiscuits Thu 14-Aug-14 14:37:32

I've just found out I'm pregnant about an hour ago! Very early- i'm less than 4 weeks!
So far only shared it with people on the conception threads!
Haven't even told DH yet!! It was our wedding anniverary yesterday so I had hoped I would get a BFP then.

I've just messaged him to tell him I have an anniversary present for him when he gets home!

somethingbeginningwith Thu 14-Aug-14 14:43:56

cowbiscuits gringringrin how exciting. Congratulations!!! Have a wonderful post-anniversary celebration!

Babiesbabieseverywhere Thu 14-Aug-14 14:44:35

Congratulations cowbiscuits! How exciting!

We told our parents all together by giving them cards to open at the same time! They were all very surprised and pleased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now