Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy of unknown location

(8 Posts)
acaiberry Wed 13-Aug-14 17:32:16

I feel like I am on a rollercoaster. Found out I was pregnant on Sunday (happy!). Went to see doctor on Monday and was referred to Early Pregnancy unit for a scan. Went today (Wednesday) to be told they can't see anything (sad!)... so my pregnancy could be a miscarriage, an ectopic or simply too early to see anything. Needless to say I am worried and feeling low and can't share this with anyone as it's too early to announce the pregnancy... any words of wisdom as I spend the next week having scans and blood tests whilst I am being monitored? xxxx

KitKat1985 Wed 13-Aug-14 17:45:45

Can I ask how many weeks you are? It can be difficult for sonographers to see much if you are only 4-5 weeks for example. Was there a reason your GP referred you to EPU in the first place (pain, bleeding etc?) as it's not standard to be referred for a scan unless you have symptoms of miscarriage or ectopic? xx

acaiberry Wed 13-Aug-14 17:48:07

I don't know how many weeks unfortunately as I haven't had periods since coming off the pill which is why I was referred to EPU... I took a clearblue test and on Monday it said 1-2 weeks whilst yesterday it said 2-3 weeks... is it normal to see so much discrepancy in one day? No bleeding or any symptoms of miscarriage, so hoping all is well? xx

Annietheacrobat Wed 13-Aug-14 17:52:58

The fact that your clear blue indicator has gone up is a good sign (though these tests are by no means perfect). The most likely explanation is that you are pregnant and that it was too early to see anything on a scan. When are they scanning you again?

acaiberry Wed 13-Aug-14 17:55:43

I have to be monitored for a week, which will involve a series of blood tests, then more at-home pregnancy tests... They didn't mention another scan for now :/ feels scary!! x

yellowrose2728 Wed 13-Aug-14 18:05:44

Ok - I'm not a medical person, but have had a lot of experience and know a lot of useless facts smile

Clear blue indicators usually work as follows;

Pregnant 1-2 weeks = hcg levels 25 - 200
2-3 Weeks = 200 - 2000 HCG
3+ weeks = 2000+

An early scan won't show a pregnancy sac (or it is v v unlikely) if your hcg levels are under 1500.

Therefore it is probable that you are having a normal early pregnancy - it's just a little early. It seems your levels are rising ok. Do you have another appointment booked?

acaiberry Wed 13-Aug-14 19:23:54

I have blood test on Friday - if hormone level doubling then another scan in a week. If lowering means I've misscarried. If rising but only just means ectopic. Just want it to all be ok. Thanks for your support, all of you. Means so very very much right now!!

angeltattoo Thu 14-Aug-14 08:20:02

I had this OP. Early scan showed PUL. hCG levels doubled over two days, a scan a week later showed a little bubble/unterine pregnancy. DD is now 16 months old.

It could just be too early to show on scan, blood tests will tell you more. Keeping everything crossed for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now