Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Consipaton sorry if TMI

(16 Posts)
lucielu76 Tue 12-Aug-14 21:15:58

Hi, I am 18 weeks pregnant with twins and I am so constipated it's awful it like passing razors blades when it does happen which is rare. Any tips?

CoolCat2014 Tue 12-Aug-14 21:19:26

Prune juice, prunes, sweetcorn, lots and lots of water, and anything high fibre.

If it's really bad go see your GP as you can get laxatives that are safe in pregnancy like fibogel.

Prune juice, the sunkist one. It does work I promise, I'm constipated the minute I get pregnant

divingoffthebalcony Tue 12-Aug-14 21:52:05

Personally, prunes just give me stomach cramps and Fibogel is worse than useless.

Get a prescription for Movicol. It might take a few days to work, but once things are moving again you can safely take a maintenance dose of a sachet per day so you don't get constipated again.

My guts are very sensitive to progesterone, so I understand grin

divingoffthebalcony Tue 12-Aug-14 21:52:53

Btw, Fibogel isn't a laxative, it's a fibre supplement, and you can get it without a prescription.

lucielu76 Tue 12-Aug-14 21:53:03

Thank you will try them. Have been a bit slack with my healthy eating of late so will look at that. Had a little success tonight but I did spend an hour sitting on the loo!

lucielu76 Tue 12-Aug-14 21:55:37

I'm seeing my midwife tomorrow so will mention it. I know I need to have some blood tests to check my platelet levels and I know they asked about my bowels when I mentioned my nose bleeds and strange bruising so maybe it's related

Squtternutbaush Tue 12-Aug-14 21:59:13

I ended up in hospital with constipation in my last pregnancy so you have my sympathies!

I was given Lactulose (I think that's what it was called), advised to eat a portion of dried apricots and drink 2 glasses of prune juice although this was after an enema which did help BTW grin

mssleepyhead Wed 13-Aug-14 07:08:47

I've taken one sachet of fybogel every day since things started getting tricky around 20 weeks. The only problems I've had since have been on the odd days I've forgotten. It's one I those got me through my pregnancy essentials for me!

meringue33 Wed 13-Aug-14 07:20:30

Lactulose. It's nice and gentle.

SneezySnuffaroo Wed 13-Aug-14 07:30:00

I've taken lactulose too and it did work. Think I bought it over the counter but you could get a prescription for it. But if you want quicker results, prune juice! Yucky taste but really did the job. Just don't have anything planned where you'll need to leave the house for a few hours...

ohthegoats Wed 13-Aug-14 07:44:37

I feel your pain. Constipation has been the overwhelming physical symptom of my whole pregnancy, I'm quite preoccupied with it in fact.

What 'worked' changed all the time. Currently All Bran is the best thing. Tastes like cardboard.

Gen35 Wed 13-Aug-14 08:34:10

It's wretched isn't it? Fresh apricots around at the moment and regular porridge eating and a couple of apricots a day had really helped.

DudleyDoRight Wed 13-Aug-14 08:36:05

Dried apricots, bran flakes and lots of water

Ariel21 Wed 13-Aug-14 16:24:52

Lactulose, prunes, all bran, lots of water. Not saying any of these really work I am 40+5 and have been constipated for 9 months.... With bastard piles too. Good luck!

squizita Wed 13-Aug-14 16:50:52

Fybogel + prunes + lots of water + food with a reasonable fat content (sometimes low fat doesn't help)!
I also found leafy veg helps!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now