Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Seeing the GP - silly question

(15 Posts)
ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 18:32:44

I have a gp appointment to confirm the pregnancy. What happens? Will I be examined? What kinds of clothes do I need to wear?

Have not been to a GP for anything other than a minor infection before - stupid, elementary question. But it's a small concern. Possibly because talking to the doctor makes it really real.

TheBuggerlugs Wed 13-Aug-14 18:35:24

The GP won't confirm your pregnancy as the test you've used yourself is just (if not more) sensitive than the test they'd use. You don't actually need to see the GP unless you are likely to have a high risk pregnancy and would be better booking to see the midwife around 8-10w. The first proper confirmation of the pregnancy you'll get is a 12w scan unless you wish to pay for an early scan.

Same as above round here, you just book straight in with the midwife.

Gp would probably tell you to go to reception to book in with mw.

ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 18:40:52

Oh right. I didn't know. I thought someone with more authority than me or a pissy piece of plastic would tell me properly. Well, I've the appointment made so I'll go along anyway.

Also blush congratulations smile there'll be no examinations until your twelve week scan (then it's a scan not examination) unless you have any problems.

ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 18:42:55

I'm in Ireland, by the way, so I don't know what the setup is with midwives but the receptionist didn't mention anything.

Oh ok may well be different where you are!

ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 18:45:48

Thanks, I do feel easier in my mind! No need to do extensive deforestation and dig out the mammy style unders for medical situations...

Vintagebeads Wed 13-Aug-14 18:46:11

You go to your GP.
The care is midwife/GP shared care.
The GP will ask if you want to go public or private and if you have a preference of gyne (though publically your unlikely to see them)

Congratulations smile

Vintagebeads Wed 13-Aug-14 18:47:27

by shared unlike the UK you ser your GP between hospital appointment and the midwife at the hospital appointment...sorry I hit send too quick.

ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 18:52:28

Thanks, that is reassuring.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Wed 13-Aug-14 18:56:32

Some places you just book in with a midwife (that's what I did with my first two) but live in a different place now and they said I have to see a doctor before I can make a mw app. There seems no standard procedure

petitverdot Wed 13-Aug-14 18:57:17

I'm in the UK and my GP practice asks that you go to the doctor first, and he refers you to whichever maternity service you choose. He weighed me, took my blood pressure, checked how I was feeling, and that was it! smile

Redling Wed 13-Aug-14 19:43:27

No one has once looked at my vagina yet this pregnancy and I'm due on Friday smile so GP probably won't need to! Mine just referred me straight to midwives who contacted me when I was about 11 weeks for booking in appointment and 12 week scan date. It's a long wait, and my mother was going mad that no medical professional had 'confirmed' my pregnancy. (I was throwing up so much I was pretty convinced, but she was not !) but they don't test. Congratulations! Look after yourself!

ApocalypseThen Wed 13-Aug-14 22:13:28

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now