Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

swelling!!

(10 Posts)
scrufhead Wed 13-Aug-14 15:37:16

Hi! I'm 38 weeks on Saturday! I've just noticed in the past half hour swelling on my hands along with white patchy dots :S has anyone else had this? I don't want to bug the midwives if it's normal! I've attached a photo too! Thanks

Miriama Wed 13-Aug-14 15:47:51

My hands have been swollen for a few weeks now, I'm currently 36 weeks. The midwives haven't been concerned about it, but if it is new to you and you are worried call the midwives and seek advice.

Heatherbell1978 Wed 13-Aug-14 19:02:41

I get those dots a lot and sometimes on my arms too. To do with circulation/blood pressure and tends to go as quickly as it appears. I have riduvulously low blood pressure which I think is the cause. I've never worried about it or mentioned it to mw but of course if you are you should.

scrufhead Wed 13-Aug-14 21:00:05

Thanks all! I just wasn't really sure what it was tbh! I have no other problems so I'm not too worried smilesmile

Scoobsmam13 Thu 14-Aug-14 13:31:54

I couldn't wear any of my rings with DD1 from about 30 weeks. My hands and feet were really swollen. It was low blood pressure I think was the cause for me too. Try and drink more, it doesn't cure it but might help.

SweetPea3 Thu 14-Aug-14 15:51:11

Isn't swelling also a sign of pre-eclampsia though? I would call the midwife just to be on the safe side. Pre-e can come on very quickly and can be very dangerous for you and baby. Better to be safe than sorry!

SweetPea3 Thu 14-Aug-14 15:54:44

I just did a search of mumsnet and this info came up:

"Symptoms of pre-eclampsia:

Raised blood pressure may be the only symptom you get, although others are:
- Headaches
- Sudden swelling or unexplained weight gain
- Visual disturbances
- Upper abdominal pain

The hospital will check your urine for traces of protein (which indicates kidney problems), another symptom. "

In my case it was just raised blood pressure - no other symptoms (not even protein in urine). The diagnosed me with Pre-e one day and baby was induced the next day, at 37w.

Missingcaffeine Thu 14-Aug-14 16:22:38

You should definitely call your midwife. If you have sudden new swelling, you need your blood pressure and urine checked to be sure it's not pre-eclamsia.

scrufhead Thu 14-Aug-14 19:28:06

Thanks for the replies! my nan and aunt both had pre eclamsia pretty bad! I've been in the antenatal unit a few times with my BP and floaters/flashing lights. I'm gonna give them a call as my floaters today have been worse sad thanks all x

SweetPea3 Thu 14-Aug-14 19:58:51

Good luck! Hopefully it's all ok - let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now