Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bleeding at 10 weeks

(24 Posts)
sianihedgehog Tue 12-Aug-14 00:47:01

Hi all,
I'm just past 10 weeks in my first pregnancy at 36 and I've just started bleeding along with back pain/cramps, all just like a period.

I've been fairly symptom free throughout except for sore breasts, which also stopped at about 8.5 weeks. The near total lack of symptoms has been making me terrified that I'll miscarry anyways, and the bleeding is shitting me right up. I've called NHS 111 and the doctor that rang back basically just said "eh, wait until morning and if it keeps up call your GP" which wasn't exactly reassuring.

To complicate matters I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon for a Panorama test which is £400 I really desperately can't afford, but also begins with a scan. I have no idea what I should do. Should I try to cancel the test? Try to get a referral to the EPU for a scan? Just ring up the clinic that I'm meant to have the test at and see if they'll just do the scan and check that everything is normal and only charge me for the scan if it's not??

Help??

SecretWitch Tue 12-Aug-14 02:55:00

Siani, this must be so frightening to you! I would ring the clinic where you are having the test and explain what is going on. Perhaps they will have better guidance for you. I know you want answers right away, I'm so sorry you have to wait. Please let us know how things turn out..I will be thinking about you..(( hugs))

AlpacaMyBags Tue 12-Aug-14 03:00:45

I agree, the clinic where you're having the test is probably the quickest route to find out what's happening. I hope everything's ok.

sianihedgehog Tue 12-Aug-14 10:44:22

Been to the GP who has referred me to the EPU at the Royal Sussex for tomorrow morning at 9:50. Rang up and cancelled the panorama test and scan - they were really very nice about it. Still bleeding - it's still light, though, really just spotting, so I'm trying to remain positive and tell myself that it's probably okay (as per this www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828396/).

At least if I miscarry I can have a fucking beer at last, right?

TeaRex Tue 12-Aug-14 12:41:05

siani I know you must be petrified but it might all be fine, I had bleeding from 7.5 to about 18 weeks, the first bleed being huge with clots, really thought it was game over but bleeding during a healthy pregnancy is much much more common than you'd think. Got everything crossed for you, hopefully you'll need to stick to becks blue smile x

Chattycat78 Tue 12-Aug-14 20:04:14

I had a red bleed at 8/9 weeks which scared the life out of me. I was also in the Maldives at the time so there was basically jack shit I could do. I was convinced it was a miscarriage and prepared for the worst. However a scan back home showed all was well. I hope you get the same result. X

Loveallmyboys Tue 12-Aug-14 23:09:52

Ive bled heavily w/clots all the way through. 22 weeks later he's still cooking away,so don't assume the worst. Good luck tomoro x

CheesyBadger Tue 12-Aug-14 23:13:44

I also bled for a week at your stage, with cramps, and was so devastated I had a week off work crying on the sofa. All was well in the end and it was suspected implantation bleeding, possibly hitting a blood vessel. No idea. Doctors aren't always very reassuring as they just can't tell or do anything this early on, but sometimes all is well. My sister has had this with her pregnancies too. Good luck.

sianihedgehog Wed 13-Aug-14 12:40:54

Just back from the hospital. The scan could see a fetal sac, but no baby and no heartbeat. I have to go back in a week for final confirmation and to check if my body clears it all out on its own, but it's a miscarriage.
Ah well, I know it happens to one in five pregnancies, and we'll just try again.

And now I am going to drink a god damned beer.

Evonnemarie Wed 13-Aug-14 14:10:29

My symptoms are exactly the same as yours. I am also 10 weeks. I am sitting in pain right now. I am gutted for you but you sound positive and this is actually helping me as the fear of a miscarriage is not helping! I wish you all the luck in the future. My appointment is in 30 minutes. Xx

AlpacaMyBags Wed 13-Aug-14 15:17:07

Sorry to hear that, siani. Enjoy your beer and take it easy.

kitkat321 Wed 13-Aug-14 15:31:37

Sorry to hear that hun xx

sianihedgehog Wed 13-Aug-14 15:38:50

EvonneMarie, I hope it goes better for you than me. But if not, it's really helping me to just think of it as a part of the whole process. One of my mates said to remember that at least this means I CAN get pregnant, and to think of it like the estate agent just coming in and measuring up the rooms before the actual tenant moves in. Sort of practice for my body.

Evonnemarie Wed 13-Aug-14 20:08:41

Hi Sian, I too am having a miscarriage sad(( the pain was hell and it's happening naturally. I am beginning to feel better but hugely because there is no pain now. I'm having real trouble breaking the news to my mum/dad this is making me teary every time I think about it.Once again your last message helped me I read it 3 times. Thank you. I truly wish you all the the very best xx

sianihedgehog Wed 13-Aug-14 21:22:10

Evonnemarie, Telling people is the bit I find hard, too - I almost feel like I have let them down, but that's really silly. It happens all the time and there is nothing more I could do, and we should all probably just talk about it and normalise it for each other a bit.

And everyone has been wonderful. Several friends have told me that they've been through it too, and offered to chat if I need to. It really does happen so very often, so many women go through it.

I couldn't handle phoning people or doing one on one talk about it straight away myself - I told my mum on facebook. I think everyone understands if you just say that you are getting your head around it in privacy and you'll want to talk more when you have had some time. We all like to process really upsetting things a bit before we have to talk about them.

Evonnemarie Wed 13-Aug-14 22:00:04

Yes I feel I have let my husband down also..you never know exactly what they are thinking but we have both cried with each other. Yes one in four, my husband says that it happens all the time too. I like the thought of normalising it..smile this comforts me I think it is because I try to protect others. I've not told mum yet as she lives in Scotland I England therefore I will wait till I feel a little stronger. I'm glad you have support your friends sound wonderful..smile
You're so right I have to get my head around things before sharing. I never told many people I was waiting till the 12week scan but my mum told one of my sisters maybe that was a blessing as I may need her or not. Xx

kitkat321 Thu 14-Aug-14 08:50:13

I'm so sorry both of you.

I've been there myself and had 2 early miscarriages and thought I was never going to have a baby but a few months later I fell pregnant again and am now 24 weeks gone with a baby girl who is currently kicking lumps out of my uterus!

It feels like the end of the world when it happens but it's not and it's made me appreciate this baby even more knowing that pregnancy is not as straightforward as I thought - most people only find out about the 1 in 4 stat when it happens to them but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.

Hugs to both of you!

Evonnemarie Thu 14-Aug-14 09:06:24

Thank you Kitat321 smile your message does help. That is lovely news congratulations!

Yes you're right I never knew it was so common.

X

Chattycat78 Thu 14-Aug-14 19:27:48

I'm sorry to hear about these outcomes. If it helps, this happened to me last year at 8 weeks- I went for a scan due to spotting to find no bsby, just a sac. I then had to have an ERPC to deal with it. It's so common it's scary, but it's unlikely to happen to you twice. Thinking of you both. Xx

soph123kay Thu 14-Aug-14 22:12:09

ive just been through the same thing..... ive only found out today my thoughts are with you xx

Evonnemarie Fri 15-Aug-14 10:19:32

Chattycat78 thank you and I am sorry to hear your news.. Thank you also for giving me hope..smile
Soph thank you and I'm thinking of you..huge hugs!! x

ApocalypseThen Sun 24-Aug-14 15:09:10

I had my miscarriage confirmed last night. It's not easy, but I'm trying to see the best in it. I'm thinking of this one as a trial run. I was a bit shocked, for example, by my weight when I saw the GP, and really apprehensive about the weight I'd have to put on. So I've a chance now to get all the things that I had wished I'd sorted before in place knowing far more about my body and pregnancy than I did before.

Quirkyname Sun 24-Aug-14 16:15:31

I'm sorry to hear this ApocalypseThen, hugs! I love your positive thinking!! I too had one 2 weeks ago and the power of healthy thinking helps tons. Good luck for next time x

ApocalypseThen Sun 24-Aug-14 16:31:23

You too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now