Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When / where to take maternity notes?

(25 Posts)
MiniLop Wed 13-Aug-14 15:41:50

Hi everyone!
I had my 12 week scan today (I thought I was 12+4 but they've dated me 12+1 so only lost 3 days!)
Everything 'normal', so now I can relax about it. I've been really stressing about this scan since I found out I was pg!

This is my first baby so not sure how everything works.
I guess I don't need to carry around my maternity notes everywhere I go until I'm closer to my due date, but I'm going to Spain with DH and some friends on Monday, only for 5 days, would it be a good idea to take them, just in case? I'm only taking hand luggage so would rather not, unless you think it's really advisable?

Also, I'm going to book a holiday for just me and DH at the beginning of Oct (I'll be 20 weeks ish), should I take them then?

Thanks in advance! grin

Littlef00t Wed 13-Aug-14 15:51:22

I took them practically everywhere, there were really dog eared by the end. I didn't want the additional worry if there was an issue and they couldn't get on with whatever it was they needed to do as they didn't have all the info they needed.

Littlef00t Wed 13-Aug-14 15:52:16

You could always have a flick through and photocopy important pages?

squizita Wed 13-Aug-14 16:05:34

I was told carry them everywhere (or a copy of key details), if you were in even a low risk accident out and about (eg a broken toe or something) A&E might appreciate them re X rays or painkillers.

Hobby2014 Wed 13-Aug-14 16:09:43

I didn't take them everywhere as midwife said it was very important not to lose them. If I was within a reasonable distance from home, I wouldn't take them then could always detour to get them should I need to go to hospital. However if you're going far/on holiday I would take.

MiniLop Wed 13-Aug-14 16:25:58

Thanks everyone! I think as Littlef00t suggested I'll just copy the most important pages and take them to Spain, otherwise they'll definitely get crumpled in my hand luggage!

squizita Wed 13-Aug-14 16:45:17

I would take a full copy abroad.

It is very important not to lose them, but it's is also important to have them if you have a medical emergency. The least likely time you can pop home and collect them.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 13-Aug-14 17:16:40

My iphone is pretty good at taking clear photos of paperwork. So I took photos of each page that the midwife had written something on when I went to Spain at 23 weeks. I felt better knowing the information was on me at all times.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 13-Aug-14 17:21:13

I dont carry mine with me but I am now 30 weeks and have come away for three nights to another city so have brought them.

MiniLop Wed 13-Aug-14 17:38:47

Bellyrub - what a brilliant idea! I've got an iphone too and is perfect for taking detailed photos of documents!
Thanksgrin

Brummiegirl15 Wed 13-Aug-14 20:14:12

I have been told by my midwife, my obs & gynae doctor sister and my work occu health that I need to carry them everywhere. In fact I didn't have them and actually got a telling off by occu health for not carrying!

I've put them in a plastic sleeve to stop getting dog eared. The reason is if you are in an accident/taken unwell this is the first thing paramedics will look for - and if you aren't far gone when they check your bag (they will do that to get id ) it alerts them to the fact that you are pregnant.

If they are in your phone, they are only of use to you! A paramedic isn't going to know they are on your phone or even the code to unlock it.

So I'm carrying round all the time

squizita Wed 13-Aug-14 21:27:21

Brummie that was exactly what I was told... eg if I was knocked out, baby would be safe but medics would want to know I'm pregnant plus any issues (blood pressure, vomiting, back pain or blood clot issues) as all could influence 1st aid/drug doses.

JennyBlueWren Thu 14-Aug-14 08:12:44

Would be handy to have a little bracelet or something saying "I'm pregnant" like the diabetes and epilepsy ones people wear. ]

I don't carry my notes around as I'd lose them (I lose everything!) and didn't take them with me when I went to stay with my parents in England for a few days or when we go to in-laws for weekends. There wasn't much in them then and I thought that if anything happened I'd phone my husband to get the info. Later on I'll carry them to work with me and will take them when we go on holiday to Lake District in October.

Ours do come in a plastic wallet thing so at least that helps protect them a bit.

Scoobsmam13 Thu 14-Aug-14 08:33:22

Ditto brummie I got a right telling off when I called one of the m/ws who asked for my hospital number and I said I didn't have my notes on me. I was at work 2 miles away from home.
I will be honest, I still don't take them to work, however I went up north for a few days and took them with me. I'd take them to Spain if it were me.

squizita Thu 14-Aug-14 08:50:21

The trouble is "I'm pregnant" really isn't enough. I'm pregnant, x weeks, my blood pressure is x, I am on xyz (anti coagulants or anti biotics perhaps), my age is x, I am high/low risk, my fetus measures x...

In the heat of the moment they don't have time to do a scan and mw checkup.

Take a photocopy if you lose items. Medical bracelets are there for a "one shot" solution to an illness: I.e. so people know if you're found collapsed. Notes fulfil a completely different purpose: they are useful even in the early stages, if you are taken ill with something unrelated.

TinyMonkey Thu 14-Aug-14 12:36:13

Took mine to Greece last month, and they'll be coming to France with me next week too. I keep meaning to photocopy/scan them so I have a spare copy and will email the scanned copy to MrMonkey.

Useful stuff in there like the fact I'm Rh neg and how far along I am, especially useful if you're away from home and unconscious.

Oh dear. You're all making me feel guilty. I'm 39 weeks and mine only leave the sideboard for mw apps or weekends away. Um, maybe I should shove them in my bag?

Redling Thu 14-Aug-14 16:29:40

I've never taken mine out to work, or just out to the shops etc I have to say, just on the 2 or 3 times I've been overnight anywhere during the pregnancy. It's a big file and I'd be more concerned about losing the notes if I had them everywhere in bags. But I would take them abroad for sure, or if I had a specific medical issue relating to the pregnancy or that would affect treatment.

Brummiegirl15 Thu 14-Aug-14 19:51:59

Ah mine aren't a big folder, it's just a load of A4 pages stapled together, so I pinched a plastic wallet from work to put in <perk of work I suppose> and have just shoved in my handbag

JuniDD Fri 15-Aug-14 22:06:13

I've only taken mine anywhere when I went away for the weekend. I'm 30 weeks now.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Fri 15-Aug-14 22:10:18

Was I meant to do this?! Pregnant with dc3 and never carried my notes anywhere except to an appointment!! Opppppps!

Lucylouby Fri 15-Aug-14 22:13:36

I used to take my notes away with me every time I went away. Except the one time i stayed at my parents, baby wasn't moving as normal and I was admitted to the local hospital for checks etc. we had recently moved to a new area and I didn't even know my doctors name and address (we had recently moved areas to). My blood pressure was high, but they didn't know what mine normally was to compare it to and their as no where for the mw to write her notes for me to take with me in case it happened again. It was quite stressful and after that I always carried my notes with me.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 16-Aug-14 07:16:18

Mine live in the boot of my car as I drive everywhere. Went to London on the train recently and took a photocopy of the key pages. I worked on the basis that DH was with me so could give a reasonable history if I passed out unexpectedly.

time2deal Sat 16-Aug-14 07:46:19

I bring my notes with me most of the time. As Lucy said the one time I forgot them I had high readings on bp (as it was a stressed surprise visit) and now there is no record of that our other things found at that visit.

If you are worried about losing them, take a copy and leave the copy at home. I'm certainly much more diligent now about them always being with me. I'm in hospital today, and if I hadn't had my notes I think they would have sent me home as my high risk'ness isn't obvious or well known.

time2deal Sat 16-Aug-14 07:46:24

I bring my notes with me most of the time. As Lucy said the one time I forgot them I had high readings on bp (as it was a stressed surprise visit) and now there is no record of that our other things found at that visit.

If you are worried about losing them, take a copy and leave the copy at home. I'm certainly much more diligent now about them always being with me. I'm in hospital today, and if I hadn't had my notes I think they would have sent me home as my high risk'ness isn't obvious or well known.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now